PDA

View Full Version : Exotic wood question

Michael Stafford
10-03-2004, 8:41 AM
Friday I went on a little shopping excursion to the big city. Bought a couple of lathe chisels, some sandpaper (about 15 lbs. in bulk), a few pen blanks, a new canister for my ROS and a roast beef sandwich with fries and a coke.

I also went to my closest and most favorite purveyor of fine hardwoods both domestic and exotic. I like to look and if I see a board that I like I buy.

Well I saw a beautiful 6" by 7 foot piece of curly imbuia/imbuya that I decided to take home with me. Where does imbuia originate?

I was specifically looking for some wenge but he was out and directed me to some panga panga. Looks a lot like wenge, perhaps not as dark. I found a small piece of that to try. What do you folks know about panga panga?

Lastly I saw some chechen. I've turned some pens from it but know nothing about it otherwise. Where does it come from?

He also said that tulipwood, the rosewood varietal, is not going to be nearly as available as before- endangered species or something like that. His supplier was pricing pen blanks at $3-$5. Anyone know anything about that. I love to make tulipwood pens.

I know I'm supposed to post pictures and later today I will try to get some of the wood. Tyler, I will self flagellate later as penance... :eek:

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-03-2004, 8:47 AM
Michael, Imbuya is an Evergreen species that is native to Southern Brazil. For as heavy and dense as it is, it is not exceptionally strong, nor does it take to bending well. Other than that, it should work nice, and finish well. That wood sure it pretty........I have seen it a few times, but I have never worked it. It is often wavy, or curly, and it has beautiful yellow to brown stripes running thru the grain. Nice score Michael..................enjoy it! :)

(Woops, forgot the other 2 you mentioned. Panga Panga is from Africa, and is very similiar to Wenge. Chechen is native to Central America, Mexico and Yucatan. Chechen Burl is beautiful, and seems to be plentiful as well. Both are nice exotics.)

Michael Stafford
10-03-2004, 8:55 AM
All right, Kevin, inquiring minds gotta know. Did you just have that knowledge tucked away in your intercranial folds? Thanks for the info. The imbuya I have has no lighter colored streaks but it does have a pronounced curl. It will be a box before long...

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-03-2004, 9:44 AM
Well Michael, some of it is stuck in the inner workings of my brain, but I have a lot of reference material regarding wood too. Years ago, when I spent my education and occupation in the world of Horticulture, I picked up and remembered a lot about Trees & Ornamentals. While not a "Tree Hugger" by any stretch, I do like trees and the learning associated with them. I have people ask me how I can cut down trees when I am so fond of them. I simply answer, "I have planted well over a thousand trees so far in my life, so I think if anyone is entitled to harvest a few, it would be me". That usually either shuts them up, or starts an argument............which I just smile and walk away from. :D

Michael Stafford
10-03-2004, 9:47 AM
Well said Kevin. One of the reasons I love this website is that there are so many helpful people. Many of them are learned, educated and wise... then there are the guys like me...Doh!