PDA

View Full Version : Woo hoo -- pellet stove GLOAT!!

Jason White
11-24-2009, 6:57 PM
Picking up my new pellet stove for the workshop tomorrow!:D

I chose the Enviro "Mini" for those who care.

Pulled the permit just a few minutes ago. I should be warm and toasty by end of Thanksgiving week!

Pictures to come...

Jason

Scott Hildenbrand
11-24-2009, 7:18 PM
What's the gloat? Get it for free?

Don't forget you can claim it on your taxes.. I think... At least it's eligible...

Jason White
11-24-2009, 7:24 PM
No, not free. Quite expensive, actually. But, I've been living for 5 years without any heat whatsoever out there and it gets down to single digits here during the winter.

Jason

What's the gloat? Get it for free?

Don't forget you can claim it on your taxes.. I think... At least it's eligible...

Joe Broadway
11-24-2009, 9:29 PM
No offense but I think alot of people on here misuse the term gloat. I always thought it was when you got something for really cheap.

Let us know how you like it though. Those things are really hot right now. (ba dum, ching!)

Scott Hildenbrand
11-24-2009, 9:44 PM
That's what I was thinking... I've saved like $50 on stuff before, but never considered it gloat worthy.. Let alone worth a picture of Bill Murray pointing at me, telling me I suck.. :D

But at any rate.. Enjoy the heat... It's something that's sorely missed when you find it gone and end up working in your thermal underwear..

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-24-2009, 9:48 PM
I'll not get into the "philosophy of a gloat" discussion, but I will definitely add my congrats! It does get cold around here, and I can't imagine having my shop w/out heat! (mine is in the basement, so it stays "just right"...)

Josh Reet
11-24-2009, 9:51 PM
Now we're wasting time debating the rules for gloating? Bah.

People can gloat over whatever they want. Who cares? It's not like threads bragging about getting a craigslist deal are any more important than a thread about getting heat in your workshop. Both are pretty useless if you really want to be nitpicky about it.

Hey Jason, CONGRATS on the heat!

Scott Hildenbrand
11-24-2009, 10:46 PM
My shop is in the basement too and it stay... Just cold... I should tap into the heating ducts.

Dad always used one of those turbo heaters? Things that looked and sounded like a jet engine? Always got the place nice and warm PDQ, but noisy suckers.

Those pellet stoves are so bloody supper efficient.. Should work out great for you... Buddy of mine has one and LOVES it.. Very little ash output, auto feed and thermostat driven.. It's like a geeks fireplace.. :D

Q though.. In designs like that, how hot does the outside get? I'd considered one for the house several times, but with a 4yo running around I worry about them.

Wayne Hendrix
11-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Considering I am using a little ceramic heater on my workbench in my uninsulated shop I think this is a pretty good gloat.

Congrats on being able to work comfortably all winter.

Mike Cruz
11-25-2009, 1:12 AM
From someone who is battling the heat issue, CONGRATS!

Philip Johnson
11-25-2009, 1:53 AM
Congrats I know how you feel I have never had heat in my garage shop either but last week end I installed a new hanging gas furnace. Trouble is it was too unseasonably warm to use it. I looked at pellet stoves too, I have a corn burner/pellet fire place in the house and 4000 pounds of pellet so I thought real hard about one but gas seems easier and takes less room and less money too. There is a corn/pellet burning forum called Iburncorn.com has a lot of good info.

Phil

Gary Gleave
11-25-2009, 2:05 AM
I use a 220v heater as well as over head infrared.Start it in the morning before the bacon and eggs. The 220 heater is so expensive to run, I might as well be burning money.
I find your pellet stove gloat worthy just for the cool look factor.

James Arvanetakis
11-25-2009, 3:47 AM
Hey Congratulations Jason! You'll have to give us some pics on the install.

Keith Outten
11-25-2009, 8:17 AM
Seems Gloat Worthy To Me!

