PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail Alert & Apology

Ken Salisbury
03-27-2003, 10:09 AM
It appears that somehow --- (please don't ask how --- because I have no idea.) a batch of e-mail messages were sent by my e-mail program to I don't know how many people in my address book maybe the whole book for all I know. I discovered it by getting several messages back saying mail was not able to be delivered. I don't think a virus was involved because I have Norton Antivirus software and I ran a complete computer virus scan after discovering this mail thing ---- no viruses were detected in my computer.. I had ininvertantly left my DSL connection on all night and I suspect some type of hacker activity. My suggestion would be not to open any e-mail from me that you have recieved today.

Sorry if this causes anyone problems

Mark Mazzo
03-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear about the e-mail mishap.

Your note about leaving your DSL connection on all night caught my attention. I have DSL and always leave my connection live...that's the purpose of a broadband "always-on" connection in my opinion ;). I do use a (software-based) firewall though, to prevent malicious activity. You may already know this, and if so, I appologize, but if you have an internet connection via DSL or Cable you should be running a firewall. I use Zone Alarm (http://www.zonelabs.com). It's available for free download and is highly rated.

If you don't already run a firewall, then you should consider downloading and installing it. If you already do, then just ignore this friendly reminder :p.

--Mark

Tom Sweeney
03-27-2003, 11:31 AM
by picking up good looking babes at bars :D
Oh we're talking computer virus;)
There is a very good possibility that your puter didn't do anything.

What probably happened is that someone that has your email address in their address book has the Klez virus (actually a worm). The klez will then email to everyone in their address book & send emails to them. The virus spoofs email addresses in the from field, using addresses in the infected puters book, & grabs bits of text from files on their computer & adds it to the subject line.

If your Norton AV has updated definitions - you should do this weekly - & you have it auto scanning emails you should be safe from Klez. Though if someone else has it, with your info in their address book, it's still a pain for you.

Also if you don't already have it - you need a firewall with any broadband connection. Zone alarm is a free software based one that I use.

Hope this helps

Ken Salisbury
03-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the responses and the e-mails as to how to prevent in the future. I was under the impression that the imbedded firewall in Windows XP was protection enough. I have my computer programmed to automatically install all new Window XP security updates by Microsoft on a regular basis. I also have and keep updated Norton Anti Virus software.

Live and learn ! ! ! ! ! !

Bob Lasley
03-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Ken,

I got one of your e-mails. It looked suspicious to me right off the bat, so I deleted it. No problem.

Tom and Mark,

Thanks for the info on Zone Alarm. I just downloaded and installed it.

Bob

Jim Becker
03-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Ken, be aware that the email may not have originated on your PC. The more recent viruses not only pick recipients from an Outlook or Outlook Express address book, but they also pick the "From" address randomly to mask where the messages are coming from. If you are using your virus protection religiously and not opening attachments that you are not expecting, it is quite likely that "you" are not the problem. (I also received some bounces in the last day or three and the original message was definately not from my machine(s)!)

Dave Anderson
03-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Ken,
I got one of your phantom emails. Since I do 99% of my WW Forum surfing from work and use my corporate email address for all things web, I have the luxury of a corporate email "sniffer" at work for me. It scanned, cleaned and deleted the text attachments before I was allowed to read the message. Corporations are very sensative to viral invasions on their servers.

For those of you who operate from home, a good anti-virus S/W like Norton or a firewall are your best insurance against a virus or worm invasion.

If any of you get an unexpected email from someone you know or from someone you don't recognize - best to delete the message without opening! DAMHIKT :eek:

Tom Sweeney
03-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Things have been kinda crazy at work - now that I had time to reread my post I realize it's about as clear as mud.

For more info on Klez
<a href="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html" target="_blank">CLICK HERE</A>

a lot of the new generation viruses (VIRII(?)) use this email spoofing so it is harder to track where they are coming from.

I wish these hacker's would get a job or something.

Perry Schmidt
03-27-2003, 12:49 PM
Do you have a Hardware Firewall (e.g. Linksys BEFSR41, Netgear DG814). They are ususally advertised as Internet routers or gateways, but most (all??) have some builtin firewall protection.

Our work IT department says they are 'manditory' if you have a cable or DSL connection. And much better than SW firewalls. Some of the IT persons recommend both, but all say the HW firewalls are much better if you're going to run just one.

If you aren't trying to run a server/website my experience is they they work very well. I can't say how well they work if you are trying to run a server/website. Some people tell me they work very well, others say you need better (i.e. more expensive) ones. I really don't know.

But for the 'average user' the HW firewalls work pretty darn well. I've had one for over 2 years now, leave my connection on 24 hours and never been hacked. Maybe I'm just lucky - but I doubt I'm that lucky. Some of our network engineers collect firewall stats on their home computers and they routinely get pinged by hackers trying to find a computer they can mess with. I've also run a number of the 'check your security' websites that try to access your computer and they can't seem to get through either.

Now having said that, no firewall is impervious to a good hacker. But my experience (and my IT friends suggestion) is they are a must.

Perry

Perry Schmidt
03-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Oops - I should mention that a good firewall still doesn't prevent the use of a good anti-virus program. The combination of the two (i.e. HW Firewall and antivirus) works very well. Just one isn't good enough.

Bob Michaelson
03-27-2003, 1:53 PM
Ken,

Actually the XP firewall is very good.
You can test your "visibility" at Gibson Research.
www.grc.com They have a free test called Shields Up,
which will probe your firewall and report the results.

Regards, Bob

Jim Becker
03-27-2003, 2:04 PM
Even if you are using a hardware firewall and good virus protection, a software firewall can guard against some other things that might get by the others...such as "phone home" type creatures. I've been using ZoneAlarm Pro for a very long time for that reason. That's in addition to a LinkSys appliance and my virus protection. And then there is PestPatrol to catch privacy invasions...

It's a never-ending battle!

Ted Shrader
03-27-2003, 8:43 PM
Originally posted by Perry Schmidt
Do you have a Hardware Firewall (e.g. Linksys BEFSR41, Netgear DG814). They are ususally advertised as Internet routers or gateways, but most (all??) have some builtin firewall protection. . . . But for the 'average user' the HW firewalls work pretty darn well. . . . I've also run a number of the 'check your security' websites that try to access your computer and they can't seem to get through either.

Perry

Ken -

I also have router downstream from the modem. It is also used as a router for the the computers hooked to the 'net. Have had no problems.

Ted

PeterTorresani
03-28-2003, 1:10 PM
My last company was one of the few (<5 worldlwide:) ) that used Lotus products. e.g Notes, 123, Wordpro. Although you had to deal with the compaibility issue, it sure saved a lot of hassle with viruses.

Of course, now that I am dealing with Microsoft products, I am convinced that Bill Gates was using illegal business practices. There is no way he could get widespread usage of such inferior products on the up and up.;)

Jim Becker
03-28-2003, 2:01 PM
Pete, Notes is still huge out there in many large companies. My employer had to develop versions of certain convergence applications to accomodate that large market!