PDA

View Full Version : Information needed about Scroll Saws

Tom Lewis
11-24-2009, 3:15 PM
I am thinking about getting a scroll saw. What features should I look for, and what brands and models would you recomend?

John Terefenko
11-24-2009, 3:33 PM
I am thinking about getting a scroll saw. What features should I look for, and what brands and models would you recomend?

Tom

I do not want to sound evasive but to save some typying just type in scrollsaws in the search feature here and you will see a bunch of posts about scrollsaw and in one of them I know I broke it down by cost and features. You may not get alot of answers here so this will get you started in the right direction. Good luck and welcome to the fun world of scrolling. I have been scrolling for over 25 years and still do not tire of it.

Bob Borzelleri
11-24-2009, 3:55 PM
In my view, there are three classes of scroll saw decision. One is cheap and generally smaller (16" or so) and for quality and performance, you get what you pay for.

Another is expensive and yes, while you get what you pay for, you will pay a lot >$1,000. The third is Dewalt DW788 where you still get what you pay for but the difference between the Dewalt and the cheapies is significant while the difference between the Dewalt and the expensive saws, while appreciable, is not anywhere near as far off as the price differential might suggest. IOn fact, the Dewalt used to be made by one of the "elite" scroll saw manufacturers for Dewalt; don't know if this is still the case.

If you are planning on using a saw infrequently, the less expensive models might work well. If you plan on using a scroll saw regularly or want to refine your technique, I would avoid the <$300 saws.

The Dewalt can be had with stand and light for near $500 or so depending on how hard you search. I just checked and Grizzly has the combo for $449.00 plus $20 shipping.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/DW788-7880-7881-20-Scroll-Saw-W-Stand-And-Light/H7414

I have never regretted buying a Dewalt.

...Bob

glenn bradley
11-24-2009, 4:19 PM
I just finished going through this. Grizzly's every day price on the DW788 is better than most others sale prices. I found everything to choose from for under about $750 to have issues or compromises I didn't want to pay for, except the DeWalt. It has proven to have survived it's manufacturing shift from Canada to the east without issue as far as I can tell to date.

The table did arrive with a casting flaw that is incidental but, a new table is on the way. I would never have noticed the flaw in practice but, I am on a one-man crusade to send a message to the manufacturers; "we will not accept poor QA in your effort to control costs".

I have never been a big fan of the nickle test but you can start and stop the machine, increase and decrease the speed, all without knocking the poor little nickle over. It will start to move around a bit at the highest speed but it doesn't fall over. I have been told by other owners via the forums that this is about what they experience. At all but the highest speeds it is very smooth. It was a cinch to assemble and was pretty much dead on out of the box. All for under $470 delivered; hard to beat.

Lori Kleinberg
11-24-2009, 4:38 PM
Another happy DW788 owner, in fact I have 2 of them. I believe the most important consideration is vibration or more to the point, lack of vibration.

mark kosse
11-24-2009, 4:46 PM
Wow, Bob described it beautifully. For the money, a 788. It's not 7th grader proof, but a good saw. Have I ever mentioned I teach ms wood shop? :)

Mark Patoka
11-24-2009, 4:49 PM
Pretty much what has been previously stated, DW788 or pay much more for higher end or less for lower end. Picked up my DeWalt 7 years ago and at the time Delta was trying to make comparable and entry level models. Don't know if they still do but the DeWalt easily beat them out and I'm pleased with mine.

Dave Lehnert
11-24-2009, 5:51 PM
1+ for the DeWalt.

One feature that is nice on the DeWalt. The upper arm tilts up so you can top feed your blade through a small hole doing fret work or such. On most other saws you have to bottom feed the blade. Stop and think how much easier it would be to feed the blade from the top of your work rather than having to bend over and look under the board to find the hole to feed the blade through.

Here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCC5YD7d4TA&NR=1

Paul Stroik
11-24-2009, 8:02 PM
My recommendation would be to get the best you can afford which include the features you want now.

