PDA

View Full Version : Canon DSLR T1i camera

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Looking for any info/comments from anyone who has/uses this camera. I've read the specs but value the opinion of the members here more than a spec sheet!

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Josh Reet
11-25-2009, 12:37 AM
It's a fine camera that will do more than 95% of the people on this forum want from it.

If you have used any of the digital rebels, this is just an updated version of that line. There really aren't a whole lot of quantum leaps in this line, just a slow steady progression of improvement.

In general, blanket "is this a good camera" questions are like "is this a good bandsaw" questions. If you don't talk a little bit about what you want to do with the tool, it's hard for anyone to give you anything more than very general replies.

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Josh - thanks for your input.

I asked an open question because I was interested in what others thought of the camera. Each person probably would use it for different purposes and could have likes/dislikes based on those uses.

For me, I am looking to upgrade my present camera - a Canon Powershot A70. When I first got the camera 6 years ago - it did everything I wanted. Since then I have gotten into turning and find I really want more out of a camera than what I can get with the A70 - mainly manual focus, control of depth-of-field, defined shading and less noise. I own a 35mm Minolta SLR system and want to get that level of control back when creating my photos.

I am interested in opinions on button layout/ease of use, the live view function as well as on the quality of the 18 - 55 mm lens that comes with the camera.

As mentioned - I've read the specs but am looking for personal opinions from those that have actually used the camera.

Josh Reet
11-25-2009, 2:59 AM
>For me, I am looking to upgrade my present camera - a Canon Powershot A70.

The T1i will be a significant upgrade.

>mainly manual focus

You will have that.

>control of depth-of-field

You will have that.

>defined shading

That's really more a matter of good lighting than what camera you are using.

>and less noise

Noise will be much better.

>I own a 35mm Minolta SLR system and want to get that level of control >back when creating my photos.

The T1i will give you that level of control.

>I am interested in opinions on button layout/ease of use

The Rebel series isn't as easy to use in layout as the more expensive XXD and XD series cameras. The REbels have only one control wheel meaning that you have to press a button and spin the wheel at the same time to change some functions. It isn't a huge deal, I have cameras from all three of those series and using the Rebel is no bother to me. But it is slower than the more expensive cameras. There is no getting around it.

>the live view function

Live view is handy for filming and whatnot. But I really think it is not particularly useful for regular shooting. These cameras are simply too heavy to hold steady at arms length like you do with a point and shoot. But then again, having live view in the camera doesn't harm anything.

>as well as on the quality of the 18 - 55 mm lens that comes with the >camera.

The 18-55 kit lenses that Canon inclused have always been a bit better in quality than most people expect. Completely usable for most people. The biggest drawback is that they are so god awful slow (meaning that they don't let in a lot of light) that you are forced to use a higher ISO or a slower shutter speed. Not a big deal if you are shooting stationary things, but a problem if you are trying to photograph people in low light.

>As mentioned - I've read the specs but am looking for personal opinions >from those that have actually used the camera.

The rebel sseries is a great value in cameras. Most people do not need the more expensive DSLRs and would be better off spending that extra money on a better lens or an external flash.

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2009, 8:44 AM
Josh - thank you for taking the time and answering my questions!

My main reason for a DSLR is to take photos of my turnings. The lighting is controlled, a tripod will be used as well as a photo tent. One of the my biggest disappointments with my present camera is that no matter how well I try to focus the subject, the result has pixelated edges. Same holds true for the subtle changes in shading when viewing the curves of the turning. When I first started photoing my work, I did not even notice. Now... it drives me nuts!

So far, all of the juried art shows that I have submitted entries to have required photos of at least 300 dpi by 6". I find it increasingly difficult to take photos for the shows that are clean, crisp and relatively noise free with my existing camera.

Appreciate your input Josh!

Dan Bundy
11-25-2009, 9:06 AM
dpreview.com is a great place to get information on digital cameras and other imaging equipment such as scanners. The review for my Digital Rebel was WAY more thorough and helpful than the manual that came with the camera.

DB

Josh Reet
11-25-2009, 2:24 PM
dpreview.com is a great place to get information on digital cameras and other imaging equipment such as scanners. The review for my Digital Rebel was WAY more thorough and helpful than the manual that came with the camera.

DB

The reviews on Dpreview are good, just be aware that dpreview is owned by a major camera retailer (amazon). Though to be fair, that ownership has not seemed to change anything as far as their editorial content. It's just something to keep in mind. I also prefer the forums at photo.net (http://photo.net/) to the dpreview forums. I think they are moderated better and attract more serious photographers and fewer pixel-peepers obsessed with specs over actual use.

But be advised that I have an employment connection to photo.net (http://photo.net/) that may make me less than objective. So take my opinions on the matter with a grain of salt.

Cary Falk
11-26-2009, 7:35 AM
Steve,
Have you held one in your hand? When I was looking, I found I liked the feel of the Nikon better then the Cannon. Both companies make great cameras. Just something else to think about.
Cary

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2009, 7:55 AM
Valid point Cary! I hope to be able to do just that but may have a hard time locating a camera locally. I think our American TV store may carry one but I always hated walking into the store because of all the high-pressure sales. Still, how the camera feels while holding it is a very important feature to consider! Thanks for your input!

Mike Sheppard
11-26-2009, 9:17 AM
Steve
We just bought one with the two lens, Meijer, Walmart, and Best Buy all had them in stock. We bought it from Best Buy in Brighton, the kid in the camera dept spend about 1/2hr. with us trying to explan how to use it. As to a review I have not got it figgered out yet but like what I know about it so far.
Mike

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks Mike! Of the stores mentioned - we do have a Walmart about 1/2 hour away - so that would be worth making the trip sometime next week. Thanks!

How do you like the software package that came with the camera? Have you played with the RAW format at all? Just curious...