PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a basic cabinet making book (geared for beginners)

Greg L. Brown
11-23-2009, 2:34 PM
Can anyone recommend a good book on how to build cabinets? I’m a hobby woodworker with basic knowledge of woodworking, but I haven’t built any cabinets before. I need to make some simple cabinets for my garage shop (basically just a cabinet case with plexi-glass sliding doors). My next project (that my wife is already bugging me about) is to build some shelves, doors and drawers for a small (6’ X 4’) walk-in closet. Something similar to Closet Maid (http://www.closetmaid.com/main.cfm?classification_id=0) that they sell at Home Depot. However, I need to learn some cabinet making basics before I tackle these jobs so I figured I should get a book. Any recommendations (nothing complex, just the basics)?

Thanks,
Greg

Roger Jensen
11-23-2009, 2:50 PM
I like The Complete Kitchen Cabinet Maker by Robert Lang.

Zach England
11-23-2009, 4:49 PM
I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Illustrated-Furniture-Cabinet-Construction/dp/1561584029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259012927&sr=8-1

scott vroom
11-23-2009, 5:09 PM
+1 for "The Complete Kitchen Cabinet Maker" by Robert Lang. By far the best book among the 5 that I purchased through Amazon. I highly recommend it.

Greg L. Brown
11-23-2009, 5:13 PM
This website and the people on it are invaluable! Thanks for all the helpful replies... it's makes the complex hobby of woodworking much more enjoyable.

-Greg

frank shic
11-23-2009, 6:00 PM
greg, i strongly recommend danny proulx's book on building kitchen cabinets. it's got actual cutlists for both euro style as well as face frame. none of the other books except that terrible one that's in a spiral bound format have this information.

Mac McQuinn
11-23-2009, 7:36 PM
"Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets"/Jim Tolpin. About 14 years old now although holds it's own and a real solid read. It's well layed out, good graphics & I just like how Jim does things. He's the guy in all the pics.

Mac

Tom Clark FL
11-23-2009, 8:59 PM
Check out "Practical Shop Cabinets". It was written by just for all the reasons you mentioned. Just google it. Lots of photos of shop cabinets on the web site.

paul cottingham
11-23-2009, 9:14 PM
Building Kitchen Cabinets by Udo Schmidt is a good read.

sean m. titmas
11-23-2009, 9:33 PM
Danny Proulx has two good books, one about cabinets and the other about doors.

Randal Stevenson
11-23-2009, 11:07 PM
As stated, there are books for Frame and frameless cabinets. I would personally recommend your public library first. You could find a style you like and go from there.

Stephen Edwards
11-24-2009, 6:32 AM
As stated, there are books for Frame and frameless cabinets. I would personally recommend your public library first. You could find a style you like and go from there.

+1 on this idea. You find a book that you like at the library and then buy it. Many libraries, including mine in a very small rural town, will get books for me that they don't have themselves. They're part of some sort of library network or exchange.

This is a cost effective way of building your own personal library, filled with books that you actually like and will find to be useful in your personal woodworking journey.

Mitchell Andrus
11-24-2009, 7:51 AM
+1 for the Tolpin book.

Robert Strebler
11-24-2009, 3:36 PM
I have the Tolpin book as well and think it's fantastic. I haven't read the others, but feel that you can't go wrong with this one.