PDA

View Full Version : JET bandsaw restoration complete!

Jason White
11-24-2009, 7:17 PM
Some of you might recall a few months ago that I "rescued" a 20-something year old JET 14" bandsaw from a dumpster. About the only thing that worked on it was the motor, so I figured "What the heck?!"

That old rust bucket now has new Carter guides, tension crank, tension spring, new trunnions, blade guard, poly belt, power switch, urethane tires, and various new bolts, knobs and screws that were either stripped or missing.

I also built a mobile cart to replace the crappy steel stand and get the table height to 50" (I'm very tall so this is perfect for me).

I think I probably spent about $350 all total, but she runs great! Whad'ya think?

Jason

Jason White
11-24-2009, 7:20 PM
Rust removed from table with 320-grit sandpaper and coated with Slip-It.

Stan Urbas
11-24-2009, 8:36 PM
You did a really nice job. It's always satisfying to see a solid tool not end up in the dump. So how does it run? Any wobbles, blade track all right, etc?

My only concern would be the exposed belt.

tyler mckee
11-24-2009, 8:44 PM
Just bought the same saw off craigslist for $40, in better shape, just need some tires and blades. How does it run? My motor had a date of 1979

Carroll Courtney
11-24-2009, 9:07 PM
Jason,very nice job.It did look like a basket case or should I say dumpster case.Looking good---Carroll

Jason White
11-25-2009, 8:11 AM
It's a noisy bugger. I suspect that the motor is on it's way out. Will probably need to change the wheel bearings in the near future, too.

Tracks nice and straight and runs strong, though. Need a good solution for dust collection!

Jason

You did a really nice job. It's always satisfying to see a solid tool not end up in the dump. So how does it run? Any wobbles, blade track all right, etc?

Jason White
11-25-2009, 7:01 PM
I'm not too concerned about the exposed belt since I stand on the opposite side of the saw when it's running.

Jason

Curt Harms
11-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Nice job!!