PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Boards

Dave Winters
11-25-2009, 9:43 PM
Hard Maple and Walnut.... questions and comments welcome, as always.http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc274/rabbitearscarver/4518-Round-Board-18-in.jpghttp://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc274/rabbitearscarver/4509-Rect.jpghttp://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc274/rabbitearscarver/4508-Rect.jpghttp://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc274/rabbitearscarver/4464-Round-Board-Chaos.jpghttp://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc274/rabbitearscarver/4507-Rect.jpg

Patrick Nailon
11-26-2009, 1:04 AM
Hard Maple and Walnut.... questions and comments welcome, as always.

My only question is - Who'd want to cut on such beautiful boards?

Wonderful job.

David Gendron
11-26-2009, 1:21 AM
Great looking board, maybe more serving tray so you don't have to scratch them!!

gary Zimmel
11-26-2009, 1:44 AM
Nice work on those cutting boards Dave.
They all look great but the first round walnut and maple is my fav...

John Keeton
11-26-2009, 7:12 AM
Love both, but like Gary, I am partial to the first one done on the "spinny" thing!

James G. McQueen
11-26-2009, 8:31 AM
Great job! Curious to see if you will give up your secrets. Always looking for unique ideas. Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing more.

Harlan Coverdale
11-26-2009, 8:37 AM
All of them are sweet. Great job all around.

John Thompson
11-26-2009, 9:34 AM
Excellent indeed even though I have doubt that any woman would lay a knife to those out of respect for their beauty... :)

Sean Kinn
11-26-2009, 10:50 AM
WOW...those look great! How do you do that?

Jim Becker
11-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Those are great!

Doug Swanson
11-26-2009, 12:48 PM
very nice....could you describe how you did that?

Ed Sallee
11-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Very nice, Dave! Nice work in your website gallery!

Good stuff!!!

Rob Woodman
11-26-2009, 1:48 PM
Really nice work, what a great idea for using up offcuts of nice timber too!
I often think about what "waste" wood could be used for and these are just the thing, beech cutting boards look mundane and ordinary, these add a wow factor.
Rob.

Zach England
11-26-2009, 1:59 PM
How on earth do you fit the curves together? Some sort of router jig?

The only other way I can think to do it involves a slow band saw and a lot of patience.

Salem Ganzhorn
11-26-2009, 5:43 PM
I will guess a template and a pattern bit with a router. But the narrow stuff looks tough. Probably done incrementally by gluing up one set of curves, letting it dry and then using a new pattern to make the thin sections. Great stuff!

sean m. titmas
11-26-2009, 5:57 PM
Nice work. i like the second row left board. they have a great "off cut" feel to them. just random enough for each one to be unique

Guy Germaine
11-27-2009, 6:44 AM
I'm guessing they're stack cut. Stack a piece of walnut and maple together with Double stick tape and cut the curves on both pieces at the same time. They would have no choice but to fit together.
(At least that's how I would do it)

Todd Hoppe
11-27-2009, 8:05 AM
These are about the coolest cutting boards I have seen. I'm bookmarking this page!

Dave Winters
11-27-2009, 8:12 PM
Thanks all for the nice words.
Two ways of doing these, and you guessed both. My first few were stack-cut on the bandsaw. Now I have complimentary jigs. I get them close on the bandsaw, and use the shaper with a pattern bearing and a straight cutterhead.

Kendall Stokke
11-29-2009, 10:52 PM
very nice job on the cutting boards.

i made some of these for presents last christmas.

i cut my pieces with my carvewright and added 1/8" fillers to match cutter width. i glued up cherry, maple, walnut and birdseye maple in random configs and then mixed and matched the pieces. glue up was a real challenge.

here is a picture of a couple of mine.

kendall

david kramer
11-30-2009, 2:04 AM
I have an idle question. A lot of those joints look like they're basically end-grain. Assuming someone was unappreciative enough to actually use these as cutting boards, how would they handle the long-term exposure to water? I assume that you use a reasonably weatherproof glue like Titebond III?

Sometimes I have ideas for cutting boards, but I run up against this question, so if anyone has experience with this I'd love to hear it.

Thx
David

sean m. titmas
11-30-2009, 1:53 PM
I have an idle question. A lot of those joints look like they're basically end-grain. Assuming someone was unappreciative enough to actually use these as cutting boards, how would they handle the long-term exposure to water? I assume that you use a reasonably weatherproof glue like Titebond III?

No matter what cut of wood and glue you use it is never a good idea to let wood products soak or be exposed long term to water. for a general bread board there is never a reason to use anything more than just a damp dish towel to clean it off after using it. if you cut raw meat on it i suggest using that particular side only for meat and when done cutting scrub it with a soapy sponge and quickly rinse it off.

im curious as to why most of the posters think that the boards should not be used. weather or not the OP intends these to be real cutting boards or if they are just for show i feel that a cutting board of that quality should be used. its a crime not to otherwise why make them? a board like that who does not see any action is like having a rifle but not firing any bullets from it, it is basically just a very expensive stick.

Dave Winters
11-30-2009, 5:27 PM
I do use Titebond 3. I make mine to be used hard, and in some cases I know they are. Rule #1 is of course NO DISHWASHER!!!! Having said that, I have run scraps through our DW with no glueline failure. Some horrible bleaching of the walnut for sure, though!

John Thompson
11-30-2009, 8:47 PM
im curious as to why most of the posters think that the boards should not be used. weather or not the OP intends these to be real cutting boards or if they are just for show i feel that a cutting board of that quality should be used. its a crime not to otherwise why make them? a board like that who does not see any action is like having a rifle but not firing any bullets from it, it is basically just a very expensive stick.[/QUOTE] Sean....

I will try to answer that from my perspective. Sean. I think the comments I and others made about to nice to use is more idealistic as just too pretty to get scarred up in a real fight even though that is what they are intended for. Every time I get a new truck... I hate to see those first scratches or load it down with horse manure as it's just pretty to look at.

But.. the reality is I buy a truck to preform work task and once I get the first scar the honey-moon with the beauty part is over and the reality of "get er done" sets in. :)