PDA

View Full Version : Performax 22-44 problem, help!

doug faist
11-25-2009, 9:20 PM
I've had this drum sander for about 4 years and it's performed admirably all that time.

BUT, in the last week or so when I've been running it for 4-5 minutes it starts to emit a howling that sounds an awful lot like a bad bearing.

Does anyone have this sander and have you had occasion to change the bearings? Is this a difficult fix or should I be contacting the seller to make the repair.

I couldn't find this particular issue addressed in the archives and I'm hoping someone may have the answer.

Thanks for your help.
Doug

Dan Forman
11-26-2009, 4:59 AM
I have found Jet customer service to be very helpful. I would give them a call, ask to talk to a tech, and describe the problem, and see what they have to say.

Dan

Rod Upfold
11-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Where's the sound coming from - motor or sander or belt drive?

doug faist
11-26-2009, 2:13 PM
Ron - definitely from the drum. My garden hose technique is a bit rusty, but both motors (drive belt and sander) seem fine. I'm just not sure which end of the drum is making the noise.

Dan - I'll give JET a call; unfortunately they're closed until Monday. Oh, well, I'll just eat leftovers until then.:D

Thanks for the replies.

Doug

Rod Upfold
11-29-2009, 2:02 PM
The brass bushing might be dry - squirt a little 3 in 1 oil in and see if the squeal disappears.

doug faist
11-29-2009, 4:01 PM
Rod - thanks for the suggestion, but a question. What brass bushing am I looking for; where exactly is it?

Sorry to be so dumb about this but I keep looking at the drum and I can't locate a brass bushing.

Thanks.
Doug

Dave Lehnert
11-29-2009, 6:30 PM
I would give JET a call before doing anything. I have a JET cabinet saw and after searching SMC I was convinced I needed new arbor bearings. I called JET to get bearings and the guy at JET said it was most likely the pulley set screws needed snugged down. Long story short he was right:D

Rod Upfold
11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
If you don't have a manual...

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/manuals/m_649003K.pdf

From the manual...

"recommended procedures on a monthly basis:
• Lubricate conveyor bushings and check for
wear.
• Lubricate all moving parts, such as threaded
rods, washers, and bushings. (Bearings are
pre-sealed and require no lubrication.)
• Clean sawdust from the abrasive strip and
brush dust from the conveyor belt.
• Blow dust from motors and switches. Blow
dust from inside of sanding drum, which may
cause vibration or offset the center of
balance.
• Check all set screws for tightness on parts
such as bearings, the conveyor, and
couplings."

The bushing are shown on page 28, part number 28.

If this doesn't work - get yourself an empty paper towel tube and use as a doctor uses a "stethoscope" to isolate the squealing sound.

Rod

doug faist
11-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Rod - thanks again. I'm calling Jet in the morning and as a last resort I'm going to open the owners manual. :)

Doug