PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Magazine Blues

Dennis McDonaugh
10-03-2004, 8:01 PM
I used to subscribe all the popular woodworking magazines, American Woodworker, Wood, Popular Woodworking, Fine Woodworking, Workbench and Woodworkers Journal. Slowly I've let them all lapse, even Fine Woodworking. I've visited Barnes and Noble six or seven times in the last three months to browse the latest issues and have yet to find anything that interests me enough to buy. I don't see anything new, just recycled ideas and tools reviews shuffled from one magazine title to the next. The most interesting parts of the magazine for me is the reader tips section and the short articles in the first few pages of each magazine, but I can't justify $6 or more for a few pages each month. Has anyone else had these thoughts are is it just my end of summer malaise?

Betsy Yocum
10-03-2004, 8:07 PM
Dennis - it's not just you. They are all the same. It's like how to videos on paper - not enough information and, like you said, it's all the same stuff - just different packaging. At least you did not mention checking out the new Woodworking for Women magazine - you would have gotten ill altogether!!! At least the more sucessful magazines usually test run their projects - WWFW doesn't and it shows.

On the flip side though - there are some new books on the market that seem to fill the bad mag niche for me - so I do have something to read.

Betsy

Rich Konopka
10-03-2004, 8:48 PM
Mission Mission Mission Mission Miision Misssion Arts & Crafts Mission Mission Shaker Mission Mission Glue Test Mission Mission Bogus Retest of Glue Tool Buyer Guide Mission Mission Mission Mission Miision Misssion Arts & Crafts Mission Mission Shaker Mission Mission Glue Test Mission Mission Bogus Retest of Glue Tool Buyer Guide

Nah I'm not sick of them.

Jack Hogoboom
10-03-2004, 8:52 PM
Dennis,

i am at the opposite end of the spectrum. i can't get enough magazines. I must subscribe to 12-15 of them. It's so bad that I just started to get Woodturning from the UK. Not only that, but I've gone on Ebay and bought back issues to the point where I have complete collections of 7-8 magazines. My wife thinks I'm nuts!! If I find a new magazine, I pretty much subscribe right away. The only ones I haven't enjoyed are Weekend Woodcrafts, Just Woodworking (which went into the tank pretty quickly) and American Router.

I find that, as a relatively inexperienced woodworker, the techniques described are really valuable. Also, I love the projects!! When I'm looking to build something, it really helps to have access to plans of so many different variations. The best part is that the tips and projects don't seem to get obsolete. By contrast, I would never keep old computer magazines since everything changes pretty quickly.

If anyone is looking for an old article, I'm the guy.

Jack

Jack Diemer
10-03-2004, 9:02 PM
I am more like the other Jack except, I only subscribe to Shopnotes and Wood Magazine. However, I have bought close to 500 magazines on ebay and off the Woodworking forums at about an average of $1 a piece. Since Woodworking doesn't change much, I have decided to save spend my money on 5 old issues instead of one new issue. As for the latest news on tools and stuff, that what I go to these forums for.

Joe Scarfo
10-03-2004, 9:21 PM
Dennis,

i am at the opposite end of the spectrum. i can't get enough magazines. I must subscribe to 12-15 of them. It's so bad that I just started to get Woodturning from the UK. Not only that, but I've gone on Ebay and bought back issues to the point where I have complete collections of 7-8 magazines. My wife thinks I'm nuts!! If I find a new magazine, I pretty much subscribe right away. The only ones I haven't enjoyed are Weekend Woodcrafts, Just Woodworking (which went into the tank pretty quickly) and American Router.

I find that, as a relatively inexperienced woodworker, the techniques described are really valuable. Also, I love the projects!! When I'm looking to build something, it really helps to have access to plans of so many different variations. The best part is that the tips and projects don't seem to get obsolete. By contrast, I would never keep old computer magazines since everything changes pretty quickly.

If anyone is looking for an old article, I'm the guy.

Jack

Jack,

I remember when I subscribed to anything I saw for pretty much the same reasons you do. It's been a number of years now and I've let all my subscriptions lapse.

