PDA

View Full Version : Explorer 7 vs 8

Brian Penning
11-26-2009, 8:47 PM
Some folks who've visited my web site in Explorer 8 say they can't see the pages properly. But with Explorer 7 or Firefox there's no problem.
Anyone know causes? Corrective measures?
TIA

Bill Cunningham
11-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I used Mozilla SeaMonkey to build my site, and have no problems with Microsoft thingies .. I think Microsoft thinks that because they have more browsers out there, they don't have to be 100% compatible with anyone else.... Or, it's just 'more' bugs they'll have to patch someday :D

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Sean Troy
11-27-2009, 9:37 AM
Whats your site?

Dave Johnson29
11-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Some folks who've visited my web site in Explorer 8 say they can't see the pages properly. But with Explorer 7 or Firefox there's no problem.

Brian,

Start here to make sure your coding is all valid...

http://validator.w3.org/

paul cottingham
11-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Remember, IE is not a standards compliant browser, so you may be chasing it for a long time to get your page to render perfectly in IE8. You may be better of leaving it if it looks right in Firefox, which is compliant.

just my $.02, worth what you paid for it.

Paul

Jim Becker
11-27-2009, 12:12 PM
IE8 does render somethings differently...but it also has a comparability mode which I just leave it in given I rarely use IE. I do second the suggestion to do the code check that Dave mentions...it's a good "best practice" to do so.

Dick Strauss
12-01-2009, 9:07 PM
Brian,
I don't know if our issues are related based on your brief definition but here's what I've experienced. I've had some issues with java script based floating navigation buttons on a site I maintain. They look fine with text centered properly using IE7. However, IE8 shifts the button text to the right side, sometimes causing it to cut off parts of the text. I've tried making the buttons wider, shifting columns, shifting column spacing, etc, all to no avail. Compatibility mode helps but some folks don't know how to use this function in IE8.

FYI-The site was created using FrontPage2001 so that may be an issue as well.

Jim Becker
12-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Dick, FP is pretty "non-compliant" when it comes to web standards, FYI. With IE8 pushing more toward the advancing standards, the older, Microsoft specific ways of doing things may not work as well as they did in earlier versions of the IE browser.

Chuck Wintle
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Brian,
I don't know if our issues are related based on your brief definition but here's what I've experienced. I've had some issues with java script based floating navigation buttons on a site I maintain. They look fine with text centered properly using IE7. However, IE8 shifts the button text to the right side, sometimes causing it to cut off parts of the text. I've tried making the buttons wider, shifting columns, shifting column spacing, etc, all to no avail. Compatibility mode helps but some folks don't know how to use this function in IE8.

FYI-The site was created using FrontPage2001 so that may be an issue as well.
I am using Notepad++ which works well as an html editor. Also a trial version of dreamweaver can be downloaded. Frontpage is no longer used i think.

paul cottingham
12-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Notepad is completely standards compliant!

Chuck Wintle
12-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Notepad is completely standards compliant!

I really meant Notepad++(it's a free program) which is a completely different thing from the standard Notepad.

paul cottingham
12-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I know, I just can't help myself.