PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in coincidence?

keith ouellette
11-27-2009, 4:53 PM
I only mention this as it applies to wood working in some way.

I have known this person for years and she never knew I liked wood working. When she found out last week she showed me a little piece of furniture she thought I would be interested in. It was a little rocking foot stool. I had never seen anything like it before.

I haven't picked up a wood working magazine in weeks and decided to do some reading today while I relaxed. I have a small collection of older popular wood working magazines I bought at a garage sale years ago and never looked at.

I grabbed one at random from that stack of old magazines (Not to long ago I was thinking of getting rid of them because I never touch them) and as I thumbed through it I found an article on the very piece of furniture I was shown the week before.

I thought it was a little strange. Does that mean I should definitely make one or is it just a coincidence?

John Shuk
11-27-2009, 5:59 PM
I think it is a sign that you should make it!
Some coincidences are kind of amazing though.

Steven DeMars
11-27-2009, 6:04 PM
Speaking of rocking foot stools, I just made a very simple one for my wife to put her feet on under the desk . . .

She has told me it keeps her legs moving and eliminates a lot of the discomfort associated with sitting at a desk for long periods. . .

Must be that time of year for foot stools . . .

Steve:)

Dave Lehnert
11-27-2009, 6:17 PM
I was looking on line at some oriental boxes and starting doing a search on how to make the lid. After searching for some time I gave up. The next day I was on the Internet and happen to look down at a WOOD magazine on my desk. What was on the front cover. How to make that exact box I had seen on the net the day before.

Mitchell Andrus
11-27-2009, 6:47 PM
Someone better versed in chance and probability can have at it better than I can, but your chance encounter is akin to picking a tile in your kitchen floor and dropping a handful of pennies. Sooner or later, your tile will have no pennies, exactly the average of the other tiles or twice as many pennies as any other tile.

But, yes... It is odd that you picked the exact magazine (tile) and it had the correct article (penny) in it.

Quick, go buy a lottery ticket.

Mike Henderson
11-27-2009, 6:54 PM
If you had not been primed to look for a rocking stool, when you picked up the magazine you would have seen the article but you would have thought nothing of it. You would have just gone on with your life.

But since you were primed, when you saw the article you noted it.

Those things happen all the time.

Mike

Heather Thompson
11-27-2009, 7:10 PM
When I was 18 I drove to the White River in Arkansas for some camping and trout fishing, met a guy named Marc and we hit it off very well, about four years later I drove back to the same place for a long weekend. I pulled down to the same boat ramp and there was Marc, he put a new motor in his car the week before and decided to drive from his home in Tennesse to the White River to break it in.

A few years after that I rode my motorcycle to California to visit Yosemite National Park, on my way home I ran into three guys that I went to high school with, they were coming home from Yellowstone.

I guess this would put me in the I believe in coincidence crowd.

Heather :D