Anymore, I scratch out the ideas for a pjct on paper and simply start cutting. I enjoy the completed project much more. Before you know it, you'll be doing the same thing. For me, it started with slightly modifying pjcts from the mags and grew from there.

Good luck w/ the hobby.

Joe in Tampa.

Jim Taylor
10-03-2004, 9:30 PM
Funny, I am about to let my FWW and FHB subscriptions lapse... I was thinking that a periodic check at Barnes and Noble, and the FWW website, will let me know if I am missing anything interesting...

I like both mags, but it seems like I go through them in about an hour, and the cost just isn't doing it for me... I like the ebay idea.... maybe I will start looking for used books/mags.

Jim

Dick Parr
10-03-2004, 9:34 PM
Dennis I have done the same and let all mine lapse. :( I get more from this forum then I would from the magazines in the last 5-6 years. :D

Betsy Yocum
10-03-2004, 9:37 PM
I think it comes down to where you are in your woodworking skills - a beginner - novice - to intermediate probably would get something out of subscribing to a few of the magazines. However, the more advanced you are the less they offer.

I'm also with Rich on the Mission, Mission, Mission, - I'm tired of it already!!! But with that said - I'd take Mission over this "distressed" garbage coming out. I don't know about you but if I want something to look like an antique - I'll go antique shopping.

Betsy

Gredo Goldenstein
10-03-2004, 9:41 PM
I have also been off the woodworking magazine buying track lately. I still do read each issue of Fine Woodworking and the LOML gave me a subscription to Popular Woodworking last Christmas.

I LOVE mission style furniture. But just how many magazines have run, how many articles about this style?

I have been reading more books lately. Taunton Press publishes some nice titles.

Reading on the Creek gives the most info of all! :)

Betsy Yocum
10-03-2004, 9:41 PM
When they start having "great" articles about the little things that make a project work - and not just focus on the big picture - then I might like them better. Especially things that are such a mystery to people getting started - like - say - barrel hinges - for one - Every one that I can think of that even mentions hinges (other than mortise hinges which are easy to explain) just say "install as per instructions" - or something like that. Well- as we all know a lot of these things come in tiny bags without instructions - so - you have to guess at it - or find someone to teach you. That to me is not a complete article. I know there is a limit to what can be put into articles - only so much copy space - but there has to be a way to make them better.

Steve Clardy
10-03-2004, 9:47 PM
Cabinetmaker magazine and Woodshop news.
All the others [probably had all of them at one time or another] got so boring to me I let them go. Wasn't anything in them for me anymore.
The two I take now are more business related which fits the bill for me.

Steve:)

Carole Valentine
10-03-2004, 11:41 PM
I've only been into woodworking for a year, but already I find that the mags are mainly just rehashes of stuff I have already read. I am also sick of tool reviews. I was particularly disappointed in Wood this month...seemed to take only 15 minutes to read it. Think I will see if I can find back issues of ShopNotes on Ebay.

Scott Parks
10-04-2004, 1:39 AM
Having more than enough spare time.... And being a tightwad.... I go to Barnes & Noble once a month, Buy a Starbucks, and in an hour, I can read all the interesting points of about 8 mags... However, I did buy the last Pop Woodworking with the Euro style workbench. I'm drooling over that bench, and someday, it will be mine!!!!

Tom LaRussa
10-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Having more than enough spare time.... And being a tightwad.... I go to Barnes & Noble once a month, Buy a Starbucks, and in an hour, I can read all the interesting points of about 8 mags...
HAH! You call that being a tightwad?

I take my own coffee to B&N... :p

Steve Beadle
10-04-2004, 11:31 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I have a collection of woodworking magazines and articles gathered over the last twenty years or so, and have been cataloging the articles on a computer database--a pretty painstaking job. This allows me to quickly search through my collection for information on specific types of projects (tables, lathe projects, bookcases, chests, hutches, sharpening techniques, etc., etc.). But what I have been noticing for years now is HOW FEW REALLY NEW ARTICLES there are. The editors at the various publications must really be scratching their heads to be able to come up with something new.
I pretty much skip over the tool reviews, especially if they are non-committal in their conclusions. Too much like an advertisement. Leave the advertisements to the ads, is the way I feel!
One new publication that I have twice purchased is American Router. It is a nice glossy publication with some interesting articles, BUT . . . I have never seen such sloppy editing. Misspellings abound, even in headlines. The picture captions sometimes bear no discernible relation to that which is pictured, as far as I can tell. I just have a hard time following some of the wording. I read it, and just shake my head. Nice idea for a magazine, I guess, but very poor execution.

