PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini Lathe 1014

Prashun Patel
11-23-2009, 3:04 PM
I have a chance to pick up a new Jet Mini 1014 for $225. It's the manual belt-changing model - not the VS one.

Is this a decent deal for a 'starter' lathe? I'm really not budgeted for something north of $400. I'm new to turning. If you ask me what I'd like turn, my reply is "yes". To start, I'd like to turn small decorative things like bowls.

I'd like something that can resell relatively easily. Just came across this deal...

Dennis McGarry
11-23-2009, 3:14 PM
I started on the Rikon midi lathe over a year ago, had to sell it and recently bought a used older jet 1014, Aside from the little nuances this one has, It is a great starter lathe.

Plenty of power. Smooth as well. you will be very happy with that one. If it is new even better at that price! I would buy it in a heart beat here.

With that cost, you cant then get your pen making stuff, mandrel, blanks, kits, bits, etc... (a downpayment to a shrink for later)

The votex is strong and you will love every second of it. But the jet 1014 is a very nice lathe..

Dennis

Bill Bulloch
11-23-2009, 3:32 PM
The Jet 1014 is an excellent lathe. I started with a used one (and I mean really used) that I bought for $189.00, so the $225.00 price is a good one. I later bought the Jet 1236. Ended up using the 1014 more than the 1236, because the 1014 was a better lathe. You'll have restructions with it, like bowl and spindle size, and if you are to drill a peppermill on the lathe you'll be restricted to one that is no more that 8". The belt changing is not a real hassel, but to get around it, I seemed to keep mine on the middle belt all the time. I still have mine, but a few months ago I upgraded to the Delta 46-460, and now I use it pretty much exclusively.

You'll be happy with the 1014, at least untill this turning gets in your blood and you have this uncontrollable urge to spend more money on a bigger, better toy.

Mike Minto
11-23-2009, 3:51 PM
shawn, i would think that would be an excellent 'starter' lathe - i have the VS model, and bought it after owning a nova for a couple of years. enjoy and post pics of your turnings!

Steven DeMars
11-23-2009, 4:15 PM
I think Craft Supply offers a VS kit . .. Not sure how much . .

Steve:)