PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A source for wood!

Carole Valentine
10-02-2004, 9:28 PM
Found a Good Ole Boy today that saws just cause he likes to be out there. Bought 70 BF of 5/4+ black walnut at $1.00 a BF. My friend bought the rest (another 70 bf.) Boards are straight and range from 7" to 14" in width and 6' to 8' in length with no sap wood. Been stickered for a year outside so I will have to let it dry some more inside. He threw in a 6/4 heart cherry board (8"x8') for good measure. Started raining so we left it in the truck in my friend's shed while I came home and made stickers, but we did run a piece of the walnut thru the planer and it is some pretty wood! This guy cuts walnut, cherry, pecan, oak and poplar to specs. If I take it green, it's .75 bf, unless I want it quarter sawn. Then, he said " It's right-on higher...'bout 50 to 75 cent more a foot. Got to roll them logs all round to quarter saw. Course that pee-can I'm fixin' to cut, now that's so dadburn big I 'bout got to quarter saw that." All in all, it was an interesting morning! Wish I had more storage space.

John Miliunas
10-02-2004, 9:36 PM
Yeah, I wish I had more space, too. But before that, I wish *I* had a Good Ole Boy like that around here! :D Great pricing! So much so that it qualifies as a GLOAT!!!!! :eek: Where's the pics?! We NEED pics! :D (Congrats, Carole! Truly a great find!) :cool:

Carole Valentine
10-02-2004, 9:40 PM
Pics when I get it back here to the house...probably tomorrow.

Jim Becker
10-02-2004, 9:55 PM
Nice, Carole. And I'm a believer in picking up up nice wood when you have the opportunity and the means. Worse case, you can sell it to someone else for as much, if not more than you paid for it and best case, you'll always have material for that special project. I deal with a local guy who also does it because he just plain enjoys it...for 45 years now. Prices are right and the material is sweet. Fred Voorhees turned me on to this fellow a couple years ago and now I only go to the "expensive places" when I need something unusual or hightly figured.

Chuck Fischer
10-02-2004, 11:47 PM
anyone know of a good ol boy somewhere in northern IL?

Chuck

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-03-2004, 12:02 AM
How north in northern Illinois are ya Chuck? I live in what is considered southern Illinois.............but there is a LOT of south south of me! Does that make any sense? :D

Terry Quiram
10-03-2004, 8:45 AM
Chuck

You might try the guys at Kirkland. You won't fine $1 a bd ft but they have pretty good prices. Its a couple hour drive for me so I don't stop unless I am coming home from a business trip.

Terry

Marvin Keys
10-04-2004, 9:34 AM
Do you have any more information on the "guys at Kirkland". I am always looking for a place to get lumber other than at the borg. Kirkland doesn't appear to be too farm from me.

Jerry Olexa
10-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Agree. Would love to have a good source like that here in N. Illinois or within reasonable driving distance. Im all ears...

Chuck Fischer
10-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Well I live in South Elgin which is just west of chicago about 45 miles from the lake.

For me anything south of 88 is southern Illinois... anything west of Rochelle is Iowa.

I've driven past the place in Kirkland, but I haven't been there yet. What do they usually stock, just domestics? That would be fine for me, I rarely use exotic stuff.

Thanks for all the replys everyone. This site is awesome! I didn't expect anyone to respond. Awesome!

Chuck

James Carmichael
10-04-2004, 1:12 PM
Congrats on your find, Carole. $1 PBF for 5/4 Walnut is incredible, green with envy down here in TX!

nic obie
10-04-2004, 1:52 PM
Good going Carole. Treat the guy right, bring him cookies or maybe a pint of good whiskey next time you see him. Keep him happy ;)

About the only thing I hate about living in central coastal CA is that there are no local wood mills. We have to pay an arm and a leg for our wood.