PDA

View Full Version : Sanding and sealing

Jim Colombo
11-23-2009, 9:31 PM
Two questions:
First, any good tips on removing the sanding that fill the pores of the wood? I don't have compressed air and the tack clothes I bought leave a residue on the wood.
Second, has anyone used Zinsser Seal Coat on cocobolo? One coat or two? I know I have to wipe of the work with acetone first. Planning on a matte finish after sealing.

Wally Dickerman
11-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Shop-vac with a brush

Wally

charlie knighton
11-23-2009, 10:34 PM
good question, good answer, thanks to both of you :D

Allen Neighbors
11-24-2009, 8:11 PM
Jim, my wife has a cocobolo hollowform on the mantel. I finished it in March '06. All I did to it was sand it, blow it off with an air gun, and apply a Lacquer finish. The finish has never changed, that we can tell, other than getting a slight bit darker with age.
I've heard about wiping with acetone since then, and do that, now, but that one worked without it.
Just thought I'd throw that in. :)
I've never used the Zinser Sealer, so I can't comment on it... it may be really good stuff.
When sanding the outside of any piece on the lathe, after I get things down to 320 grit, I usually wet it with a coat of Lacquer Wash (35%Lac/65%thin). Spin it dry with an old t-shirt, then sand again, beginning with 200, then go on to 320 then 400. The wash makes a good sealer, and after re-sanding like I do, if I decide to use Danish Oil, it will still take a nice finish with it.