PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever make wooden hinges?

Dan Mitchell
11-25-2009, 9:33 PM
Recently made a nice "bandsaw box" out of an Imbuia burl, about 6"w x 3"h x 5"d. Rather than spend the ridiculous sums I have in the past on brass hinges ($30+/pair) I was thinking it would be possible to make a set out of wood. I have some ash which would be pretty strong, or on this wood, walnut might be a nice contrast. It's a "low duty" application, seems like something made out of a bit of stock at most 3/16" thick, with a suitable metal pin, would be strong enough. I'd like something that held the lid open just past 90* Anyone ever do this, or have a design?

TIA

Dan

Jamie Buxton
11-25-2009, 9:40 PM
Incra sells a jig for making wooden hinges.

Benoit Bissonnette
11-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi,

Rob Cosman sells a DVD titled "Wood-Hinge Box DVD and Jig Set". It's near the end of the page here: http://www.robcosman.com/dvd.php

Benoit

Dick Bringhurst
11-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I have the Incra system. You can make several sizes with it but the smallest will have a barrel 3/8" in diameter and at least an inch wide. Dick B.

Dan Mitchell
11-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of something a bit more rudimentary, picture a small section of box joint, suitably rounded where required, with a pin running through it. Seems doable without the jig.

Harold Burrell
11-26-2009, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of something a bit more rudimentary, picture a small section of box joint, suitably rounded where required, with a pin running through it. Seems doable without the jig.

Sounds good to me!

Cody Colston
11-26-2009, 9:16 AM
The Incra jig primarily provides a guide for drilling the hinge-pin hole through the hinge knuckles. I have the jig but made wooden hinges before getting it, too.

If the hinges are to be attached to the outside back of the box, then simply round over the hinge-pin side of the stock before cutting box joints. Then cut out the hinge sections and drill the pin hole through them. You can get 1/8" brass rod at the big box.

If the hinges are put on the inner edges and need to fold flat when the box is closed, then you will need an appropriate size bull nose router bit and will have to cut away the stock to 1/2 of the knuckle diameter.

This box has Elm hinges (same as the lid) made using the Incra jig.

Brian W Evans
11-26-2009, 9:28 AM
Here's a link to some very cool hinges made by a creeker. He posted instructions on how to make them:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89894

Dan Mitchell
11-26-2009, 9:48 PM
I made a couple hinges out of maple, here's a pic of them on the box in question, with 1/16" drill bits serving as pins. Box again is made out of an Imbuia burl. These hinges aren't bad, I think, but given the somewhat "abstract" look of the box, something along the lines of the Tuinstra hinges might be better, thanks for directing me to his excellent post. I may see what else I can come up with.

Thanks for the replies.

Dan