PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, another lathe question, Craftsmen?

Jay Jagerson
11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I guess I should quit looking at CL adds.

I think I really want a new JET VS lathe, but at $1,700 bucks + all the other stuff you need to get started is a little nuts just to see if I'm going to enjoy it.

So I keep finding these deals on CL and just keep asking here.

Anyway here is the add, I'm not crazy about Craftmen stuff but its cheap! I did a google for this and did not really find to much info. If its not worth a look let me know and I wont bother with it.

I think this about the 3rd lathe I have asked you guys about. One thing I learned from here is to buy the biggest lathe as you can! I see many smaller ones for sale.

Thanks again

Jay

here is the add

"Craftsman Variable Speed Wood Lathe, 38” x 15” spindle, and chisels, and lathe table for sale.

Each item can be purchased seperately, or save more by buying all of them (see priceing below).

See the details for the lathe in the photos

Craftsman Variable Speed Wood Lathe, model # 351.21717
This lathe was assembled and placed on the table in the photo ($99 when it was purchased).
The lathe motor runs, all parts that should move do move. I am not aware of any problems.
It has collected dust, but has not been used for any projects.
I always wanted a wood lathe, bought one, and never used it.
All accessories received in the box with the lathe will go with it.

The pictured 6 piece Craftsman 4-1/2” wood lathe chisel set has not been used
($99 when purchased).

Price I am asking for each item-
Lathe $220
Chisels $70
Lathe Table $ 70
Total = $360

Take all of them for only $330

CASH ONLY "

David Christopher
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Jay, you can get a brand new jet or delta mini for not much more than they are asking for the craftsman, and you would be suprised what you can do on the new mini's...most have a 12" swing and believe it or not most of us dont go over 12" very often....if you do decide that you like turning and want a bigger lathe, you will have a lot better chance selling one of the new mini's before the craftsman.......good luck

Rich Stewart
11-23-2009, 11:18 AM
I agree with David. I have been able to do everything I have wanted to do on my Jet mini. Great little lathe. I got it for 250, got a couple chucks, and some gouges. Been using it for 3 years with no trouble. Bowls, pens, platters, boxes.

Jay Jagerson
11-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I have seen a few of these go by, here is one that aviable today. Is this what you guys are talking about?

I have a very nice Jet Mini lathe and many other tools and accessories. It is in excellent condition and would be a great addition to any wood shop. I used it mainly for turning pens and small bowls. It is in great condition and works perfectly. I am selling the lathe for only $250. I also have a 4 Jaw Talon chuck that is perfect for holding onto small lathe projects. You use the key to tighten the chuck and it generates a pretty substantial amount of clamping force. I will sell that for $125 and it also comes with a set of smaller #1 jaws. I have several Robert Sorbey tools including a ½ inch fingernail bowl gouge, 3/8 bowl gouge, ½ inch round nose scraper, 1/8” parting tool, and 4 micro-tools that are great for turning pens. The larger tools are at least $75 apiece new but I don’t know what they are worth so make me an offer. As you can see I also have a bunch of pen turning accessories. Again I don’t know exactly what they are worth but they would be great for anyone wanting to get into turning pens. There are a couple mandrels, drill bits, copper inserts, and bushings for Mount Blanc, Parker, and 7mm slim line pens. There is also a tool for cleaning up the ends of your pen blanks. New you would expect to pay at least $1000.00, but I would part with all of it for far less. New, the lathe is $370.00, the chuck is 225.00 (plus 43.00 for the extra jaws), and I can’t imagine what I paid for all of the tools and pen turning accessories. I think 550 is a fair price for everything you see. I will also throw in some exotic hardwood blanks for anyone interested in the pen turning tools. All items are for sale individually as well.

Joe Adams
11-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Both Rockler and Woodcraft are taking 15% off Jet & Powermatic tools for Black Friday. If you want to try turning before buying, go to a demo at one of the stores or better yet, one of their freedom pens events.

Jay Jagerson
11-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I think this more of what you guys are talking about.

Jet JWL-1220VS

For a newbie I would think this would be a good starting point.

Jay