Nothing better than working in a warm comfortable shop when its bitter cold or snowing outside.
I'm a woodburning fan myself, its plentiful in my area and cheap. I keep telling myself I will add a wood stove to my workshop every year but life gets in the way of the project :(

Mike Cutler
11-25-2009, 8:20 AM
Jason

I'm envious for sure. I have a portable Kero heater for the winter here in CT. I keep thinking about a pellet stove, but............

Nice gloat.;)

Bill ThompsonNM
11-25-2009, 9:01 AM
Before I moved to New Mexico, I worked in a cold garage in Massachusetts for years before getting a gas heater. What a difference!
I managed to pick up a little used Waterford stove at my local Habitat Re-Store here so I'm heating with wood.

I've got a pellet stove in the house here. Pellet stoves, if the fan is kept up reasonably high, don't get very hot to the touch except the glass to the chamber.. probably okay for a 4 year old.

Congratulations on a toasty shop. We'll expect lots of pictures of completed projects all winter!

Dean Karavite
11-25-2009, 9:14 AM
Jason, I think that is gloat worthy. However, be careful. I think some around here will fully expect that you make your own wood pellets in the shop!

John Hollaway
11-25-2009, 9:36 AM
Jeeesh, there for a minute I thought I had logged on to FWW Knots by mistake...

Congrats on the stove.

Philip Johnson
11-25-2009, 10:31 AM
For those of you thinking of a pellet stove they qualify for 30 percent back energy credit on your taxes this year, same with insulation. Get them shops heated and insulated and get some money back.

Phil

Joe Leigh
11-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Anytime a shop purchase can be made without a wife veto is gloatworthy in my book. Congrats!

Jason White
11-25-2009, 6:59 PM
Good point!

Picked it up this morning and got it all assembled this afternoon. Tomorrow I install the vent and fire it up!! :D

Anytime a shop purchase can be made without a wife veto is gloatworthy in my book. Congrats!

Jason White
11-26-2009, 3:32 PM
Got it all hooked up and working! Too bad it's in the low 50's outside today...

:o

Oh well.. sure throws the heat, though.

I wanted to have it sit "caddy corner," but didn't have the fittings on hand to make it work. Will likely be changing that before the inspector comes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jason

Chip Lindley
11-26-2009, 4:12 PM
Congrats Jason! A Warm shop is a Gloat-worthy Shop! I have suffered in years past in cold garages, with minimal heat and numb fingers from ice-cold cast iron.

And YES, it is TooBad there is not a *crank-out-your-own* Pellet or PrestoLog machine which would turn our waste into usable stove fodder. Plastic bags of sawdust do not burn well at all until the wood stove is Roaring! With high compression, a 55 gal. drum of shavings might make only a few nifty compact @HomeLogs!

James White
11-26-2009, 4:39 PM
I think anything you are proud of is gloat worthy. Congratulations on the comfy shop. Why did you put those floor thingies under it?

Did you ever get those timbers milled up? If not PM me. I have a mill.

James

Jason White
11-26-2009, 4:59 PM
Hi James.

The "floor thingies" under the stove are Dri-Core tiles purchased at Home Depot. They're basically OSB tiles with plastic on the bottom to let air circulate underneath and keep moisture at bay. The concrete floor gets very cold in the winter, so I'm planning to cover the entire floor with them. Had to go ahead and buy a handful so I could get the correct height for the stove's flue pipe.

Oh, and I'm still working on the timbers. I got one of those Prazi beam-cutters. It gets the job done, but very time-consuming!

Jason

I think anything you are proud of is gloat worthy. Congratulations on the comfy shop. Why did you put those floor thingies under it?

Did you ever get those timbers milled up? If not PM me. I have a mill.

James

James White
11-26-2009, 5:09 PM
Oh I get it now. Your planing ahead. Gotcha.

Let me know if you get tired of using the Prazi. I am near UCONN Storrs.

James

scott vroom
11-26-2009, 5:13 PM
Jason, have you considered insulating the shop? I noticed the exposed studs...must be letting a lot of heat from the new stove to escape. I insulated my shop then covered the studs with 3/4" plywood rather than drywall which gives me a great surface upon which to hang stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Caspar Hauser
11-26-2009, 5:57 PM
And YES, it is TooBad there is not a *crank-out-your-own* Pellet or PrestoLog machine which would turn our waste into usable stove fodder. Plastic bags of sawdust do not burn well at all until the wood stove is Roaring! With high compression, a 55 gal. drum of shavings might make only a few nifty compact @HomeLogs!

http://www.pelletpros.com/id68.html

is this the kind of thing?

