PDA

View Full Version : Dreams can make you tired

Bart Leetch
10-02-2004, 11:19 PM
I have been working on this truck that used to be a 23' class A motor home. I started at about 9 AM today cutting & welding in the last few pieces of iron required to mount flat pieces of iron running down on either side of the wooden bunks to run the bolts through to hold the bed on. I did get quite a bit done today & I am happy but tired.

Jim Ketron
10-03-2004, 1:35 AM
Looks Like your doing a good job Bart!
What are you going to pull behind it?
Jim

Frank Pellow
10-03-2004, 6:50 AM
Looks like a good project Bart. Have fun. :)

Kelly C. Hanna
10-03-2004, 8:08 AM
Looks like a neat project...whattya gonna haul with it?

Bart Leetch
10-03-2004, 12:09 PM
You can see a pic of the 5th wheel that we will be towing here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10398

The 5th wheel is a 36'8" Forrest River Sierra triple slide. weighing in a 12000. I just hope this truck will be big enough to tow it. From the information I have the 402 C.I. motor will actually pull better than the 454 C.I. because of its shorter stroke it will have more low end torque & be able to start off & get up to speed quicker. The truck only has 54090 miles on it.

The motor has been gone through & has all new seals & a double roller timing chain & hardened seats in the exhaust valves, new water pump & fuel pump the oil pump is like new. It has all new brakes including master cylinder, New wheels & tires. New radiator & heater core & a quick shift kit in the 400 transmission.

We purchased the motor home for $3200 knowing that the interior was not in real good shape but needed something to live in for a few months after we got out of the military until we had good employment, 15 months later everything fell in place & we didn't need the motor home anymore. We have about $5000 into the truck including original purchase price. The cab has approximately a 7' x 7' area behind the front seats & as you can see it will have a back door.

I figure the LOML & I got the $3200 out of it by living in it for 15 months, so the rest of the cost for a tow truck is very cheap. I'll probably put about $2000 more into it before I get done.

This is all probably more than you wanted to know but it may answer some unasked questions. :)

Bart Leetch
10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Just a little update the frame for the truck bed is now a permanent part of the truck. The brackets got bolted to the wooden bunk & then welded to the metal frame today. :)