PDA

View Full Version : lathe time - how much do you all get?

Mike Minto
11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
as a busy professional (harumph -well, i do have a full time job, anyway) i do 8 1/2 hours at work, about 30 minutes travel time each way, and spend the evenings, what is left of them, anyway, with LOML. Occasionally i get 45 minutes to an hour at night in the shop and and about the same most mornings before work. weekends i probably get 3 hours or so each day at the lathe. how much time do you guys usually get (i know we'll envy the pros)?

Brian Effinger
11-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Not nearly enough. :(

In reality, I probably get about half the time you do, Mike.

RL Johnson
11-25-2009, 10:54 AM
If I could manage 3 hours a week I would be happy. Like Brian said, not nearly enough.

Rick Hutcheson
11-25-2009, 11:06 AM
I play all day on the lathe. Being somewhat retired that is all I do is play in the shop. My normal day is to turn maybe 6-8 bowls. They keep stacking up, some day I will have to find a way to sell some or I am going to run out of room.
Here is a picture of what I have on hand awhile back. I am still adding more of course.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/turningdisplay.htm

Glenn Weathington
11-25-2009, 11:07 AM
I spend about 20 hours weekly in my shop. That will increase as soon as I finish building a new lathe stand, articulated hollowing system, and a cheapo wall cabinet. I really do prefer turning to F-work :rolleyes:.

Richard Madison
11-25-2009, 11:10 AM
As much as I want. Depends upon project(s) in progress though. Some weeks mostly just cutting and gluing, but may do a turning project between and amongst cuttings and gluings. Restricted turning time during finish work to avoid getting dust suspended in the shop air.

David E Keller
11-25-2009, 11:21 AM
maybe 3 or 4 hours a week. Occasionally, I get a little more on weekends, but there are times when I go a week or two without turning a thing.

John Keeton
11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I play all day on the lathe. Being somewhat retired that is all I do is play in the shop. My normal day is to turn maybe 6-8 bowls. They keep stacking up, some day I will have to find a way to sell some or I am going to run out of room.
Here is a picture of what I have on hand awhile back. I am still adding more of course.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/turningdisplay.htm My Gosh!!!!:eek::eek::eek: Rick, you need another diversion! Or, perhaps some serious counseling!:D;) If you keep turning, you are going to run out of room.

Rick Hutcheson
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
John you are right. I may have to rearrange the other side of the room to get more room for turnings. But these old scrollsaws take up most of it.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/images/SawCollect/ShowRoom2.jpg

John Keeton
11-25-2009, 1:16 PM
Rick, apparently having "another diversion" didn't work for you!:eek: Quite a collection of scroll saws - maybe you could use them for barter for therapy sessions!!:D;)

Brodie Brickey
11-25-2009, 1:19 PM
I haven't gotten any turning time in a couple months with the new job. I'll be in the shop this week for at least 8-16 hours to get the presents ready. Got mugs & vases to turn.

Mike Minto
11-25-2009, 1:49 PM
sounds like some of you are in the shop quite a bit - i'm green with envy! the time i get during the week is kinda rushed, but i find if i don't so some sort of woodwork on any given day, i feel the day was completely wasted. weekend time is the best, a few uninterrupted hours of spiinning zen.

alex carey
11-25-2009, 1:57 PM
Mon- at school all day, I can turn from 8-12 at night pending homework.
Tues- one 4 hour class. After 5 pm I have lathe time, pending homework of course.
Wed- same as monday.
Thurs- have time during the day but night is taken.
Fri- same as monday.
Sat- free time
Sun- free time.

In other words, I have tons of time to turn on the lathe, as long as I have HW out of the way and im not with friends.

Bill Bulloch
11-25-2009, 5:24 PM
I'm retired and spend most of my day with my hobby. I am normally in the shop about 9 A.M. and around 3 P.M. I get a little tired and clean up a little and come inside. If I am working on something interesting, then I'll go back out after supper and piddle around until 10 or so. My wife calls it "playing".

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2009, 6:28 PM
I get about 4 hrs a week but in 36 days I will be able to turn all day everyday if I want to.

Mike Stephens
11-25-2009, 8:09 PM
Not anywhere near enough.:(

charlie knighton
11-25-2009, 8:14 PM
i ususally turn 2 or 3 days a week, trying to level an area out for small shop building, aw.... :eek: studio

Jeff Nicol
11-25-2009, 8:21 PM
Well on a normal basis it is 3-5 hours a day depending on how the old body feels. I was a workaholic before I tore up my shoulders and I have to do something every day or I will go crazy!! The feeling of accomplishment is good for the soul! I got my hunting done so the freezer is full of tasty venison, and now I can get back to the shop. I have to finish some flat work in the next 2 weeks or my new grandson who is on the way, won't have a cradle to lay his sweet head down in!

Turning is my life!!

Jeff

Doug Thompson
11-25-2009, 8:57 PM
Say no more...

Mike Minto
11-25-2009, 9:06 PM
Say no more...

but, doug - your powermatic is all in pieces - what ARE you doing with your time? :p

Barry Elder
11-25-2009, 9:23 PM
My shop is in a storage facility where a few of us have hobby and money shops and is open from 7 am to 9 pm every day. The computer locks the gate at 9pm or I would only turn at night, especially in the summer.:D At 67, I have earned the right to play when I want!

Doug Thompson
11-25-2009, 11:19 PM
but, doug - your powermatic is all in pieces - what ARE you doing with your time? :p

One day I really hope this will have a place to be setup... until then it will sit. The other one was fired up today and swings the same as a jet mini... turning wood is more fun.

Ryan Baker
11-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Lathe time for me normally means starting on a Friday night at about 10pm and going till about 2 or 3 in the morning, if I am awake enough. (This is certainly not the safest schedule, but it's what i've got. Don't try this at home.) On a good weekend, I may be able to squeeze in a few more hours on a Saturday afternoon. My work and other schedule is way too insane right now to get any more than that. I have WAY more ideas and backlogged projects than I have time to work on.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-26-2009, 4:59 AM
I can't wait till I retire...... Hopefully by then I can sell something I turned.

Rasmus Petersen
11-26-2009, 10:34 AM
never enoug.. but i get turning time most days of the week, seeing that i make my living (some of it) at the lathe :) Right now its 16 hours a day gogin 9 days straight today.. Have the bit christmas fair this weekend.

Wally Dickerman
11-26-2009, 11:59 AM
I turn as much as I want to turn. I've been retired since 1986 so my time has been my own for a long time. For several years I turned like it was a full time job. I was supplying 9 galleries. Nearly all hollow forms. Now I have only a couple of galleries. That's by choice. If I'm doing something real interesting I'll spend several hours in a day in the shop. Or not at all.

Wally