PDA

View Full Version : gift need engraving....too large???

Toni Stennett
11-26-2009, 1:07 AM
my husband is making a gift for his nephew and its a door to a gun cabinet. for those of you that own engravers.....what is too big? This door is 40"long and 14"wide. he wants an 8"X8" picture centered on the door about 6-8" from the top. is something like that possible?

Mike Null
11-26-2009, 8:39 AM
Toni

Most machines will not handle wood of that size unless they have a pass through feature or unless they have a front door which can be opened and by-passed.

Opening and by-passing the front door is more common and you should be able to find somebody to do the job as you describe.

There are larger lasers out there which can easily do the job but not a lot of them.

Jack Harper
11-26-2009, 10:20 AM
You might contact Vytek or Kern and inquire as to a customer in you area that might have a large format laser engraver. While our 6' x 10' x 24" laser can handle it, were not exactly in the neighborhood.

Dave Johnson29
11-26-2009, 10:25 AM
This door is 40"long and 14"wide. he wants an 8"X8" picture centered on the door about 6-8" from the top. is something like that possible?

Hi Toni,

My engraver will handle that easily. I built in a drop down front for just such a use. One of the joys of building my own laser. :)

Email if you like.

James Stokes
11-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I am like Jack, I could do the job easily but I too am quite a distance from you.
Are you wanting the design on glass or wood?

Tom Bull
11-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Many engraving machines max out at 12 x 24. Perhaps you could do it in panels.

Bruce Petron
11-26-2009, 7:34 PM
Hi Toni

Maybe someone on the creek in your area has an Accuris engraver, my 30 watt opens front and back with a 20" opening.

happythanksgiving

Bruce

Larry Bratton
11-26-2009, 9:42 PM
I sometimes remove the front panel on my EXT36 to do something like this. So, you need to look for someone with an Epilog EXT36 which has a 24" x 36" bed. Take out the screws on the front panel, remove it and have them put in your piece and engrave.

Bill Cunningham
11-26-2009, 9:46 PM
Is the 'picture' an actual photograph, or just a graphic of a deer or moose or something like that.. If wood is dark, a good 'photographic' rendition may not be possible.. Is the door made from panels inserted into a frame? If so, engraving the panel before putting it in the frame would be your best bet..

Toni Stennett
11-26-2009, 10:31 PM
the door is wood, the graphic is not an actual photograph. just some picture of a buck, like head and antlers. it would be on red oak, raised panel portion without the frame. anyone near dallas or houston?

Richard Rumancik
11-27-2009, 11:45 AM
The LaserPro Mercury series has a drop down front AND removable back (if rear clearance is needed), perfect for this sort of thing. To answer the question, it may not be a common feature but if you find someone in your area with a Mercury they could handle it without any problem. Maybe you can contact the GCC dealer in your territory and ask which shops in your area have one.