PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

Allen Isakson
11-25-2009, 5:30 PM
Thnaks Darren and Matt. Here is a pic not that good but the product came out fantastic. Im not very good with a camera. Does anyone have a good source for absolute black marble?

Have a great thanksgiving everyone. I must say im thankful for the forum and help it provides and the willingness of everyone to share.

Allen

Dee Gallo
11-25-2009, 5:55 PM
That came out very well, Allen. I'm sure your memorial is much appreciated.

I too am thankful to the Creek members for help in many ways. This is a great forum. Many thanks to Keith for providing it!

cheers, dee

Brian Robison
11-25-2009, 6:49 PM
Home Depot, or any good flooring store.

Allen Isakson
11-25-2009, 8:08 PM
thanks brain but home depot does not carry marble only granite.

Brian Robison
11-25-2009, 8:34 PM
I don't think there is any such thing as absolute black marble. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though.

Jack Harper
11-25-2009, 8:37 PM
I don't think there is any such thing as absolute black marble. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though.

Brian,

It is called "pure black" marble and I buy by the pallet all the time. It is a true sedimentary stone i.e. marble. Just an FYI:)

Brian Robison
11-25-2009, 8:46 PM
So does that make me wrong or right?:confused::D

Mike Null
11-25-2009, 10:02 PM
yes........

Darren Null
11-26-2009, 6:33 AM
Probably...

Glad it worked out for you Allen.

Jack Harper
11-26-2009, 10:12 AM
So does that make me wrong or right?:confused::D

Good question. I guess it really depends on exactly what you were saying. If you were questioning the actual existence of a 100% black stone that was a true marble, then you were wrong. However, if you were questioning the specific naming nomenclature, then you were right, as to the fact there is no true black marble named absolute black. Unfortunately, many businesses that sell stone do not subscribe to the proper material names as set by the primary industry governance body, the Marble Institute of America. MIA and its worldwide affiliates, try to set guidance as to stone name and classification so everyone is on the same page and the buyer knows what they are buying. If anyone is interested in learning the finer points of stone, check out marble-institute.com.

So Brian, sense only you know what you were actually saying, I would go with, you were right.;)

Belinda Barfield
11-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Good question. I guess it really depends on exactly what you were saying. If you were questioning the actual existence of a 100% black stone that was a true marble, then you were wrong. However, if you were questioning the specific naming nomenclature, then you were right, as to the fact there is no true black marble named absolute black. Unfortunately, many businesses that sell stone do not subscribe to the proper material names as set by the primary industry governance body, the Marble Institute of America. MIA and its worldwide affiliates, try to set guidance as to stone name and classification so everyone is on the same page and the buyer knows what they are buying. If anyone is interested in learning the finer points of stone, check out marble-institute.com.

So Brian, sense only you know what you were actually saying, I would go with, you were right.;)

Ditto what Jack said. The MIA site is great. Anyone who works with marble or granite should also be aware that there are different grades of stone, particularly marble. As with most things, the better the quality of the raw material, the better then end product.

Many stone suppliers also change the name of a material so that you it is more difficult for the buyer to price shop. I can't tell you how many times a customer has asked me for a price for a material I've never heard of, and when I finally track it down it's a material that is very common.