PDA

View Full Version : A few pen picks

Michael Stafford
10-03-2004, 9:57 AM
I love to turn pens when I'm between other projects and I wanted to share a few that I turned recently.

Cigar style pens pictured made from Ebony, Bethlehem Olivewood, and Bocote.

Parker style pens pictured made from Desert Ironwood, Kingwood and Big Leaf Maple.

Euro style pens pictured made from Tiger Striped Padauk, Wenge, and Zebrawood.

Gentleman's pens pictured made from Cochen Rosewood, Kingwood, and Lacewood.

:D

Betsy Yocum
10-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Very nice pens Big Mike. :)

Have to ask about your signture picture. Are you a puppeteer (?spelling)?

Dick Parr
10-03-2004, 10:18 AM
There looking good Mike.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Nice stuff Michael! I don't know which is my favorite........they are ALL so nice. Most of the Exotics turn and finish so nice, it is hard to pick a favorite........at least it is for me! Real beauties, thanks for sharing! :)

Jack Hogoboom
10-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Beautiful stuff Mike. Thanks for sharing. They are an inspiration to the rest of us.

Jack

Michael Stafford
10-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the positive feedback. Just love seeing a pretty piece of wood come to life during the finishing process and pens give me a chance to use lots of beautiful woods in a hurry. Great fun!!!

Betsy, not a puppeteer, just a comedian. Just trying to have a little fun...

Betsy Yocum
10-03-2004, 1:00 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the positive feedback. Just love seeing a pretty piece of wood come to life during the finishing process and pens give me a chance to use lots of beautiful woods in a hurry. Great fun!!!

Betsy, not a puppeteer, just a comedian. Just trying to have a little fun...
So then that picture is not a puppet - it's really you? - Wow - you need to get some sun!!!! :rolleyes: :D LOL

Jim Ketron
10-03-2004, 1:43 PM
Nice job!
Pens are fun to make and like you said you get almost instant satisfaction.
That Tigerstripe is Awesome!!
Jim

Michael Stafford
10-03-2004, 2:56 PM
Hey Betsy when you look like me you need a lot more than sun. I could keep a plastic surgeon busy for years. It's tough being me... I love it...

Jason Tuinstra
10-03-2004, 4:37 PM
Mike, they look great. While they all turned out wonderfully, I really like the tiger striped padauk pen. Nice job!

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-03-2004, 8:14 PM
Great pens Mike.

Question---------I've tried several pens with Big Leaf Maple, but they always blow up. Do you do anything special?

Thanks, Bruce

Michael Stafford
10-04-2004, 7:23 AM
I have found that sharp, sharp tools and light cuts are necessary as you approach your final diameter. Then use a sharp skew...

John M. Cioffi
10-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Beautiful pens, Mike.

I ever heard of Tiger striped Paduak;but it looks like a favorite.
Good work.
John