Scott Coffelt
10-04-2004, 11:41 AM
It's just not WWing mags only, in general I would have to say that none of the mags I read anymore are as good as they used to be. It seems that 80% is advertising focused. I still get Shop Notes and Wood, though Shop Notes has not been worth the price paid for years now. I have every issue and wonder some times if I should just let lapse. At least the Wood magazine price wasn't too bad per issue. I like FWW, but just too plain expensive for what you get nowdays.

Personally, the Internet has more than anything to do with it. You can get almost any information you need for free anymore.

Marshall Harrison
10-04-2004, 12:30 PM
I read everything I can get my hands on (I love to read). Wife doesn't like me spending money on magazines so I think I can solve your problems and mine. Just send me all of your old magazines :D

Ellen Benkin
10-04-2004, 1:12 PM
Taunton Press has beautiful books, but they also have many titles on the same topics. Now, I know different "experts" will do basic woodworking differently, but how many books do we need on basic woodworking? And now we have basic woodworking for women? Trust me -- the table saw works the same way for women as it does for men! Women may feel intimidated in classes with a large majority of men -- but the reading material is not usually gender based except in the references to "his" tools.

nic obie
10-04-2004, 1:41 PM
HAH! You call that being a tightwad?

I take my own coffee to B&N... :p

My kind of man :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Betsy Yocum
10-04-2004, 1:52 PM
Taunton Press has beautiful books, but they also have many titles on the same topics. Now, I know different "experts" will do basic woodworking differently, but how many books do we need on basic woodworking? And now we have basic woodworking for women? Trust me -- the table saw works the same way for women as it does for men! Women may feel intimidated in classes with a large majority of men -- but the reading material is not usually gender based except in the references to "his" tools.
Well said Ellen - I'm getting sick of the marketing going on to get the women's woodworking dollars. While we may still get paid less for a days work - our money spends just the same thank you very much. What's the worst part is the marketing stinks to boot. What exactly is "women's woodworking?" Wood is wood, ripping is ripping, and a mortise is a mortise no matter your gender. Woodworking for Women Magazine - is very little more than crafts. I feel sorry for the ladies who have contributed to the magazine - they work hard on the articles only to have them butchered by the magazine staff who has no woodworking experience at all. And what's with Tomboy tools? Yikes - better stop - that's another story line.:mad:

nic obie
10-04-2004, 1:56 PM
:eek: Tomboy tools :eek: ...you've got to be kidding!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Betsy Yocum
10-04-2004, 2:02 PM
:eek: Tomboy tools :eek: ...you've got to be kidding!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaa
Nope not kidding - its a real company - with real "women's tools." How long they last is anyone's guess. When I see a "for women only 52 inch table saw" I'll begin to take them seriously.

Keith Christopher
10-04-2004, 2:18 PM
couple of comments:

Ellen: THANK YOU ! I always wondered how wood working differed for women over men. I was beginning to think there was a differnet set of tools or something.

I subscribe to woodsmith (I still love that mag) and wood magazine. But over all I would love it if they gavve me something to read. I just wish they do some cool stuff not all mission style. But I guess that's what happens when articles are submitted by the readership. Why not staff a set of expert woodworkers and really pull out the stops. Maybe publish a magazine for advanced woodworkers, with REALLY difficult things. I have YET to see an article for doing some complex patinas, or perhaps more difficult projects. challenge me please.

Frank Pellow
10-04-2004, 2:47 PM

And now we have basic woodworking for women? Trust me -- the table saw works the same way for women as it does for men!

I'm getting sick of the marketing going on to get the women's woodworking dollars. While we may still get paid less for a days work - our money spends just the same thank you very much. What's the worst part is the marketing stinks to boot. What exactly is "women's woodworking?" Wood is wood, ripping is ripping, and a mortise is a mortise no matter your gender.

