PDA

View Full Version : Which Workbench Book?

David B Thornton
11-24-2009, 4:19 PM
I'm in the research phase of how I want to build my workbench and figured that it would be best if I pick up a book on them to get further insight. I've nailed it down to three following books, but if you also have any suggestions on which book I should pick up first, let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/Workbench-Complete-Guide-Creating-Perfect/dp/1561585947/ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Workbench-Book-Craftsmans-Workbenches-Woodworking/dp/1561582700/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Workbenches-Design-Construction-Popular-Woodworking/dp/1558708405/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a

Thanks in advance.

Jerome Hanby
11-24-2009, 4:26 PM
I'd say get all three and add Sam Allen's book :http://www.amazon.com/Making-Workbenches-Planning-Building-Outfitting/dp/1402741936/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Maybe buy them used from the Amazon associates if you don't want to spend all that money. I'm sure the SMC masses will be screaming sacrilege, but I find the Chris Schwarz book the least useful of the four books. But, keep in mind that his book is very useful, so take that comment as high praise of the other three not a slam on his book. On the other hand, if you are wanting to build a copy of one of his two benches, then his would be the best<eg>

If you have to pick one, I'd head down to your local library and look through any copies that they have.

Sean Hughto
11-24-2009, 4:34 PM
I have the Landis book and read it over carefully when I set about to build my own bench. It was invaluable. I ended up making a variation of the Fortune/Nelson bench described in the book. I haven't used the other two, so they may be great as well, but for what ti's worth, you can't go wrong with the Landis Workbench Book.

Mike Hollingsworth
11-24-2009, 4:38 PM
Landis book is a classic

Matt Meiser
11-24-2009, 4:43 PM
Yes. :D

I've read the Landis book piecemeal probably 10 times. The Schwarz book cover to cover. And perused the Schliening book more than once at Borders/B&N. IMHO, the more examples you see the better to plan your own.

Matt Winterowd
11-24-2009, 5:18 PM
I've got all three, and I have to say I got valuable bits out of each one. I still go back and review specific points in each of them from time to time. I'd say that Schwarz has the most practical breakdown and review of each component of the bench, but obviously not much breadth in terms of overall design choices. Landis and Schleining are both more like surveys of all the various designs one could take from. I'd say that Schwarz plus one of the other two is your best best. Or all three. :)

David B Thornton
11-24-2009, 5:57 PM
Thanks for the quick input everybody! I guess i just have no other option than to buy all of them. :D I've got a few other books to purchase at the same time too, so I may have to spread them out a bit.

Matt Stiegler
11-24-2009, 6:24 PM
I liked the Landis book but I loved the Schwarz book, which I think might be the single most helpful woodworking book out of the couple dozen I've read. YMMV.

Dave Lehnert
11-24-2009, 8:31 PM
I liked the Landis book but I loved the Schwarz book, which I think might be the single most helpful woodworking book out of the couple dozen I've read. YMMV.

What he said

paul cottingham
11-24-2009, 8:54 PM
two words; Schwarz and Landis

Rob Diz
11-24-2009, 9:28 PM
schwarz is the Man. I bought the book, built the bench and have no regrets. I still pick up my book and periodically see ways to use the bench I had not recalled.

worth every penny IMHO.

paul cottingham
11-24-2009, 9:42 PM
The Schwarz is worth reading if for no other reason than he writes really well, and the book is a very fun and interesting read.

Jon Toebbe
11-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Use the Schwarz, Lonestar! :D Or do what I did, and use your local public library to "try before you buy." My county didn't have all of them, but interlibrary loan is a beautiful thing.

Between all the requests for woodworking books and nuclear physics textbooks, I'm sure the librarians have started a pool guessing what I'm building in my garage... :eek:

Scott Vincent
11-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Schwarz, he gives so much info on how benches and their accessories are used. I have and like Landis' too.

Ken Garlock
11-25-2009, 2:06 PM
Hello David.

When I built my bench over a year ago, I bought 4 books, Sam Allen, Scott Landis, Lon Schleining and Chris Schwarz. Of the four, I concluded that only two were really worth the money spent, Lon Schleining does a good job and toward the end walks you through the building of a bench. Chris Schwarz does an excellent job of walking the reader through the history features of the English and French benches, along with bench cut-lists for each type.

Schwarz is number one, and Schleining is a good second. Read a professional (writer and woodworker) review of Chris Schwarz book here (http://www.woodcentral.com/books/schwarz_workbenches.html).

Wayne Cannon
11-25-2009, 6:34 PM
Schwarz' book is definitely my preference for an understanding of the tradeoffs in bench design. He invites you to challenge the features, materials, construction details, and accessory use for any bench; and he helps you through the process of deciding what's important for your bench and why. In particular, he challenges the design of the popular Scandanavian-derived benches and provides a lot of detail for why he prefers the French and English designs, and why you might also.

Schwarz' biggest deviation from the other books is his emphasis on having the front edge and legs in the same plane for more clamping options, and his preference for the leg vise over the more traditional front vises.

The other books (Schleining, Landis, and Allen) are great idea books, with detailed information primarily focused toward variants of Scandanavian benches.

All have some construction details for a bench or two, and all have lots of information about vises and accessories; but Schwarz provides significantly more construction details, if that matters to you.