PDA

View Full Version : Bought a used DW744.

keith micinski
11-26-2009, 12:32 AM
I found a used DW744 on Craigslist for 220 bucks, (I can't believe someone actually paid 500 bucks for this thing new though.) I am starting my own house remodeling company and I needed something portable. The guy said he had only used the saw a few times and it was only a year old. He turned out to be embellishing a little bit but all in all the saw is in really good shape except for one thing. The top is aluminum and is painted I guess. Some of the paint is flaking off and some areas have a bubble of paint getting ready to flake off. Should I leave the table alone and not worry about the paint because it is just a portable job site saw anyway or should I try and fix the top and if so how? Strip it all down and repaint it or for that matter leave the aluminum bare and just wax it? Also Does anyone have a pdf of the manual for that saw somewhere or know where I can get one?

Rich Switzer
11-26-2009, 1:25 AM
Does anyone have a pdf of the manual for that saw somewhere or know where I can get one?

Will this do?
http://toolnet.dewalt.com/Toolnet/OMrepos/00DEF0024A2A054100800003C666051F.pdf

Phil Thien
11-26-2009, 1:47 AM
So those are painted aluminum?

They must do that because it is cheaper than anodizing. I can't believe it is much less expensive, but...

I'd let the paint work itself off.

Eventually enough bare aluminum will be exposed that you may get black staining on your wood from the aluminum oxide (rust) that forms on the table. The black will sand right off the wood. And you can keep the table waxed to prevent this transfer.

keith micinski
11-26-2009, 3:39 PM
Thanks Rich that should work for me. I think I will let the paint go for now but I still may end up sanding it off and just waxing the Aluminum.

keith micinski
11-27-2009, 11:31 AM
All of the adjustment screws for the throat plate for this saw are missing. Actually it looks like the original owner never installed them and didn't realize he needed to use them. Does anyone know what size screws I should use for this? It looks like some sort of self tapping screws are used because they are no threads in the casting of the throat plate.

Don Whitten
01-17-2010, 3:56 AM
I paid $124.50 at Lowe's on clearance a while back, the top isn't painted it is a coating like teflon for a slick finish and yes mine is wearing off also although its not bubbling.

Guy Belleman
01-17-2010, 6:41 AM
in the hardware area, just find the size that just fits tight and you should have no problem letting the screw make its own threads.

keith micinski
01-17-2010, 11:04 AM
I had forgotten about this. Does anyone that owns this saw know the actual size of the screws for the throat plate so I don't have to just trial and error what screws to get.