PDA

View Full Version : Master Bathroom Cabinet Recently Finished

Larry Fox
11-22-2009, 8:44 PM
I finished this cabinet up a little while ago and thought I would share. It is just fairly basic cabinet, nothing very special going on. Made with a combination of solid stock with quite a bit of shop-cut veneer in it for panels and such. Dimensions are about 94" tall, 30" wide and 12" deep. It is of my wife's design. Sorry for the poor photography, I have a pretty small bathroom.

Wood - walnut.
Finish - 2x applications of BLO, 2x coats of orange shellac from Homestead, 3x topcoats of satin USL, rubbed with 4x0000 steel wool and wax.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff Monson
11-22-2009, 8:55 PM
Larry, nice cabinet, I like the way the grain flows on the end panels!! Very simple yet elegant design.

Jim Becker
11-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Really nice work, Larry.

Sam Layton
11-23-2009, 11:35 AM
That is a good looking cabinet Larry. You have added a lot of usefull storage. I really like how the finish turned out. How did you apply the finish? Your photo is very good. Bathrooms are hard to photo, they are mostly all on the small side for photo'ing.

Good job, Sam

John Keeton
11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Larry, you did a superb job on the design of this cabinet. Small spaces like that are tough, but it really fits the space and doesn't overwhelm the small room. Beautiful work, too, by the way! The BLO and shellac really brought the color out on the walnut. I have a gallon of the EM6000 and intend to try the sprayed WB finishes - maybe spring! How long did you wait to rub it out?

Larry Fox
11-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Sam: Except for the BLO which I wiped on, everything is sprayed on. To the extent possible everything was finished prior to assembly. For such a smallish cabinet this thing had a LOT of surface area, I had parts all over the place. :)

John: I waited ~110 hours after applying the last coat of 6000 before wolling / waxing it. I didn't fill the pores so I used a dark wax.

John Thompson
11-23-2009, 3:58 PM
Nothing going on with the cabinet.... huh! :) What's going on Larry is you have a well designed cabinet.. you did an excellent job of grain match on the end panels and the finish came out absolutely great.

Other than that... keep up the work on those "nothing going on" projects as there may be much more "going on" than you take credit for. ;)

Larry Fox
11-23-2009, 4:26 PM
HA - thanks John. One thing I forgot to mention is that the doors / drawers and the face-frames are double-beaded. The beads don't show in the photo so it makes it look like the gaps around the doors and drawers is REALLY big.

frank shic
11-25-2009, 11:12 PM
larry can we get a front view of that lovely cabinet you built?

Mark Fox
11-26-2009, 2:09 AM
Anyone with a last name like that has to make great furniture. Nice job...

Mark

glenn bradley
11-26-2009, 10:21 AM
That came out great. