PDA

View Full Version : Schedule 40 PVC Sources?

Dan McCallum
11-24-2009, 9:18 PM
I bought a vacuum veener press kit from Joe Woodworker.

It requires that I build some storage tanks from schedule 40 (or 80) PVC. I am not having any luck finding any at my local plumber here in Vancouver BC.

Any other locals know where I can pick some up?

Alternatively, what is it typically used for? Maybe that'll help me find someone who might sell it.

Thanks,

Dan

David Christopher
11-24-2009, 9:22 PM
Dan ,I dont know what is in Vancouver BC but you can get sch 40 1/2" to 4" at the BORG....its standard water piping

Ken Fitzgerald
11-24-2009, 9:25 PM
Around here, any of the irrigation supply places will have it too. Some of the agricultural supply places....feedstores......seedstores...hardware stores...

Bruce Wrenn
11-24-2009, 11:52 PM
What you are looking for is sewer pipe. But beware of the "foam core " stuff. To make it lighter and cheaper, it has a foam core. It will soon fail in your application. Most any plumbing supply house will stock Sch 40. Since you only need a couple of feet, call a local plumber about getting some cut offs. Check with hardware store. If you have a Lowes, they stock "shorts", usually 24" long. But for the price of a couple, you can get a 10' stick. Good luck on the veneer press system.

Quinn McCarthy
11-25-2009, 9:45 AM
Dan,

I just bought the same kit.

I went with 4" pipe instead. I just got the scedule 40 from Menards which is one of the big box stores in the US.'

I can't wait to get mine done. All I need to do is build the frame to mount tit on.

Qunn

Michael Schwartz
11-25-2009, 11:27 AM
last time I was at the home depot they had plenty of Sched 40 PVC, and fittings. The stuff comes in 10' lengths so If you have to get a long pipe and can't fit it in your car its easy to cut in the parking lot with any handsaw.

Dan McCallum
11-25-2009, 5:05 PM
All the PVC at the local Home Depot is labelled as max 320 kPa (46 PSI). This is the same stuff as the local plumbing shop had. It doesn't say schedule anything on it, I think maybe a different standard is used in Canada? Anyways, I will check some more industrial oriented plumbing shops locally.

Nearest feed store is maybe 50 miles away? (I don't know, I've never seen one!)

I guess I could also just use another tank from an old compressor.

Dan

Bruce Wrenn
11-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Dan, the stuff you are seeing is foam core. You could use either one of those "carry around air tanks," or an old 20# propane bottle. Look for 4" PVC well casing. The trouble with old compressor tanks is the crud that is left in them.

John Harden
11-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Dan, I have the same kit from Joe Woodworker. Works fantastic!!!!

For some reason, 40 and 80 is tough to find in some regions. The Midwest seems to have it at all the stores while here on the West Coast, we can only find it at White Cap or other industrial suppliers and only in 20 foot lengths.

Joe sells it for folks like us here, so I bought it from him as even at his high price it was cheaper than buying 20 feet and throwing away 18 of it.

BTW, read his instructions carefully and don't install the one way valve backwards or it won't work. Don't ask how I know this...... :cool:

Regards,

John

Glen Gunderson
11-26-2009, 12:10 AM
I bought a vacuum veener press kit from Joe Woodworker.

It requires that I build some storage tanks from schedule 40 (or 80) PVC. I am not having any luck finding any at my local plumber here in Vancouver BC.

Any other locals know where I can pick some up?

Alternatively, what is it typically used for? Maybe that'll help me find someone who might sell it.

Thanks,

Dan

Weird, I see it everywhere in Victoria. I bought the same veneer press kit and bought some schedule 40 pipe at Home Depot.

Rick Fisher
11-26-2009, 5:43 AM
Dan, I am on Vancouver Island, and in the building supply business..

Its pretty common pipe.. we stock 1/2 thru 2" ..

I would think that Dick's lumber (Rona in Burnaby) or Standard Building supplies would have it ???

The wholesalers in your/our area will have it for sure, Westburne, Andrew Sheret, Bartle and Gibson.. um.. thinking..

Anyway.. Try a normal building supply.. Even a Windsor Plywood should have it ??

Are you in West Van or North Van ?? Not much for supplies in that area.. Land is freaky expensive..

PS.. Most good old fashioned lumberyards will cut off whatever length you want .. we stock it near the saw and sell it by the foot..

Rick Fisher
11-26-2009, 5:46 AM
Hey Dan.. I think Canadian Tire has it too.. not sure.. What size do you need?

If its bigger than 2".. try Andrew Sheret. Would ABS work?

John Harden
11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
The kits typically call for either 4" or 6" diameter pipe.

All we have here in SoCal is 20 foot lengths. :mad:

Dan McCallum
12-01-2009, 9:58 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I also tried the Rona in East Van, nada.

I called Sheret, they are ummm, pretty hard to get through to someone who knows what they are talking about.

As it turns out our furnace packed it in so I asked the plumber to bring me a length of schedule 40 when he came over. What he brought is "System 636 Gas Vent Type BH Class IIA 65C" made by Ipex. I checked on their website and it says it is "made to scd 40 dimensions" but does not actually say "made to scd 40 specifications" or other similar happy phrase. I can say it seems to weigh a lot more than the foam core PVC I was seeing everywhere else.

So can anyone tell me definitively if this Ipex stuff will do the job??

If not I will have to take a morning and drive around to different plumbing wholesalers to see if I can find a length. I will be sure to pack my hacksaw in my Smart car!

Dan

John Harden
12-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Dan, I don't know the answer to your question, but you might try a Google search or call Joe and ask him.

He uses what he uses as it is rated to withstand the vacuum pressures designed into his system. Using anything else may cause it to fail. The good news I suppose is that you're dealing with negative pressure, versus positive.

The difference between you'd just watch it collapse in on itself versus becoming a small bomb...:eek:

Seriously though, it'd be a shame to waste the time and money on the assembly only to have to discard it. Those end caps cost more than the pipe!!!!

Regards,

John

Dan McCallum
12-29-2009, 6:02 PM
Just to wrap this post up, I was unable to determine for sure if the system 636 stuff would be able to withstand the pressure or not. I emailed Joe but he had never heard of it so was unable to give it the OK. I decided that I did not want this thing going boom in my basement so I went for the sched 40 as Joe recommends.

So I gritted my teeth, stood in line for 1/2 hour at Sheret to talk to a barely civil clerk, who deigned to honour me by selling me a 20' length of 3" sched 40 PC with 4 end caps for $68. Nice. I needed 28", not 20'.

So if anyone in the Vancouver area is ever in need of 28" of this stuff for their veneer press kit, I have 212" left over that I am will to part out in 28"-ish lengths cheap!

Dan