PDA

View Full Version : Panel Raising

Jerry Thompson
11-26-2009, 4:21 PM
I am considering raising panel with a plane. It seems to me one would need two panel planes as one would be going against the grain on one side of the panel.

Larry Williams
11-26-2009, 4:59 PM
It wasn't done with two planes traditionally. As far as I know, not a single old pair of matched panel raising planes by a known maker has ever surfaced.

Larry Marshall
11-26-2009, 5:41 PM
I am considering raising panel with a plane. It seems to me one would need two panel planes as one would be going against the grain on one side of the panel.

How do you see these two planes being different from one another? You need a sharp plane to cut cross-grain. You need a sharp plane to cut with the grain. I've cut raised panels with a plane and the only thing I know that helps is to cut the cross-grain portions first. In this way, any tear-out you get going cross-grain is cleaned up when you go long grain.

You can do these with a specialized panel-raising plane or with conventional planes, sometimes using guides, sometimes not depending on how you want the raised panel to look.

Cheers --- Larry

Robert Rozaieski
11-26-2009, 7:57 PM
A skewed iron plane is what you want. It will handle cross grain as well as against the grain.

Here's one I did with nothing more than a moving fillester and a skew rabbet plane. Scroll down to Part 20 for the raised panel.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=80840&page=4&highlight=Build

Barry Vabeach
11-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Jerry, I agree in theory, but in practice, I have made quite a few doors with just one panel raising plane. Obviously, the cross grain ends aren't a problem. That leaves 1 side with the grain and 1 side against the grain, assuming the grain runs exactly parallel to the panel. Having a skewed iron helps a bit, and if you get a little tearout, you can use a scraper or sandpaper in isolated areas. I actually built both a left hand and a right hand raiser ( though it was a mistake - I wanted 1 - but I ended it up laying out the cut backwards so I ended up with the mirror image of what I wanted, so I made the other one) but I generally only use one plane to raise the panel.

Sean Hughto
11-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Makes sense for several reasons in my expereince.

1. Many woods are rather forgiving of against the grain planing forgiving.

2. On wide chatherdral grain planks, it is not uncommon to have the grain run opposite directions on opposite sides of the cathedral.

3. On a glue up, one can take care to make the edge grains on opposite sides run appropriately.

Mark Stutz
11-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Not having a panel raising plane, I used a bench rabbet plane. Then you are always going with the grain, so less clean up with the scraper. This is for a feilded panel . If you do not want the raised field, then any bench plane will do. This panel was done using a skewed rabbeting plane for the ends, and a bench rabbetting plane to do the long grain