PDA

View Full Version : Amphorae

Mike Golka
11-23-2009, 11:49 PM
This is my latest segmented effort, styled after a Greek amphorae. It is a proto type design for the feature ring that I need to tweek the jigs used to make it. Woods are maple, bloodwood, and of course cherry. 14" high by 8" dia. Finish is spay lacquer. Comments and critiques welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Very impressive! Classic form! Wonderful colors and your feature ring is great! Very nice work on this one!

Sid Matheny
11-24-2009, 12:05 AM
WOW what a beauty!!!

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2009, 12:27 AM
That is a beauty Mike. Really like the classic form.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Mike,

Nicely done! I like everything about it.

David Walser
11-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Mike,

You said that was a prototype? (!) Most of us would be proud to say we'd turned such a nice piece. Can't wait to see the "real thing"!

gary Zimmel
11-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Very, very nice Mike!

Jeff Nicol
11-24-2009, 5:24 AM
Mike, My brain hurts just looking at all the pieces and the beautiful work you put into this one! I think I would have little pieces of gluey,messy wood stuck all over my shop! I am sure frustration would have gotten the best of me!

Great piece,

Jeff

David E Keller
11-24-2009, 8:23 AM
Absolutely beautiful. I love the woods used. I wouldn't change a thing.

Quinn McCarthy
11-24-2009, 8:46 AM
Awesome shape Mike. Just love it.

Was most of the feature ring done with a forstner bit?

Quinn

Kenneth Whiting
11-24-2009, 8:47 AM
WOW! That's great.

Richard Madison
11-24-2009, 4:11 PM
That's a fine looking piece Mike. Am also curious how you get clean, tight joints at the various circular places.

Mike Golka
11-24-2009, 4:51 PM
Thank you all for your very kind words. I used a series of jigs with forstner bits along with a few other tricks and tools to create the feature ring.

Richard Madison
11-24-2009, 8:51 PM
Mike, it's those "few other tricks" we want to know about!

Mike Golka
11-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Mike, it's those "few other tricks" we want to know about!

OK, so I started off with a square peice of darker wood and drilled a hole in the center. I then made a jig to hold that via a peg for the centered hole and at the drill press set up to drill the holes in each corner of the square turning the block 90 degrees after each hole. I made face grain plugs of lighter wood to fit the 4 outer holes and glued them in. Another jig to hold the squares with the plugs and machine a plug out of that. Fill the center hole with a light colored plug. Lastly drill hole in each segment to accomodate the larger plug. Hope that helps. I can post pics of the jigs if any one wants.

Ryan Baker
11-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Beautiful work, Mike. That's quite a piece for a prototype. The feature ring is great -- very original.

Richard Madison
11-25-2009, 12:21 AM
made face grain plugs of lighter wood to fit the 4 outer holes

Mike I apologize. Should have made my question more clear and more specific. The part about drilling and jigs is obvious by inspection. What I should have asked is how did you make the round plugs to precisely fit the forstner holes? A few thou. too big and they split the matrix, and a few thou. too small makes a poor quality joint. Maybe should have PM'd you about this. Sorry to be a pest.

Mike Golka
11-25-2009, 9:35 AM
Richard, no problem. I made a jig to hold a router so the bit center is held at the same vertical center as the spindle of my lathe. With a stop block installed on the horizontal axis to limit the travel one can produce consistant dial plugs with little effort. The setup is very similar to the cross slide of a metal lathe but much cruder. If I have time tonight I'll post pictures of the setup. The router jig is useful for a veriaty of things from fluting to plug making. As I said at the start of the post this was a proto-type idea and the jigs have plenty of room for improvement.

Steve Mawson
11-25-2009, 10:42 AM
GREAT, Looking forward to the pictures of the jig setup as well.

Richard Madison
11-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks Mike. That's exactly what I wanted to know. On a good day I can turn something within ten thou. or a little less, but would be hard pressed to get within one or two thou. consistently. Looking forward to seeing your jig.

Don Orr
11-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Wonderful Mike ! Love that classic form.

Ryan Baker
11-25-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing your jig too. I was actually thinking of something very similar this afternoon (for a completely different purpose).