PDA

View Full Version : Yes, another lathe cabinet

Ron Bontz
11-27-2009, 1:21 AM
Well I hope some of you don't mind, but I borrowed a couple of ideas for this cabinet. It's just ash and oak ply I had. I am not real happy with it, but I'll have to live with it for now. Oh, I don't have all the hardware on yet. Hardware stores were closed today. :)

Harlan Coverdale
11-27-2009, 2:08 AM
Dunno why you're not happy with that cabinet. It looks it'll work real fine to me. Good job.

Brian Brown
11-27-2009, 3:18 AM
Great looking cabinet. Very functional. I also really like the new "invisible blade" turning tools you are using. How often do they need to be sharpened? :D

alex carey
11-27-2009, 3:20 AM
can't figure why your not happy, it looks pretty good???

Jeff Nicol
11-27-2009, 9:02 AM
The tools look happy in thier new home! The thing I am most concerned about is that your shop is way to clean!! Great cabinet and keep on going for the brass ring, we never really get there but feeling that you can do better keeps us all going forward!

Great job,

Jeff

Clancy Courtney
11-27-2009, 9:38 AM
I would be proud of that project.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2009, 9:57 AM
I agree that I would be proud to display that cabinet. Looks great and functional. I do have to agree with Jeff that the shop is way toooooooo clean.:D:rolleyes:

Joe Mioux
11-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Looks real nice, Ron.

I might have to borrow that idea as well.

joe

Rick Hutcheson
11-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Isn't that lathe in the dining room, the cabinet matches the kitchen cabinets, that is why it is so clean, the wife did it. Great job.

Kevin Hampshire
11-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Trying to figure out what it is you don't like. I'm searchng for ideas for my own cabinet so I'm very curious about what you'd want to change on yours.

Kevin H

Steve Frederick
11-27-2009, 10:52 AM
If you really aren't happy with it, send it to me!:eek:
I would be proud to have it. It looks really pretty and functional.;)

George Morris
11-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Well you could send it to me also! I will try to fix any flaws I find in a few years! Just kidding but you need more tools for the empty handles! Yes you shop is way too clean! Very nice cabinet! G

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Nice work Ron! Well thought out! Curious as to what it is that you do not like about it - cause I must be missing something as it looks great to me!

Ron Bontz
11-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Well lets see. I should have changed the design slightly adding a 3rd layer making the closed cabinet a total of 12" deep. Peg board only for hanging things.This still would have only allowed access to two sides at a time though. The back layer sides should have been about an inch deeper to hide the cleats on the back and compensate for the 1/4" backing. I added 3/4" strips to hide them. Hence the dovetails don't look quite right. The other thing is the location I had to hang it. The swinging doors could get in the way and reaching over a spinning object to get a tool is never a good idea. I'll most likely be moving a pipe to put the cabinet on the other side of the lathe head. The lower cabinet, not finished yet, will house the chuck jaws, face plates, etc. Oh, and those invisible blades don't rust, are very light, and never need sharpening.:D

Keith Harrell
11-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Looks like a nice cabinet to me. Like the sloped bottom to prevent chips.

gary Zimmel
11-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Looks like a pretty nice cabinet to me Ron.
I may have to borrow a few ideas when I build mine.

Jim Kountz
11-27-2009, 1:33 PM
Looks neat and organized, whats not to like!! Good job!!

phil harold
11-27-2009, 8:02 PM
I have always wanted a lazer bowl gouge

I see you got the cordless ones

are they lithium or fusion powered?

oh yea
nice cabinet!

Jarrod McGehee
11-28-2009, 12:41 AM
That looks good man! I'd be happy with it. I like the carcass joinery too!

Richard Madison
11-28-2009, 1:02 AM
Ron, That's a nice looking cabinet that anyone could be proud of. It just has one major defect that far overshadows all the nitpicky little stuff you mentioned. Location! Hang it on the left end of the lathe so you can reach your tools from where you are (or should be) standing.

Dan Forman
11-28-2009, 4:57 AM
That's a nice cabinet for sure. Good that you have a few extra spaces , as they will eventually find occupants.

I disagree with Richard about the location. It's not a very safe practice to lean over the lathe to reach for another tool, so it's good that you won't be faced with that temptation.

Dan

Richard Madison
11-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Dan, I did not suggest putting the tools behind the lathe, and would never suggest reaching over the lathe to get a tool. If the tools are at the left end of the lathe, one merely reaches to the left, in a direction parallel to the spindle.

Ron Bontz
11-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi Rich. The left end is exactly where I plan to put the cabinet. I can't though until I move the main drop from my dust collection. All my tools, etc. were either piled on top of my spindle sander, beside the lathe, or across the room in a drawer. For now I just get out the tools I need and close the doors. I'll just be glad when the base unit is finished.:)

Richard Madison
11-28-2009, 8:36 PM
Good thinking Ron. Mine certainly isn't pretty like yours, but very functional. Have 15 tools and the shop vac hose within arm's reach.