PDA

View Full Version : Wood plane as a first project

Nathan Talbert
11-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Beginner here just wondering if a wooden plane is a good project for a relatively novice neander. I don't have many tools but am willing to purchase the ones needed to make a good starter smoother. Actually I think a few month ago someone posted some pics of a small one they made while tinkering around. Seems like this is a good project for someone with limited space. Any suggestions on this?

By the way, I read alot of questions from newbies asking about tools and which ones to get first, and deciding what projects they can do with them. This is just my opion here, but wouldn't it be good if the newbies were encourage to make tools and other items that they will use and be able to use as building blocks to work up to larger projects? Key word being "use". I think the "usefullness" of a project is key, especially for beginners. I personally don't see myself dropping $200-$500 on tools so i can make a fine piece that doesn't contribute to improving my skills. I know this sound conceded, but we beginners really have to work up to those finer, more complicated pieces. I may be wrong here, but i imagine that the new apprentices in 17th century cabinet shops made things for their shop (ei. tools, benches, jigs, etc.) Ok i am ready for my lashings now :)

Matt Evans
11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I am not sure.

A plane has to have very tight tolerances to work well, so if you don't already have a little experience working with wood to very tight tolerances, a plane might not be the best first project.

I would recommend starting with a bowsaw, a larger frame saw, a saw bench, a few good saw horses and a bench with a vise. That way, you still get tools and things you will need, but you have time to build the eye and feel for close tolerances needed for something as finicky as a plane.

Solid wood cabinets are also a great way to build those skills, so possibly getting some pine or poplar and getting your shop set with storage isn't a bad idea. A thought on that is to incorporate Mortice and tenon joints, dovetails, dados, raised panels, rabbets, tongue and groove joints, bridle joints, mitres etc, in different cabinets you build. That gives you a variety of experience and a good grounding in traditional joints.

Just my thoughts, but I know from experience that a good plane is a bit more finicky to build than it looks. But, if you want to jump in and do it first, more power to you.

Brian Kent
11-25-2009, 11:37 AM
If it looks like fun, go for it. You will learn along the way. I do recommend David Finck's book rather than a short web article on building wooden planes:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Mastering-Wood-Planes-Printing/dp/061527353X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259163638&sr=8-1

Lot's of great information.

Matt is right that planes are finicky. The good side is that since you can keep the blade, if you have to try making a second or third body until it is right, that's fine.

Post your photos and get comments along the way. You will get encouragement and suggestions here.

Do you know what you want to use as a blade. If not, we can recommend good sources.

Good luck and have fun, until you have a great smoother.

Brian

scott spencer
11-25-2009, 11:44 AM
It's not a project that I would typically recommend for a beginner, but hey it's certainly possible...a challenge is good so go for it. Be careful, and please post pics when you're done!

Brian Kent
11-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Nathan,

I'm thinking about when I started making hand planes. I made boxes before that and I think that small box-making helped with a few skills hat came in handy for the project.

Brian

Graham Hughes (CA)
11-25-2009, 2:15 PM
It can be done, although it's much easier with the Krenov style the first time than it is to chop an accurate mortise. It's a bit ambitious, but on the other hand you'll know the ins and outs of planes by the time you finish it.

David Gendron
11-25-2009, 2:59 PM
I think as long as you take your time and follow steps "religiously" and take your time and take your time.... You will do fine espacialy if you don't expect to much out of it at first. Be realy carefull when it come to the mouth part... I wont say more or maybe Thanke your time!!

Jim Koepke
11-25-2009, 3:33 PM
Graham and my thoughts are along the same lines of if you are going to make a plane as a first project a Krenov style plane may be the way to go.

My first reaction to the OP before reading all the replies is a plane is difficult to make if one does not have experience cutting and shaping wood.

My thoughts also leaned toward buying and fettling an old metal plane to give you a few ideas about some of the aspects of what makes a plane work.

Not being an 18th century apprentice in a cabinet shop, I can only relay what I have read. Apprentices tended to do work that was below journeymen level. Things like sweeping the floor and keeping the fire burning. When they proved they could pay attention, they may have been taught how to sharpen different tools. They would learn the tasks that needed being done to allow the more experienced workers in the shop do the work that brought in the money.

