PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this is?

Ken Platt
11-27-2009, 6:05 PM
An interesting looking tool posted on the free section of my local Craigslist. I don't know if it is still available, but thought I'd see if anyone recognized the machine. Some kind of overarm router deal?

Ken

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/zip/1482234133.html

Gary Gleave
11-27-2009, 6:20 PM
Its a old pin router. Could be a 1970's Onsrud, and most likely 3 phase.
Tell him you want the car with it.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-27-2009, 8:01 PM
I think that is a 1970, 71 or 72 Chevelle..., the car that is. That machine certainly looks interesting, but I'm having a hard time imagining why. Price is ok though.:D

Steve Clardy
11-27-2009, 9:14 PM
Yep. Overhead pin router.
I have one that's very similar. Weighs about 1500 #'s.
3phase

John Shuk
11-27-2009, 9:58 PM
If it can be gotten going it is an unbelievable tool.

Jack Camillo
11-27-2009, 10:12 PM
I'd grab it in a heartbeat if it was in Maryland...

David DeCristoforo
11-27-2009, 11:35 PM
OK... let's see. Free. Tool. What was the question?

Really, overhead routers can be very useful. I have a Delta from the mid eighties but is is a lightweight compared to that one. I would trade it in a heartbeat for a big old hunk of iron like that. One thing though... forget about mobile bases! That thing probably weighs a ton (literally). One of the most important things with an OH router is that the plunge mechanism has to be smooth and vibration free. The only way to accomplish that is mass. That's why those things were so...well... massive....

John Coloccia
11-27-2009, 11:49 PM
I noticed that add and would pick it up for myself if:

1) I had the room
2) I had 3 phase (and it probably wants 3 phase I'm guessing)

Pin routers are wonderful. The only problem with them is that it's easy to go down the rabbit hole making jigs and fixtures, adding indexing features, hold downs, etc etc etc.

David's spot on about the mass, too. I have the little Shop Fox pin router and I am generally not very impressed with it. It works, and for the price it's not awful (although in retrospect I think it's over priced), but it just barely works and required modification to get even reasonable function out of it. Bah. That just goes to show how useful they are. I really like most of the tools in my shop. This pin router I merely tolerate, but only just and only because it's so darn useful.

george wilson
11-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Some of those old pin routers use a flat,thin belt that might have to be custom made. I can't tell if the one in question has a direct drive motor. If it does,and the motor burns out,it could be a big problem fixing it.

scott vroom
11-28-2009, 12:50 AM
It's a 19th century dental drill.