PDA

View Full Version : Another FMT Q: Angled through mortises?

Dan Bowman
11-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Can the FMT make angled mortises through 3/4 stock? If so, are there limits of the offset from the end of the board?

Philip Rodriquez
11-27-2009, 1:08 PM
Dan, I suggest you download the manual (from Leigh). The FMT can easily do angled and compound angled M&T's. Their fabulous manual will show you how to do everything.

Dan Bowman
11-27-2009, 5:49 PM
thanks Phillip. What I would like to do is cut the mortise in the face of a board, not the sides or end. I've seen how to clamp boards to line up the end or edge with the templates, but not how to clamp a board to route through the face at an angle. I need a 3/4" by 3" mortise cut at an 8 degree angle through the face of a 3/4 by 5 by 24 board, centered 5" from one end. I can get close with chisels, but my skill level isn't on par with my expectations of quality.

Philip Rodriquez
11-28-2009, 2:05 PM
The FMT is not the best tool for your application. Your best bet is to cut a block at the desired angle, clamp it to the face, and complete the cut with a chisel (using the angle on the block as a guide). It should only take a few minutes to complete.