PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving bowl!!

Kevin J Lalonde
11-26-2009, 3:47 PM
Just finished this one today while the wife was cooking. Got my Thompson 1/2 V in this week and put it to good use. This is the Third bowl I have ever done so I'm happy with it. It was a Heart Pine beam in a factory in Pittsburg that was going to be made into flooring when I picked it up. A friend of mine makes flooring out of these old beams and gave me the piece. Anyways, it's about 9"diameter and 6" tall with walnut oil. Thanks for looking. And please tell me about my form, I'm trying to get better. All C&C welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2009, 3:57 PM
Real good looking bowl! Beautiful grain!

Nothing wrong with the form - just continue to work on getting smooth/flowing curves and have fun!

Dan Forman
11-26-2009, 4:18 PM
Very nice bowl, love the tight grain of that wood, and the way the knot is centered in the bottom of the bowl.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2009, 6:58 PM
Great looking bowl with some nice grain.

David E Keller
11-26-2009, 7:33 PM
Great looking bowl. I'm no expert, but it seems that you've got a little bobble near the rim... not sure if that is intentional or not. That's beautiful wood. Much better than I can turn at this point, and I'm well past my third bowl.

Richard Madison
11-26-2009, 8:18 PM
Wow, looks like old growth pine. Look at those closely spaced growth rings. Very pretty wood.

Not quite a classic bowl shape, but much better than the straight sided "V" that many of us did on our second or third bowl. As mentioned, maybe a little hitch in your gittalong near the top, but mostly a nice, smooth curvature with no flat spots. Keep on with the smooth curvature, and apply it to some different shapes. Nice work Kevin.

Bill Bolen
11-26-2009, 9:10 PM
That heart pine sure made a pretty bowl for you...Nice...Bill..