PDA

View Full Version : A bowl of acorn bird houses

Steve Mawson
11-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Bob Hamilton's video got me inspired to turn some of these little houses. Fun and don't take too long. Most will go as Christmas presents as three have already to niece's and nephew. Walnut base with maple, ash and one quartersawn oak top. Wish I had done more quartersawn tops as I like it. I cheated on the hole using both a 1" and 3/4" forstner bit drilled on the lathe.
So I have two sizes of birdhouse.

Comments welcome and Happy Thanksgiving.

Jim Kountz
11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Nice job Steve, those are really cute!! Im sure everyone will love these!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Great looking birdhouses Steve. Well done.

Mike Golka
11-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Looks like your having plenty of fun. They look good too.

Harvey M. Taylor
11-26-2009, 12:52 PM
da boid was poiched on da coib, da boid was choipin and a choipin and eatin' doity woims. Nice bunch of birdhouses. Max

Jeff Nicol
11-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Nice job Steve, those are really cute!! Im sure everyone will love these!!
I love the little buggers!! I have been making the fancy ones and have had it on my mind to do some of the little acorn ones.

Jim, I have been wearing out your CD in my truck!! I just about have all the songs memorized, and I know it's you on the mandolin so I feel a connection! It is very cool that I sort of know a celebrity to be!!

Take care all and don't eat to much today!

Go packers!!

Jeff

MichaelA Cooper
11-26-2009, 12:55 PM
That's amazing Steve!!!!
You're going to please a lot of people with those little treasures!!!

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2009, 1:27 PM
Very nice ornaments Steve! They will make great little presents! I like the bowl they are sitting in also!

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Bill Bolen
11-26-2009, 9:25 PM
I love 'em Steve. Really cool...Bill..

Kenneth Whiting
11-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Those are some nice bird houses Steve. Good job.

I'm new and all but I don't count using a drill as cheating, thats how pepper mills are done.

Richard Madison
11-27-2009, 7:09 PM
Definitely cuties Steve, and those will sell. What are the dimensions and especially diameter of the perch? I just hate tuning an 8" log down to make .080" diameter perches.

Steve Mawson
11-27-2009, 8:57 PM
Definitely cuties Steve, and those will sell. What are the dimensions and especially diameter of the perch? I just hate tuning an 8" log down to make .080" diameter perches.

Perches are all 1/8" dowel rod. The walnut base started 1 1/2 sq. The larger ones are about 2" tall including the top and about 1 3/8" diameter. Smaller ones are about 1 1/4-1 1/2" tall and about 1 1/8 diameter.

Richard Madison
11-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Steve, Thanks a lot. Tried a few about that size but yours look much better. The proportion of the 1/8" dowel perch looks good, and sure would save a lot of work turning itty bitty perches.

Bill Bulloch
11-28-2009, 9:48 AM
Steve, about a month ago, I too become galvanized by Bob's Acorn Birdhouse Video and made a pot full of those little buggers. Right after that, the local Art Center, where I sell some of my bowl and platters that my wife has enhanced with her paintings in their Gift Shop, ask if I had any Christmas Ornaments. Well, all I had was these Bird Houses. I made a Display Stand that would hold 16 Bird Houses and took them down. A week later they had SOLD OUT, and I was ask to bring more. I took my last 16 down, so I need to turn more just in case.