PDA

View Full Version : maple gloat

Ryan Baker
11-24-2009, 10:45 PM
WooHoo! Just got home a bit ago with a truckload of maple logs ... probably about 3/4 ton at least. I was on my way home from work and came across a tree company that had taken down a HUGE maple. It was already in chunks all over the yard. I stopped to talk with the guys and they were all too happy to fill the bed of my truck with all the logs it could hold. These are all around 25" (or more) diameter, about 4 feet long. They so far look perfectly clear of knots and imperfections. Should get some incredible turning blanks out of them.

I had to use the engine hoist to get the monsters out of the truck. They are neatly piled and anchorsealed on my back porch right now. I hope to get some cut up tomorrow if the weather allows. Sorry, don't have any pictures right now [yeah, I know ... didn't happen], it is dark and raining out there right now.

The best part is that the guy took my name and number as a contact for future logs. (He mumbled something about a walnut job coming up.) He seemed all too happy to find someone to take the stuff away. (This is a smaller operation, so hauling the stuff away is probably more work for him.) I'll see if he calls. I've been looking for a long time for some downed timber around here with no success. All of the tree companies around here immediately chip everything ... even 20"+ trunks. It's gone before you find it. I really needed some nice maple. That should keep me out of trouble for a while.:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Congrats on your Maple score! Sounds like you may have gained a valuable contact! Looking forward to the photos!

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Congrats on a great haul. Yep should keep ya off the streets for a day or two. Those should make a lot of nice bowls.

alex carey
11-25-2009, 12:31 AM
sounds like a nice haul, the trimmers have to pay to get rid of it so they are happy to pass it off.

Dan Forman
11-25-2009, 4:02 AM
You've stumbled on probably the most reliable way of obtaining green wood. Keep in touch with him, and you will be well supplied.

Dan

Jeff Rich
11-25-2009, 6:25 AM
Fresh maple is a treat!
Most people around central Indiana split everything for firewood, so I am grateful for any wood I get in the tracker.
This weekend I will be helping wit a nice maple across the street.
Make friends with a few tree trimmers and you will be supplied for life.

Ryan Baker
11-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Here is a picture of the logs before I started working on them. This afternoon I started cutting blanks and slabs. I have three of the logs roughed into blanks and sealed. Two more logs left, but will probably sit that way for a while. These took some work to cut, since most of the blanks are over 20" (i.e. longer than my bar), and the stringy shavings would jam up the saw in seconds if I wasn't paying enough attention. My back is toast for the night, but i've got some really nice blanks waiting for me.

Sid Matheny
11-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Nice haul and good contact. Be sure to make him something as a gift and you may have all the wood you will need. I always make something for anyone that gives me a nice bunch of wood.

Sid

Richard Madison
11-26-2009, 1:29 AM
Well done Ryan. Good for you.

charlie knighton
11-26-2009, 5:47 AM
Ryan, good haul

you might want to cross cut with the chain saw but to avoid the
and the stringy shavings would jam up the saw in seconds
i just take a wedge and maul to split and shape the blanks with the grain, works easily with most woods except cedar

David E Keller
11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Nice haul... Couldn't agree more with the suggestion to make something for the person that gives you the wood. If he's got kids, tops are a big hit. Pens always seem to be appreciated. I make gifts for everyone on the cutting crew, that way they're all thinking about you when they run across something special.

Ryan Baker
11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Ryan, good haul

you might want to cross cut with the chain saw but to avoid the
i just take a wedge and maul to split and shape the blanks with the grain, works easily with most woods except cedar

Yeah, sometimes I do that. In this case, I was making some careful cuts and taking out some fairly careful slabs so I wanted a bit more precision than just a big wedge. Besides, I figure this gives me the excuse I needed to get that 25" bar for my saw! :)

Yes, I am planning to make some things for the tree guy. As you said, every time he cuts down a tree he will think of me. I'm gonna need a bigger truck. The only problem is gonna be getting out of work to go pick up wood.

Probably going to go cut up some more tomorrow ...

Mark P. Brown
11-29-2009, 9:47 AM
Just a thought. If you have a small utiliy trailer that could be taken to the job site and dropped off when you go to work then picked up on the way home.
Mark

Chris Stolicky
11-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Definitely need a bigger saw!! ;)

Congrats.

Ryan Baker
11-30-2009, 9:53 PM
Definitely need a bigger saw!! ;)

Congrats.

Yep! Picked up a bigger bar Friday. That made it a bunch easier to cut up the rest.

Mark -- The trailer idea is a good one for sure. Don't have a trailer though (yet).

Nathan Hawkes
11-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah, sometimes I do that. In this case, I was making some careful cuts and taking out some fairly careful slabs so I wanted a bit more precision than just a big wedge. Besides, I figure this gives me the excuse I needed to get that 25" bar for my saw! :)

Yes, I am planning to make some things for the tree guy. As you said, every time he cuts down a tree he will think of me. I'm gonna need a bigger truck. The only problem is gonna be getting out of work to go pick up wood.

Probably going to go cut up some more tomorrow ...

Those sort of contacts are important to get! This spring, I got some maple that was a bit like your pieces, but in reverse!! (4 feet++across, and 25" thick!!) I happened upon the crew as they were packing up for the day. It was my favorite tree in the world; was devastated when they cut it. Anyway, when I mentioned to the crew that I wanted to make something from it, they thought, great. I mentioned I had a big saw, and they said, what, like an 036?? No, a husky 394XP. Anyway, long story short, they dumped a few loads at my house (6 cookie slices from the main part of the trunk) Each slice probably weighed 1000lbs. I have a 42" bar for my big saw, so it was no problem. Luckily most landed roughly standing up. One was a bear--had to use a fencepost digging bar to get little wedges around each side. Use your legs, not your back to lift!!! I can't stress that enough! Hope you have fun sharpening chains!! You're going to need a few for those. Happy turning.