Well put, both Ellen and Betsy.

I have never understood why more women do not take up woodworking. My aunt was a very skilled woodworker. My mother was an enthusiastic, even though not as skilled, woodworker. One of my two daughters is an experienced and good woodworker. My other daughter, although not as interested, certainly has leaned many woodworking and home repair skills.

Jack Hogoboom
10-04-2004, 3:48 PM
I don't know folks. I think you're all getting a little jaded. For example, I don't see how you can't love Chris DeHut's Woodworking at Home. His magazine is the wave of the future. Not only can you read it and get the drawings, etc., but with this magazine you can acutally watch them build something. Kind of like Norm but without having to pay separately for the drawings. In particular, I like to watch Dick Sing's woodturning demos, although he is clearly nervous around the camera.

Also, having learned to hand-cut dovetails from Frank Klaus, I now read everything he writes religiously, because he is a no nonsense, efficient guy. Everytime I see Ian Kirby describe his laborious process or see someone with complex layout methods, I have to laugh.

Yes, there is a lot of duplication in the magazines. I expect I will weed my enormous collection down to size eventually. However, there are still interesting projects and techniques every month if you want to expand your learning curve.

For the person doing his own computer index. Stop!!! There is a commercial product out there for about $35 that catalogs all of the mainstream magazines and is current up to about 2 years ago.

If you'd like to discuss books, I have at least as many of those as I do magazines. If you go to Ebay and look under Books, Non-fiction, crafts and hobbies, woodworking they usually have about 800 books for sale at any given time. There always seems to be something to buy.

Jack

P.S. Please don't tell my wife about this. I'm trying to convince her this is all "normal". ;)

Keith Outten
10-04-2004, 5:21 PM
I don't think I have purchased more than five woodworking magazines in the last ten years. I used to subscribe to several but like most of you I got tired of the same ol stuff.

These days I also find so much information on the Internet that I can easilly find something enjoyable to read and of course woodworking forums all contain a wealth of information. It sure would be nice to see more of our members writing Articles for our Articles Forum, I know there are plenty of you who are capable and even a novice can write an article about a project that taught them a lesson or two.

Consider this a challenge...from those of us who are hungry for knowledge. Help us try to put together over 1000 articles here at the Creek, a knowledgebase if you will, by woodworkers for woodworkers!

Submit your woodworking or home improvement article here at SMC!

Jim Becker
10-04-2004, 6:32 PM
I do find value in the magazines I take, but the number of subscriptions has decreased through attrition (non-renewal) for some time now. But I've also found that I get more out of FWW and Woodwork now than I do with WOOD; likely because the techniques and projects are more where "I'm at" technically now as compared to a few years ago. But no matter what I'm reading, I always learn something or reinforce previously gleaned knowledge. Those three will likely stay on as subscriptions while any remaining subscription issues will be the last for other publications.

I agree about Woodworking At Home that Jack mentioned. Excellent. I only wish I had more time to watch them...I have a backlog!

Craig Colvin
10-04-2004, 7:54 PM
There suddenly seems to be a run on woodworking magazines on eBay. I'm guess this thread may have something to do with it. :)

Frank Pellow
10-04-2004, 9:54 PM
I don't subscribe to any magazines, but I have averaged a purchase of one a month for the last three years. The ones that I buy always have at least one thing in them that I am quite interested in.

One example is the sawhorses that I built from Nick Engler's plans in the Jan 2004 Popular Woodworking Jigs and Shop Tips issue.

Another is Fine WoodWorking annual issue of Tools and Shops. From the three issues that have been published so far, I obtained lots of good ideas and inspiration for building my own shop. I am looking forward to the winter 2004/2005 issue.

I must also admit to a fair amount of browsing at Chapters (a Canadian big box book store with an attached coffee shop) but (unlike Tom) I do buy their coffee :D -and occasionaly I purchase a magazine :) .

