PDA

View Full Version : What internet security software?

Charles McKinley
10-02-2004, 5:55 PM
I'm looking for a new computer adn Dell is offering:

15 months of Norton Internet security for $59,

Norton AntiVirus 2004 $50,

Norton SystemWorks 2004 $70.

I'm stuck with dial up service at least until next April.

Do I need one of these packages or is there something better?

Thanks

Rich Konopka
10-02-2004, 7:02 PM
I'm looking for a new computer adn Dell is offering:

15 months of Norton Internet security for $59,

Norton AntiVirus 2004 $50,

Norton SystemWorks 2004 $70.

I'm stuck with dial up service at least until next April.

Do I need one of these packages or is there something better?

Thanks

You definitely need antivirus software and the Norton Internet Security package for $59 does have antivirus with it. You could go for Antivirus by itself for $50. However, There is a gem of a product in Internet Security with the ad blocking program. I have had this for 3 years and it works great.

Here are some coupon codes from techbargains.com

New dell Home Coupons - October 1, 2004
Dell Home has upto 15% off Desktops and notebooks. Free Combo drive upgrade on notebooks. Free 2 day shipping with most PCs. NO tax in many states Exp 10/4

$200 off select online Inspiron Notebook purchases $999+ Coupon Code:
5PTL2NMM1DBLBR Exp Wed 10/4 5:59am CT
$300 off select online Inspiron Notebook purchases $1499+ Coupon Code:
WR97D95CZP4TTM Exp Wed 10/4 5:59am CT
$400 off select online Inspiron Notebook purchases $1999+ Coupon Code:
P$?10ZPPJRSZ2M Exp Wed 10/4 5:59am CT

20% off select online Dimension Desktop purchases $1099+ Coupon Code:
0$KLM8SX7$2TTH Exp Th 10/5 5:59am CT

$30 off Systems $800+ Code: 80B91E57767B Exp 10/31

Steve Clardy
10-02-2004, 7:15 PM
I use Norton System works. Have had for three years now. It is good, plus there is other stuff there that is helpful, a cleaner to clean up unused programs, internet caches, fix windows problems, etc.
Previously I used Macaffee, Pencillion. No good, at least back then.

With Norton I've never had a virus, you set it to update automatically.
You also can go one step farther and get Mailwasher Pro.
With it you can check your mail that is on your server before you download it, and can delete junk mail there. It will show you if theres an attachment with the mail. This is good because most viruses are spread with junk email attachments. If one slips through, Norton will pick it up and let you know.
Steve
Ps. I buy norton on ebay for around 30.00. It comes with disc only, no paperwork, books, carton's. But they are legit copy's with registration codes.
I also use Zonealarm and Adaware. Newest versions just released. Free

Joe Tonich
10-02-2004, 7:26 PM
If your computer now has a Norton product, you can get an upgrade to Internet Security 2005. I think it cost me $39. It has the Anti-Virus and the Firewall. The Firewall is pretty easy to get used to. If you do, I'd spend the $6 so if something happens and you lose it, you get free downloads to get it back. I'm glad I did!

Joe

James Giordano
10-02-2004, 7:51 PM
I'm the kind of guy who likes FREE stuff. Norton is a good product but why put out the cash if you don't have to? Not worth it in my opinion. I am quite confident in the security of my computer and I haven't paid a penny for it.
In my opinion, Skip the Norton and save the money for a shiny new tool for your shop.
If you need the links to the free stuff I can point you to it:) .
My computer has been adware, spyware and virus FREE for ever.

Jim Becker
10-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Anti-virus...do Norton or McAfee if you want to pay, or AVG if you want a free product. For the firewall, ZoneAlarm is about the best thing going. The free version works great, although the Pro version is much better. I don't happen to like the firewall products from Norton or McAfee as compared to the richer product from ZoneLabs. IMHO, of course. Spyware detection and removal...Ad Aware 6 is free and works great.

And just because you use dialup doesn't mean you shouldn't use a software firewall product!! ZoneAlarm, for example, catches things that are "outbound" from your machine, too...and that's sometimes more of a threat than the inbound stuff.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-02-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm with Jim......Firewall....hard to beat the free version of ZoneAlarm unless it's the pro version.......Norton AV is good.

Charles McKinley
10-03-2004, 5:42 PM
Thanks guys!

I hate looking for a new machine and all the toys I haven't kept up with since leaving school and the work world. I need to get back up to speed with these things so I can return to work some day. I feel a lot better now I have a backp HD on this dinosaur but getting a new machine may help push me back into learning.

Thanks again

Dan Mages
10-03-2004, 9:12 PM
One more vote for Zone Alarm. It is a wonderful program and it is not as much of a resource hog as Norton's firewall.

Dan