The Dewalt788 is a good machine for the price. I have the EX-21. Great machine. I used to own a Hegner 18" (9 years) but the features of the EX-21 sold me on it. The features I looked for and found in the EX-21 were tool-less blade change, top feeding (you can also bottom feed), arm tilt for bevel cutting which leaves the table flat and easier to control the work piece, up front controls (speed, tensioning, on/off switch - I have the foot control).

Both of these machines are in the price range of $500-$750. Try out as many machines as you can. Hands on is the best way to determine what feels good to you. How the different features play a part in what you are going to be using the SS for.

Dave Lehnert
11-24-2009, 8:24 PM
Just got a sale ad from Rockler. Thanksgiving sale Nov 17 to Dec 4th.
The DeWalt saw with stand and light $449 PLUS... A $50 Rockler gift card.

Tom Lewis
11-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone, that's been a great help.

Michael Greenberg
11-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Just one last comment-
there is a spring attachment that holds the upper arm of the dw788 up and out of the way when making blade changes- I can't remember the name and I'm traveling but i will send it along next week unless someone else chimes in with the name of it.
Its been on my 788 for a few years and definitely helps the convenience factor when doing fretwork (lots of blade releases)
Also, if you're just starting out in scrolling, check out this blog:
http://www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/
The guy's name is Steve Good, and he is a definite treasure trove of information, including terrific videos. If you go to You Tube and put in Steve Good, you'll get dozens of great projects and instructional videos.

Richard Jones
11-25-2009, 3:54 AM
788, a foot switch, and this: http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/Easy_Lift_System_P4149C115.cfm

I find any light works better if NOT attached to the saw.

Have fun.

Rich

Dave Lehnert
11-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Just one last comment-
there is a spring attachment that holds the upper arm of the dw788 up and out of the way when making blade changes- I can't remember the name and I'm traveling but i will send it along next week unless someone else chimes in with the name of it.
Its been on my 788 for a few years and definitely helps the convenience factor when doing fretwork (lots of blade releases)
Also, if you're just starting out in scrolling, check out this blog:
http://www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/
The guy's name is Steve Good, and he is a definite treasure trove of information, including terrific videos. If you go to You Tube and put in Steve Good, you'll get dozens of great projects and instructional videos.

The product you are talking about is from Jim Dandy products. I purchased one from Woodcraft. Did not like it and took it off. Yes, it keeps the arm up but then I found it a pain to have to push it back down. I just let gravity help me with that. Everyone has their favorite way to do things. I once had a chance to ask DeWalt why they did not put that device on the saw because it is popular. The saw they had on display they just simply tightened down the bolt that the upper arm pivots on. Did the same thing as the JD product and cost nothing.

http://www.jimdandy.com/images/pr_elift.gif

Ron Bott
11-25-2009, 11:30 AM
As others have mentioned, the DeWalt 788 is a good choice for a beginner. Anything below that is questionable. If you find you you like scrolling and use it alot, there are several models to move up to, and you will notice a difference. I recently upgraded to the Eclipse scroll saw (www.eclipsesaw.com), after using a DeWalt for a few years. The Eclipse is a big jump in performance (and price also!), but I do some high-end marquetry, so the cost is justifiable to me.

Richard Jones
11-25-2009, 10:11 PM
The product you are talking about is from Jim Dandy products. I purchased one from Woodcraft. Did not like it and took it off. Yes, it keeps the arm up but then I found it a pain to have to push it back down. I just let gravity help me with that. Everyone has their favorite way to do things. I once had a chance to ask DeWalt why they did not put that device on the saw because it is popular. The saw they had on display they just simply tightened down the bolt that the upper arm pivots on. Did the same thing as the JD product and cost nothing.

http://www.jimdandy.com/images/pr_elift.gif

If they tightened the bolt (which I find odd for factory reps to do), did gravity still work? Wouldn't that wear the pivot faster?

After using my saw with and without, I prefer with way over without. It's no trouble to push the arm back down, you get in a habit of doing it when you saw a lot. I found it much slower/harder to change/feed blades without than with it.

"Everyone has their favorite way to do things."

That's what makes it go 'round, eh?

Rich (bottom feeder and proud of it) in VA