Todd Burch
10-04-2004, 10:36 PM
I guess it was about 6 years ago that I let all my mags lapse. Too much advertising, not enough content. Usually only about 1 paragraph or less, in the final paragraph, on finishing aspects. Too much emphasis on particular tool usage. Very little emphasis on design. Too many projects designed around a certain tool or a tool's limitations. Too many articles on techniques for working around issues that the right tool for the job would eliminate. Tool articles geared towards the entry-level market. Several of the bigger named freelance writers seemed a bit pompous to me. Yada, yada, yada.

About a year before letting them all lapse, I had started ripping out the articles that seemed interesting enough to keep and file away for that "someday, I would like to make that" project. After I realized that after the 4-mags I was getting every couple months, I was only keeping a one or two articles, I decided it was time to not renew.

Today, I have one paid subscription - Fine Homebuilding, and that was a courtesy subscription for a kid's fundraiser. I get 2 or 3 other mags a month now though, all "free to the trade" types, and I barely have time for them.

Carole Valentine
10-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Nope not kidding - its a real company - with real "women's tools." How long they last is anyone's guess. When I see a "for women only 52 inch table saw" I'll begin to take them seriously.
Are they the ones I saw in some flyer in the mail that looked like Barbie Doll tools and came in a pink plastic case? Oooooooohhhhhh...I want, I want! :rolleyes:

That magazine you spoke of is a joke. I leafed thru a copy somewhere and just shook my head. It was nothing but artsy-crafty type stuff. In fact it sort of perpetuates the myth that women can't do REAL woodworking.

Chris Padilla
10-05-2004, 6:24 PM
American Woodworker is my first mag...still have it. Wood came along as my second one. Finally, FWW is my third.

With the garage gut consuming mass time, I haven't read the last couple mags I've gotten but I'm not too experienced to say that I simply enjoy reading everything and I always pick up something from every article, big or small. It is also nice to toss furniture ideas at the LOML for her spin on things.

thomas prevost
10-05-2004, 6:54 PM
I, as all the rest, went the same route of many to none. It would be helpful if the tool reviews were honest. I have never read where a tool was a piece of junk or ABC co. really blew it. They put the whichmacallit where you have to take the fender off to get at it. It may be some minor thing such as switch location but never mentions a major defect. Or company Y sent out a bunch of dodads that are defective.and or dangerous. Even most of the construction articles are on a featured "tool" without saying it. Kinda like Norm hawking the newest and greatest tool from his sponsor. I came to the conclusion of why should I pay for advertizing, either direct or hidden in the article.

Dominic Greco
10-05-2004, 7:44 PM
Mission Mission Mission Mission Mission Mission Arts & Crafts Mission Mission Shaker Mission Mission Glue Test Mission Mission Bogus Retest of Glue Tool Buyer Guide Mission Mission Mission Mission Mission Mission Arts & Crafts Mission Mission Shaker Mission Mission Glue Test Mission Mission Bogus Retest of Glue Tool Buyer Guide

Nah I'm not sick of them.

Rich,
Praise Be! There's another person who is SICK to death of all the mission and shaker furniture being shown in the magazines! I can't stand another night table or dresser. If it weren't for the fact that I have a 3 year subscription to WOOD Magazine, I'd cancel it! And don't even get me started on WOODSmith.

What ever happened to Chippendale, Victorian, or Federal style furniture? You'd think these magazines forgot all about them. You're telling me that making 250 mortises is easier than carving a sunburst on a drawer front? PAH-LEEESE!

And if I see ONE MORE router table article, I'm gonna' SCREAM!

Jim Becker
10-05-2004, 8:22 PM
Hmm...perhaps one needs to adjust their magazine subscriptions as their tastes/abilities/interests change. WOOD, PW, AWW, ShopNotes, etc., all tend to spend more time on basic projects given that much of their audience is "mass market" and they sell a lot of magazines on the newstand as well as through subscriptions. Night stands, dressers, beds and the like sell magazines...as do router tables.

FW, Woodwork, etc., often offer more challenging projects including those that demand things like carving sunbursts. (Reference Lonnie Byrds recent multi-part article on the Newport Secretary with three or four of those carvings) I always look forward to their issues as I always learn something more challenging. While that also happens with WOOD, it's less often these days, but only because of the nature of the beast and how long I've been a subscriber.