PDA

View Full Version : New member from Western Wisconsin

Bill Wilcox
11-25-2009, 5:31 PM
Hi all new member here. My name is Bill Wilcox and am from Hudson, Wisconsin. I just recieved a old but very well taken care of Craftsman 12"X36" lathe with 13 turning chisels. grinding machine and duplicator system. Currently I am re-configuring my garage to accommodate this new found wealth of tools and machines.
I have been for a long time a woodworker and have recently been doing custom straight razor scales for people who are into shaving with straight razors. My lathe plans are to get some time on the lathe to turn shaving brushes, soap mugs and Christmas ornaments.
I am looking for clubs or turning groups in the Twin Cities( Minneapolis/St. Paul) to join. Also am looking to find if there are any vo-tech schools that offer turning classes in the evenings and weekends.
I have for many, many years admired people who turn wood and I am excited to pick this new hobby up.
Bill

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2009, 5:39 PM
Bill - Welcome to the Creek! You're going to love turning!

Been through Hudson many times as our oldest son and family live in St. Paul!

This is a great place to learn - so be sure to ask lots of questions!

Robert McGowen
11-25-2009, 5:55 PM
Welcome! I happened to have ordered some soap and 4 badger hair shaving brush knots from The Golden Nib last night. The order had already been shipped this morning, so I hope that their products are as good as the customer service! (No affiliation to company.) Good luck with your new hobby!

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2009, 6:23 PM
Welcome Bill to SMC. You are going to love turning. Post pictures because we love Pic's.

alex carey
11-25-2009, 7:10 PM
Welcome, definitely try and join a club.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Jeff Nicol
11-25-2009, 7:51 PM
Bill, I am located in Eau Claire and I have some of my work in a gallery in downtown Hudson! My cousin owns the gallery and she just moved there from Hammond. It is located in the old post office building and is called "STONE SOUP GALLERY". If you are ever in Eau Claire look me up and I can help you with anything you might need from wood too tools, or a cup of coffee and good conversation!

Welcome to the creek from another cheesehead!

Jeff

charlie knighton
11-25-2009, 8:08 PM
welcome/ you should explore your area, it has a lot of national interest places in your area

David E Keller
11-25-2009, 8:29 PM
Welcome from another relative newbie. This site is fantastic because of the people who post here. Never been exposed to a more helpful group of folks. I'm starting to believe that turners are the nicest people on earth. Ask questions, post photos, and enjoy turning

gary Zimmel
11-25-2009, 8:38 PM
Welcome to the Creek Bill.

I'm quite new to this also, but this forum is a wealth of knowledge.
Enjoy the ride...

Bill Bolen
11-25-2009, 8:43 PM
Welcome Bill...always room for one more...Bill...

Bill Wilcox
11-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks all !!! nice to be welcomed and nice to see people who are willing to help a newbie turner. To be honest I was really inspired into turning from another forum and saw some of Sacha's turning he does and was blown over by the things that can be produced on a lathe. I am just finishing up hooking my machines up in the garage and will soon be doing some turning. I have been reading my A** off on this subject and have really gotten the bug bad.
Like I said in my first post, I have been making wooden straight razor scales for people on a shaving site and have neen making wooden straigThey have gone all over the world and I still have a dozen to get out next week.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and be safe.
Bill

ROY DICK
11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Bill,
As others have said "Welome to the Creek".
I would take Jeff Nicole up on his offer.Please keep us on posted on your adventure in the world of turning.

Roy

Greg Just
11-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Welcome Bill:

There is a small school in Hudson called the Wild Earth School

http://www.aboutwildearth.com/

It is run by George Vondriska. I took my first bowl turing class there about 4 years ago.

Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
11-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Bill,

Welcome to the Creek and to the Vortex!

Let me tell you and David Keller just how generous Creeker turners are. It was 4 years ago about this time IIRC. The turners were having an Itty Bitttly contest. What a happy-go-lucky fun time they were having. I, not a turner, started teasing them because of their friendly frolicking temperment. Well, it was a mistake on my part. The teasing between me and the turners here went on until just before the next SuperBowl. They took up a collection and sent me a Jet VS Mini lathe, tools, wood. I was trying to finish my new shop and making good headway at the time. Well some 18 months later, the nearly $700 worth of lighting was still sitting on the floor...the walls and ceiling unpainted......I had the lathe mounted on the infamous "diving board" which was a 2/12 sitting on two halves of a Little Giant Ladder system each setup n the A-frame mode. I had spent over $3,000 out of my own pocket for accessories. Those sneaky generous rascals had gotten even and ahead!:eek::rolleyes: I haven't found anything that gives me as much satisfaction. I now have replaced the Jet Mini with a PM3520B. I passed the lathe on to another new turner.

Creeker turners.....turners in general........The most generous of all the woodworkers I have met!

Again....Welcome to the Creek Bill.

PS...I still haven't finished my shop...but I have wood to turn!

Dan Forman
11-26-2009, 4:53 AM
A big SMC welcome from a former Cheesehead (Oshkosh). Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Dan