PDA

View Full Version : Some finishing help......

Brian Hale
10-03-2004, 6:44 AM
The majority of my finishing experience rests in using Minwax stains on oak and ash followed by HVLP spraying nitrocellulose lacquer. If I may say so, I’m pretty good at it and have sprayed hundreds and hundreds of gallons while I worked as a cabinet maker and on my own.

This latest project will change things….

The customer wants birch colored to look like the traditional cherry you’ll find in a furniture store only he wants the grain of the wood to show through and not quite as dark. OK, so I stain some of the many pieces of scrap I have lying around from the project (don’t ask :rolleyes: ) and find that what I’ve read is true; the wood blotches the stain. Some more reading suggests I should dye the wood and apply a clear film finish. We’re now in uncharted territory.

A little more reading leads me to something completely different; colored/tinted water based finishes. This sounds intriguing.

I’ve read through most of the information on the Target Coatings website and it looks like this is a possible solution. What I need to do is make up a couple samples to mail to the customer and let him choose what he likes and then finish from there.

Have any of you folks gone this route?
How do I get the color I want?
How durable is the finish compared to lacquer?
How do I order? What do I ask for?
Thanks!
Brian :)

Here's a shot of the first of 2 cabinets. 56"h x 36"w x 28"d. It gets a 2" wide face frame and a 1.5" divider across the center. 3 drawers in the top section and 4 in the bottom. Each unit will have a glass panel bookcase on top.

Todd Burch
10-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Brad, I haven't used any of Targets coatings, but I have gone your unchartered route before:

"Have any of you folks gone this route?"
Yes. I used NGR dye stains (I call them "toners") all the time. With an without stains afterwards. I've tinted precat lacquer with toners too, up to a max 5% for the brand I use.

"How do I get the color I want?"
Start with their color sheet, and practice, practice, practice. Mix and match, keep track of your mixtures. Keep them as future samples. Write formula on the back of the sample, lest you forget.

"How durable is the finish compared to lacquer?"
I use a precatalyzed lacquer, and it's a lot more durable than a nitro lacquer.

"How do I order? What do I ask for?"
I know you can get them mail order. Your professional supplier will help you get started with them. If they won't, find a new supplier.

Todd

Jim Becker
10-03-2004, 10:24 AM
I pretty much use WB dyes to color wood. That combined with tinted/toned finish should allow you to develop a finishing regimen that meets the needs of this project. Of course, it's going to take some time for you to develop that through creating samples on pieces of the same material used in the project (sheet goods AND solid stock) and keeping copious notes. Hopefully, you've built enough "special finishing" cost into your quote...

The TC acrylics can be tinited with water soluable or "universal" tinting materials. Jeff Jewitt is a good source for product and resource for advice on the same. (homesteadfinishing.com)

Brian Hale
10-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys!

I guess my first step is to buy some different color dyes and start mixing. Is water base the way to go or should i try some alcohol dyes? There is a woodcraft 30 min from me, do you think they have anything worth trying?

Jim, as far as quoting "special finishing" time... well lets just say it's a good thing i have a well paying full time job because this guy is getting a GOOD deal... I'll still be able to get a Bridgewood 17" band saw and a 6x80 belt sander. Per hour i'm only making ~$15 (so far :o )
Brian :)

Keith Christopher
10-03-2004, 1:24 PM
Here is where I go when I need finish help. Jeff is awesome and the responses are quick and timely.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/

Jim Becker
10-03-2004, 1:37 PM
Is water base the way to go or should i try some alcohol dyes?
For wiping one, the WB is better. Alcohol soluable dyes flash off so fast they are better sprayed. Further, you don't want to use the alcohol soluable dyes under shellac, but they are perfect for toning the shellac in solution.

Scott Parks
10-04-2004, 1:18 AM
I've used the Target Coatings for my dining table. Built up about 5 coats of their sealer, and then 2 finish coats. Used a hair dryer to "bake" it to fully cure hard. This stuff holds up! I will buy it again!