PDA

View Full Version : Antique tools in NH?

Jake Helmboldt
11-23-2009, 9:19 PM
Is anyone familiar with the many antique stores in Northwood, NH or nearby? I'm looking for hand tools, primarily chisels and was wondering if any of the many shops there would typically have any. There are so many shops there in Northwood that I can't stop at all of them in the hopes of finding tools.

Heading from Concord, NH to Rockport, ME so any other good places to look for chisels or planes?

thanks, Jake

Dave Anderson NH
11-24-2009, 7:24 AM
It's very hit or miss Jake. There used to be "the old parson's barn" on Rte 4, but I don't know if they are even still there. If you can make a side trip of about 25 minutes south on Rte 125 to Kingston NH, there is the New Boston Tool Room run by Phil Whitby a long time tool dealer and collector. Personally, I stay away since it's only 15 minutes from my house and every time I go there it costs me. Phil is not cheap, but fair and reasonable and his tuff is guaranteed. www.newbtr.com (http://www.newbtr.com) You must call for an appointment because he isn't always there.

No commercial affiliation, just a satisifed though poorer customer.

Matthew Dworman
11-24-2009, 8:56 AM
It's very hit or miss Jake. There used to be "the old parson's barn" on Rte 4, but I don't know if they are even still there. If you can make a side trip of about 25 minutes south on Rte 125 to Kingston NH, there is the New Boston Tool Room run by Phil Whitby a long time tool dealer and collector. Personally, I stay away since it's only 15 minutes from my house and every time I go there it costs me. Phil is not cheap, but fair and reasonable and his tuff is guaranteed. www.newbtr.com (http://www.newbtr.com) You must call for an appointment because he isn't always there.

No commercial affiliation, just a satisifed though poorer customer.

+1 !!

I think his hours are Fridays and Saturdays and by chance or appointment - amazing selection - he has literally anything you can think of. Never any super deals, but always a fair price...

It is worth going even just to browse and consider it a museum visit.

Jake Helmboldt
11-24-2009, 7:39 PM
Thanks guys! I'll see if I can convince the others in the car of the need to deviate from the route. Otherwise I may need to run up to Liberty once we are up in ME, though last time I was there it was a bit of a bust in terms of chisel selection.

At least your recommendations are close by. I'm already poorer after buying numerous pairs of shoes for the wife and kids today, and since it is my birthday I think I can warrant spending a little on old tools, especially since I'll be foregoing my stop at Lie Nielesen this year.:mad:

Happy holidays to all.

JH