PDA

View Full Version : My first Segmented Bowl

Bill Bulloch
11-23-2009, 8:02 PM
This is my first segmented bowl. It is 6.25 inches wide and 3.5 inches high. Made from Red Oak, Hard Maple and Purpleheart with Black and Red vernier. It has 113 pieces. It was fun; took me all weekend to make. Turned out pretty good (I think), except the top ring sort of slipped during glue up, it should be centered with the Hard Maple ring.

Learned a lot, especially that the Miter Saw is too aggressive for such small pieces.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2009, 8:08 PM
That is a pretty piece. I really like the rim on it. Well done.

Steve Mawson
11-23-2009, 8:10 PM
Nice bowl, like the way you did the bottom. How hard was working with open grain oak and the other woods?

Kenneth Whiting
11-23-2009, 8:11 PM
That's a nice piece. The segmented work is still way outside of my reach so I really enjoy seeing them done.

Bill Bulloch
11-23-2009, 9:41 PM
Nice bowl, like the way you did the bottom. How hard was working with open grain oak and the other woods?

It turned real well. Borh the Red Oak and Hard Maple were kiln dried, but sharp tools and light strokes made it relatively easy -- no tear out. I put a sanding sealer on it, as I always do open grain wood and then Teak Oil. I'll wait a few days and then apply several coats of wipe-on polly.

Richard Madison
11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
That's a good start Bill. Suggest you date and save it for comparison as your work progresses. Some of my early work was pretty good and some was pretty awful. Work to perfect the basics of good tight joints and good alignment before you try a bunch of fancy patterns.

Jim Kountz
11-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Wow first seggy?? Nice job and you got mad photo skills too!!

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Congrats on completing your first segmented bowl! I've yet to try one of those but give everyone high marks for their patience and attention to details! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Mike Golka
11-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Your off to good start. I agree with Richard, it's important to get the basics down before moving on to the more complicated designs. Be careful of large one peice bases too, 3-4" in dia. is about the max. Onward and upward, your doing great.

Dennis Puskar
11-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Very nice well done.

Dennis

Robert McGowen
11-24-2009, 1:18 AM
The first one is usually the hardest one. It takes a certain amount of skill just to try this. I am missing some pieces when I look at it though, I only see 109 pieces? :eek::)

Jeff Nicol
11-24-2009, 5:21 AM
I am on the same page as Steve is on the segmenting, not tried it yet and my patience is sometimes a little short! Great job for a first try!

Jeff

Bill Bulloch
11-24-2009, 8:55 AM
The first one is usually the hardest one. It takes a certain amount of skill just to try this. I am missing some pieces when I look at it though, I only see 109 pieces? :eek::)

Ofcourse you are right.....Wonder where I got those other four pieces from? I guess I need to add math to the skills I need to strive to improve. Good Eye.

Malcolm Tibbetts
11-24-2009, 8:10 PM
Bill, congratulations on your first. If you're looking for inspiration, you might check out the new Segmented Woodturners site at:
www.segmentedwoodturners.org (http://www.segmentedwoodturners.org)
Segmenting can be a very deep vortex; deeper even than "chunk wood" :) turning. Have fun.

Bill Bulloch
11-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Bill, congratulations on your first. If you're looking for inspiration, you might check out the new Segmented Woodturners site at:
www.segmentedwoodturners.org (http://www.segmentedwoodturners.org)
Segmenting can be a very deep vortex; deeper even than "chunk wood" :) turning. Have fun.

Thanks Malcolm I'll check it out. By-the-way I ordered your Book yesterday from Amazon and understand I might be getting one of your DVDs for Christmans; maybe all three, if I'm lucky.