PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Band Saw

Steve Nelson
03-27-2003, 10:02 AM
I have a chance to purchase a 1985 model 12" craftsman Band saw and would like to get others thoughts on this saw.Anyone have one?Have had one? also what would be a fair price?Any help or advice woud be greatly appreciated. This is not meant to be my last purchase of a band saw but thought it would help to learn the nuances of them and what not to do on them as well as what you can do on them, I'm new at woodworking so be gentle Thanks in advance.Steve

Ron Taylor
03-27-2003, 10:49 AM
My first band saw was a Craftsman. Six months later my second bandsaw was a Craftsman. Six months later my third bandsaw was a Delta. That was in 1988. The Delta is still good as new.

I was doing craft cutouts for my wife for A/C shows, running the saw 6 to 8 hours a day, doing intricate scroll work.

YMMV

Bart Leetch
03-27-2003, 11:40 AM
I have an older Craftsman 12"Band-saw made in the 50's it is now needing tires but is still a great little saw. I also have a Grizzly G1019 with riser block & a 1 1/2 hp motor that I use for re-sawing & cutting bowl blanks & other large projects. I use the Craftsman saw more the the bigger 14" saw. But it sure is nice to have a smaller saw with the narrow blade on it for turning tight curves & the bigger saw for big work. I never have to change a blade until it gets dull.

Herb Blair
03-27-2003, 2:24 PM
I had a Craftsman 12" Saw about the same model as you describe. I sold it 3 years ago and bought a Jet.
If you put in Cool blocks and a quality blade (Highland Hardware Woodslicer ) and don't overload it will give you fair service.
I think I sold mine for about $150.

Herb
Carrollton, TX

Steve Nelson
03-27-2003, 2:31 PM
Thanks for the response from all, Thanks herb that gives me more along the lines I was seeking,I can buy it for 75.00 with manual and guy says it has original blade.Maybe little used. Steve

Mark Kauder
03-27-2003, 2:34 PM
I have a 15 yr old Craftsman 12" BS, like the two that Ron Taylor burnt out (he told me when he visited my shop the other day). I paid $100 for it last year. I spent $40 for a new set of Orange Poly tires, $15 for Cool Blocks, and bought some Timberwolf blades for it. I have been very happy with it. But I have only used it for an average of about an hour a week. I have cut two dozen of bandsawn boxes, and cut tens of bowl blanks with it.

It has it's limits. If you budget is limited, it will work fine. If you have the money, and the need, a Delta, Jet or the new Grizzly 14" are better.

If you can get it for around $100, it is a good deal.

Mark