PDA

View Full Version : delta 46-460midi or Jet JWL-1220VS

Jay Jagerson
11-23-2009, 3:58 PM
After reading everything I can find here I'm leaning now more towards a smaller lathe.

My first thougt was a JET JWL-1220VS then I was reading about the Delta 46-460 midi lathe.

Now I'm not sure what is the best bang for the buck.

They have the same starting price but Jet has the %15 thing going on so that brings down the difference to Jet being cheaper by $90. If the delta would be a better lathe I can wait to see if they toss them on sale or something to!

Would I be correct that having reverse is a big selling point? If thats the case then the Delta may be the winner.

The Jet has a light, the Jet is #125 and the Delta is #97 pounds so does that mean the Jet is better built?

I did a search here and some we saying the the Delta was a nice machine but they seemed to compare it to the non VS version of the Jet 1220 non VS.

Thanks again from the newbie.

Jay

Rick Hutcheson
11-23-2009, 4:23 PM
I don't think you can go wrong withthe new Delta. I have turned a lot of projects on it and I am sure impressed. Did a class a couple weeks ago and used the Jet mini, not sure what model it was, but I sure noticed a difference. The Delta definately has more power.
If you would like to see what the Delta did for me here are pictures of many of the things I have turned on it.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/deltaVSlathe.htm This is a large page and takes a minute to load.
I also have the Delta belt drive lathe and a Jet 1642, but lately I enjoy turning more on the Delta 46-460 than the other two lathes.

Jim Slovik
11-23-2009, 4:28 PM
I have a Jet 1220 and enjoy it very much. But to be honest, after reading about the Delta, had it been available when I bought the Jet I probably would have gone for the Delta. Don't put too much of a premium on the Jet light. The neck is way too short which makes it just about useless.
Either way you go, have fun!!

Jay Jagerson
11-23-2009, 4:41 PM
I don't think you can go wrong withthe new Delta. I have turned a lot of projects on it and I am sure impressed. Did a class a couple weeks ago and used the Jet mini, not sure what model it was, but I sure noticed a difference. The Delta definately has more power.
If you would like to see what the Delta did for me here are pictures of many of the things I have turned on it.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/deltaVSlathe.htm This is a large page and takes a minute to load.
I also have the Delta belt drive lathe and a Jet 1642, but lately I enjoy turning more on the Delta 46-460 than the other two lathes.

Man you are very busy, holy cow. Looks great. Thanks for the input.

Jay Jagerson
11-23-2009, 4:43 PM
I have a Jet 1220 and enjoy it very much. But to be honest, after reading about the Delta, had it been available when I bought the Jet I probably would have gone for the Delta. Don't put too much of a premium on the Jet light. The neck is way too short which makes it just about useless.
Either way you go, have fun!!

I will dig around a little, there has to be some kind of deal comming up on the delta with in the next month I would think.

Harvey M. Taylor
11-23-2009, 5:24 PM
Checked about a month ago and Tool-nut had the Delta for 519.00 got mine at Rockler 2 wks. ago for 509.00 but the sale has gone bye bye now.Cant go wrong with the Delta. Max

Steve Mawson
11-23-2009, 8:07 PM
Had the Delta for 8 weeks or so. Plenty of power and a nice running lathe. Had a Jet mini and the Delta impressed me with the finish and the way it looked. Suspect customer service to be about equal but for my money I would stick with the Delta. Think I paid about 530.00, shipping included.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2009, 8:11 PM
I have turned on both. I have the Jet 1220 VS. If the Delta had been out when I bought I would have gotten the Delta. It is smoother, has more power and fit/finish is great.

Jay Jagerson
11-24-2009, 8:16 AM
Thank you everyone,

I think my plan will be to wait for the Delta to go on sale and in the mean time I will keep an eye out on CL for deal on whatever may show up. I have seen some stuff on CL that would have been nice to have but did not really know what I was looking at.

Thanks for all the help in this post and other post that I have started. Looking forward to the point that I can return the favor to some other new person.

Jay

Bill Bulloch
11-24-2009, 6:42 PM
I bought the Delta 46-460 about a month ago. I have never turned on the Jet 1220, but I own the Jet 1014 and Jet 1236. Note that the Jet 1220 has a 3/4 HP Motor where the Delta has a 1 HP Motor. The Delta also has a 12 1/2 inch swing, and that silly little half inch really makes a difference. Because of this, I can turn blanks on the Delta that I can not get on my Jet 1236. The Delta has a reverse. But, what I cannot get over how smooth and quite running the Delta is.

Jay Jagerson
11-24-2009, 7:32 PM
Thanks Bill. I'm going to get the delta I do believe.

Jay

Clint Baxter
11-24-2009, 10:56 PM
I picked up the Delta myself and have been quite happy with it. They ended up giving me a Delta G3 chuck with it as well. Not sure if they're still doing that promotion, and not sure whether it was the retailer doing it or Delta themselves. Might be worth looking into as well.
Good luck. Sure you'll be happy with either of them.

Clint

Jay Jagerson
11-26-2009, 1:36 AM
Talked to the local tool guy today and will be getting the new lathe next Friday. They will hold one for me until then. The lathe will be 10% starting next Friday. Not a lot off but it is something. Will have to see if this flat guy can make something round.

Thanks to all who replied. I plan on staying active here as time goes on.

Happy turkey day to all from Minnesota.

Jay

Rick Flink
11-28-2009, 9:31 PM
Delta, no doubt about it! I love mine!

Rick

Prashun Patel
12-01-2009, 3:06 PM
Jay-
Update? Have you gotten the lathe yet? I'm now leaning towards the 46-460 just as you have. Insight into any deals appreciated.

Shawn

Jay Jagerson
12-01-2009, 4:42 PM
Shawn

I will get mine this Friday, my local ACME tool store has them 10% off this Friday and Saturday. I'm willing to bet other dealers will be doing the same.

Its not a great deal but its somthing.

From everything I read and talking to fokes here the Delta Midi is the way to go if you are looking for a smaller lathe.

I was going to go for the Jet 1642VS but did not really want to spend that much just to see if I'm going to enjoy it.