PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Lamp

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2009, 9:10 PM
Well decided that after traveling all week that I would do some turning to wind down. Anyway one the way home was thinking of plans to turn a lamp. I had some walnut stock so decided to give it a try. I was extremely pleased at the outcome and already have a few things I will do different. Anyway it is 9 1/2" tall not including the harp. Bottom has felt on it. It has 1 coat of shellac and then 5 coats of lacquer. Sorry for the bad picture but a lady bought it as soon as she saw it and she was headed home. She said she was glad she stayed the extra 1/2 hr with her mother at the retirement home where my wife works. She ordered 4 more and a lady that saw it where my wife worked also ordered 4. I also have a order for 2 from another lady. I am selling them for $42.50.

Greg Just
11-22-2009, 9:21 PM
Nice looking lamps and congrats on the sales. That backlog will keep you busy for a couple of hours!

Kenneth Whiting
11-22-2009, 9:22 PM
Nice lamp Bernie. Good to hear they are selling so fast, too.

Harvey Ghesser
11-22-2009, 9:56 PM
Nice Bernie! Congrats on the sales!

Jarrod McGehee
11-22-2009, 10:32 PM
$42.50 with the shade? next you gotta turn lampshades out of maple or pine and VERY thin. :D

Richard Madison
11-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Very attractive lamp Bernie! The word "stylish" comes to mind. Good call on the part of your customers.

Aaron Wingert
11-22-2009, 11:34 PM
At $42.50 they're getting a heck of a deal! Those are some beautiful lamps Bernie, nice work.

John Keeton
11-23-2009, 7:10 AM
Nice job, Bernie! But, I have to agree with the others on price. After this bunch, I would raise the price for future lamps! By the time you figure materials, and put in a factor for shop tools (one has to amortize that cost in product produced), you are getting nothing for your time. The lamps are nice, and they simply are not available in furniture stores in solid walnut. They need to be priced accordingly. Heck, at $42.00, Walmart sells this!

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/80/25/13/12/0080251312881_150X150.jpg
$42.00
Was: $49.88

http://www.walmart.com/i/if/item/icn_rollback.gif

Canopy Oil-Rubbed Bronze Table Lamp

Jeff Luedloff
11-23-2009, 7:44 AM
Bernie, I like the shape and the finish, very nice lamp

Tony De Masi
11-23-2009, 8:02 AM
Nice work there Bernie. I do however have to agree with John K. It seems that those of us who do this mostly as a hobby and at times sell some of our wares tend to way under value our time and talents. You should definately raise the price on any future orders.

Tony

Mike Minto
11-23-2009, 9:38 AM
classy looking lamp, bernie. the walnut is so shiny, and uniformly colored - i like that. hope they sell well!

Richard Madison
11-23-2009, 9:48 AM
The "down" side of pricing is that you can only sell for what the customer is willing to pay, regardless of what you think the piece is "worth". This depends greatly on your market. Bernie has a "feel" for his market and has discussed this in the past. Similarly, a piece that would sell for about $75 in my area might easily bring $175 or more in a more upscale market.

That said, might try $47.50 on the next batch. Just some thoughts.

David Walser
11-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Bernie,

That's a very nice lamp. A pair would look just right as part of a bedroom set.

John Keeton
11-23-2009, 1:55 PM
The "down" side of pricing is that you can only sell for what the customer is willing to pay, regardless of what you think the piece is "worth". This depends greatly on your market. Bernie has a "feel" for his market and has discussed this in the past.Richard, being a newbie to this turning thing, and not frequenting this forum that much, I was unaware of the prior discussion on pricing. I do understand there are a lot of variables, and, of course, one of those is that the turner/artist simply enjoys doing them and price is not that big of a deal.

In any event, IMO the lamp is worth considerably more, and should be priced accordingly. Nonetheless, since Bernie "took orders" for more, apparently he is satisfied with the arrangement and that truly is all that matters!:D

Again, great job on the lamp!

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2009, 6:35 PM
Bernie - really like the simple curves to the lamp! Stylish and modern looking without all the 'detail' work to clutter things up! Congrats on your sales but you do realize that if you keep up with all these orders you will not be retiring in another month!

Have fun with it!

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2009, 6:57 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Anyway the LOML just called and added two more to my list and these are out of cherry.

Steve I know but a least it will be fun and for me.

John K. In my area here we are a farming community. We just can't get those high prices as some do. I sold a salad bowl set for $300 here and my son sold two sets of the same thing for $675 and $875. I probably could get triple what I get here back there for the lamps.

So far my cost in the lamps is $17 total. Takes me about a 45 minutes to do one so at $23 a hour I surely will take that.

Steve Mawson
11-23-2009, 7:54 PM
Agree with you on the pricing. I believe I am kind of in the middle here in Lincoln as far as pricing goes but we are surrounded by farming communities

Nice lamp as well.

Michael O'Sullivan
11-23-2009, 8:01 PM
How do you hollow the core (where the cord goes)? Do you cut the blank in half, hollow a groove and re-glue, or do you bore it out?

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2009, 8:21 PM
How do you hollow the core (where the cord goes)? Do you cut the blank in half, hollow a groove and re-glue, or do you bore it out?

Michael I used a long 3/8" drill bit and bored it out. You have to go slow or it will wonder on you. I found if I drilled from both ends it works out pretty well. I also use a steady rest to keep it steady. You can buy lamp augers that work well also.

Jim Kountz
11-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Love the lamp Bernie, good looking form!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2009, 9:52 PM
Thanks Jim.