CH

Jason White
11-26-2009, 9:30 PM
That's on my "winter project" list! ;)

Jason

Jason, have you considered insulating the shop? I noticed the exposed studs...must be letting a lot of heat from the new stove to escape. I insulated my shop then covered the studs with 3/4" plywood rather than drywall which gives me a great surface upon which to hang stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving!

David Prince
11-26-2009, 11:46 PM
How about Central Air for the summer heat???

Jason White
11-27-2009, 8:04 AM
Maybe in another 5 years! ;)

How about Central Air for the summer heat???

Brian W Evans
11-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Q though.. In designs like that, how hot does the outside get? I'd considered one for the house several times, but with a 4yo running around I worry about them.

Scott, I have three woodstoves and a four year old. I haven't had any problems and we use the stoves daily for several months out of the year. You can buy sections of metal gate (my stove dealer had them, as did amazon) that block off the stove from the rest of the room. We used these when my son was toddling, but now we just make sure he's aware that the stoves are hot. He is quite capable of keeping a safe distance.

On a related note, one of my woodstoves is in my standalone shop. I surrounded it with about 1k pounds of concrete blocks, to improve fire safety, but also to help retain heat. At the end of a day, that concrete radiates heat for hours and keeps the shop warm for glue-ups, curing finishes, etc. overnight.

Jason White
11-27-2009, 6:52 PM
Pellet stoves stay much cooler to the touch than regular wood stoves.

Also, smaller clearance to combustible requirements (inches instead of feet).

Jason

Scott, I have three woodstoves and a four year old. I haven't had any problems and we use the stoves daily for several months out of the year. You can buy sections of metal gate (my stove dealer had them, as did amazon) that block off the stove from the rest of the room. We used these when my son was toddling, but now we just make sure he's aware that the stoves are hot. He is quite capable of keeping a safe distance.

On a related note, one of my woodstoves is in my standalone shop. I surrounded it with about 1k pounds of concrete blocks, to improve fire safety, but also to help retain heat. At the end of a day, that concrete radiates heat for hours and keeps the shop warm for glue-ups, curing finishes, etc. overnight.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-27-2009, 7:06 PM
Does it strictly burn pellets or can you still "warm yourself by the fire of your mistakes".
fmr

Jason White
11-27-2009, 8:22 PM
Pellets only.

I do have a wood-burning fireplace in the house for my "mistakes," though. :o

Does it strictly burn pellets or can you still "warm yourself by the fire of your mistakes".
fmr

Gary Gleave
11-27-2009, 8:51 PM
http://www.pelletpros.com/id68.html

is this the kind of thing?

CH

WOW, is that ever expensive. Is it not just saw dust and a binder compressed? Just get a couple of rabbits, you will have all the pellets you could want.

James Arvanetakis
01-03-2010, 7:56 PM
Jason,

Bet you're giving that stove a workout now! :D

Progress report?

Jason White
01-03-2010, 8:03 PM
Works great!

However, I have to run it full blast for 3-4 hours in the morning to get it warm enough to work in there. I'm currently in the process of insulating the walls & ceiling, so I expect things will be a lot more comfortable in there very soon.

Jason

Jason,

Bet you're giving that stove a workout now! :D

Progress report?

Maurice Ungaro
01-03-2010, 8:07 PM
Jason,
Consider the spray-foam insulation. It's REAL efficient. Cost more than batting, but does a better job (around R-35).

Michael Wetzel
01-03-2010, 8:26 PM
Works great!

However, I have to run it full blast for 3-4 hours in the morning to get it warm enough to work in there. I'm currently in the process of insulating the walls & ceiling, so I expect things will be a lot more comfortable in there very soon.

My pellet stoves takes awhile to warm up my shop and everything is insulated. It takes forever to warm the concrete floor...