Ten years ago, I could not saw to a line and didn't know why. Since then, I have learned about using, sharpening and tuning saws. Now I can cut off a piece of wood and have it square to all four sides of the piece being cut. What is better, now if a saw is not cutting straight I have the understanding of what is happening and how to figure out why it is not working the way it should.

This gets back to my original thought of building a plane may be a good first project. Without a tutor, it could also be a road to frustration. Ten years ago, my planes worked, but no where near as well as they do now. Learning about sharpening and tuning a plane has made a lot of difference. It is now getting to the point of my feeling I may be able to make a plane. First though, since I have a lot of planes I want to do some saws. Finding good planes is not a difficult task if one is in an area with lots of yard sales and flea markets.

Finding a decent saw is a different matter. There are a lot of used saws to be had, but many of them have been treated very poorly over the years.

So, my long rambling point is building a plane is an ambitious project that could be a good learning experience if you know what to expect and if you have some good direction to know where the mistakes can thwart your efforts. It may be better to learn some of the needed skills on a few less ambitious projects first.

The decision is of course your own, so if you go for it, post pictures and let us know how it comes out.

Maybe it will inspire me to finally make a plane.

jim

Bob Strawn
11-27-2009, 2:07 AM
The Woodsmith Store (http://www.woodsmithstore.com/handplanekit.html) has a very reasonable kit with a Hock blade and breaker.

The materials that come in the kit, fairly easily can be made into a pretty nice plane.

My advice to a new tool maker, is to get this kit and see how you like it. Then get a Hock blade (http://hocktools.com/PI.htm) for making a Krenov and then make several using the same blade. There are not very many projects that cost as little to make as a Krenov Plane without a blade. Later you can get more blades, when you get tired of swapping.

After that, the Hock blade that came in the kit is perfect for odd experiments, such as this wedge free rabbet.

http://toolmakingart.com/images/rabbet/Rabbet%20no%20Wedge%2000.JPG

There is no way that I could afford all the odd mistakes and experiments I have made, without reusing blades.

Bob

Nathan Talbert
12-10-2009, 3:46 PM
Did a search on youtube and came across Ron Hock's tutorial for building his wooden plane kit. Looks like something I could do with my limited experience and tools. What do you all think?

Bob Strawn
12-10-2009, 4:39 PM
The cost in wood, unless you are crazy and go with endangered wood day one, is low. The labor is also training, so worth it. If you mess up horribly, you still have the iron for the next plane attempt! Hock is good and the plan is good too.

Bob

Brian Kent
12-10-2009, 5:03 PM
Go for it, Nathan.

David Gendron
12-10-2009, 5:35 PM
+1 on the worth it do it! I bought all the plane plans from Ron and a few blades, the plans are great full size well describ plans!
good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Tim Dorcas
12-10-2009, 7:25 PM
If you really want to make a hand plane I'd say check this out. The video is cheap, very informative, and allows you to download it immediately. Get the info here (http://www.iamplify.com/store/product_details/WOOD-Magazine/Shop-Made-Hand-Planes-with-Matt-Seiler/product_id/4495).

Honestly, I would try something else. Making a hand plane is very cool but to make a good one takes a bit of precision. Why not make a couple of boxes first? Better yet get a good hand plane (LN, Veritas, ect.) and use it in a couple of projects to see what a good one feels like. Do not buy a cheap one. I did this thinking I was saving a lot of money and that they all worked the same. This is NOT the case.

Normally I would not try to convince anyone to not at least try something but I think there are a few simpler things you can do. I have made a few (see here (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/16576)) and while on the surface they are not hard to make, it's hard to make one that works really well.

Good luck!

Tim

Jim Paulson
12-11-2009, 8:46 AM
There is a lot of good advice here to consider. Before I ever made a plane, in my case the Krenov style, I purchased some old wooden planes and refurbished them. Often you have to patch the sole to close the mouth so you can get thin shavings. Buying a coffin style smoother at a flea market and tuning it up would be plenty of challenge for someone just getting into woodworking. Once you mastered that you can find a bunch of resources on how to make wooden planes, making the irons, etc. Food for thought.

Jim
http://www.chairsbypaulson.com