PDA

View Full Version : IE8 question

David Freed
11-26-2009, 9:04 AM
I don't know the proper terms to use here so I hope I can explain this.

On my old computer there was a line at the top that had "File Edit Favorites Tools Help" that stayed there all the time. I have IE8 on my new computer and the only way I can get that is to push the Alt button, and as soon as I do anything else, it disappears. Is there a way to make it stay up there?

Jim Becker
11-26-2009, 10:56 AM
The menu bar is turned off by default since IE7. To turn it back on... Tools-->Toolbars-->Menu Bar. (I had to look this up because I use Firefox as my primary browser; IE is just there for unruly sites that require it)

Chuck Wintle
11-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't know the proper terms to use here so I hope I can explain this.

On my old computer there was a line at the top that had "File Edit Favorites Tools Help" that stayed there all the time. I have IE8 on my new computer and the only way I can get that is to push the Alt button, and as soon as I do anything else, it disappears. Is there a way to make it stay up there?

Make the switch to firefox...you will not regret it. A much better, friendlier piece of programming that follows the current web standards...IE8 does not.

Greg Peterson
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
I've been using Google's Chrome browser since it came out. Love it. Before that I used Firefox. Before that Netscape and Opera. And as Jim said, IE for whatever sites required IE.

phil harold
11-26-2009, 12:22 PM
on your existing bar where the printer and and home icon are
right click in an empty spot and click on menu bar from the pop up box

I prefer firefox as well...

Mike Henderson
11-26-2009, 12:28 PM
I've been using Chrome, also, but Firefox is also good. And like everyone else, I still have to keep IE8.

Just a comment, Chrome has a problem with Acrobat 9 right now. If you have Acrobat 9 and try to open a pdf, Chrome won't do it. I hope they release fix for it soon.

Acrobat 9 works fine with IE and Firefox.

Mike

[Just in case anyone asks, I have Chrome version 3.0.195.33]

David Freed
11-26-2009, 1:43 PM
Thanks for the help. I figured it was real easy, but I can be good at missing things sometimes. I know that several of you have recommended something besides IE before now. I used to use netscape, but ended up liking IE better. I gave firefox a try for a couple of sessions a year or two ago, but never made the switch. I didn't really dislike it, but I just didn't want to take the time to learn a new system. I guess I should try it again. Thanks again for the help