PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Cone Lens Issue

Michael Westmore
11-26-2009, 4:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

Have a question. I've got an Epilog 36 EXT with a 60 watt laser. I just got the 4" cone lens and went to cut some small parts. Guess what - nothing happened. Just some very light schortching here and there. I thought maybe they assembeled the lens wrong and flipped it over and tried it again. This time I got nothing. So I can rule that out. I put my 2" lens on everything is fine. Did they put the wrong lens in the assembly? Is there any thing else I can do to check or test? Is there something I'm missing?
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Justin Harrington
11-26-2009, 5:52 PM
Busy using mine right now, switch on your red dot pointer and make sure that it is exiting the nozzle, you may find that your alignment is slightly out and the beam is only partially passing through. Also check your focus is exactly 4 inches from the centre plane of the lens to the work surface.

I use mine alot for cutting 40mm thick sponge for pelican cases and today had a job to cut 15mm thick polystyrene, it cut like butter with almost zero melt and zero scorching on the edges.

Hope this helps

James Stokes
11-27-2009, 9:49 AM
It sounds like to me your alignment is a little off. You can realign your laser or take the cone tip and grind it down to make the opening larger.

Dan Hintz
11-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Try cutting without the lens. If you're able to do so, it's the cone causing the issue. If not, try changing the focus distance in 1/4" increments... they may have inadvertently put a 2" of 2.5" lens in a 4" holder.

Michael Westmore
11-28-2009, 7:51 PM
Thanks Guys for your help.
I got adventurous this afternoon and decided to disect the lens.
Dan, you were right. At four inches the pointer was about 3/16" in diameter. I brought the table up and stoped at the point when the beam seemed it's tightest. It was a fraction under 2". Some one at the factory goofed and put the wrong lens in. This is going to be a fun phone call on Monday.
Once again, thanks everyone for your help.