PDA

View Full Version : Plug Segment jigs

Mike Golka
11-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Here is a down and dirty pictoral of the jigs I made to create the plug segments in the feature ring of my "Amphorae" vase. The first pic is the jig for drilling holes in the corners of a square block with a centered hole dilled in it. Next is a block in the jig, leftover from the build so the hoels have already been plugged. The next 2 are the jig used to drill the segment. The last ones are of the setup for milling the plugs. There is a jamb chuck in the lathe chuck to hold the blocks.

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Mike - thanks for taking the time for the tutorial! Makes sense now that I see how you did it! Sure love the effect it causes in the detail ring! Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Richard Madison
11-26-2009, 1:15 AM
Thanks Mike. Must be late at night as am having trouble seeing how you adjust the "crossfeed" (?) to get the correct diameter. Am probably missing something obvious and will look at it again tomorrow.

Mike Golka
11-26-2009, 9:35 AM
Richard the "cross feed" realy isn't. The clamp in the picture serves as both a guide and limit. Doing test cuts and sneaking up on the size is done by moving the clamp. Far from perfect but as I was only testing an idea didn't want to get too elaborite.

Richard Madison
11-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks Mike. Looks like a plunge router so that would serve for the axial feed. Just have to get it parallel to the lathe spindle. Very cool.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for sharing Mike.