PDA

View Full Version : Fun Saturday; started a new health kick

Ned Bulken
10-03-2004, 2:36 PM
I joined the local YMCA this week, the LOML and the kids had been given cards by her Ex, and so I decided to join up as well.
I took the LOML and our youngest over to the Y to go swimming. They have a terrific set of pools, from a lap pool, to a hot tub, to a family fun pool, which is about 2' deep at the most, and has a little slide, fountaings and a bubbling floor. Some highlights; my 5 yr old son laughing as the bubbles fill his bathing suit up, watching him overcome his fear of the slide and having fun going down it. (shaped like a giant turtle btw). Perhaps the most fun was that they have a water park style big slide on one end of the room. 20' up in the air, with a corkscrew turn at the end. I mad the climb up the spiral stairs, joked with the lifeguard; are big kids allowed on this? she laughed and said sure, have fun. The LOML told Patrick that I was coming down the slide. I'm a big guy, and evidently I made quite a splash on reentry in the pool at the bottom of the slide (which doubles as a hydrotherapy pool). He was waiting for me, and proudly announced to the lifeguard at the bottom of the pool "THat's my Daddy!" and promptly told me to go on it again. more peals of laughter ensued when I made another big splash.

I also got in some laps, I need to go on a regular basis and increase my wind. They also have water aerobics, which I'm going to look into. It is time for a change, and this looks to be a fun way to get in shape, i'm tired of the joke, 'I'm in SHape; Round is a shape'.

The Y also has a terrific weight center, which I'll be using too, plus the offer various aerobics, stationary cycles, and even Tai Chi. Luckily that fits my schedule, and I'll be signing up for that this week.

Mark Stutz
10-04-2004, 9:28 PM
Congratulations Ned! While I have a ways to go, and I still go in spurts, I lost 50 lbs, thanks to the YMCA. You'll feel better, sleep better, and have more energy for the real hobbies! :D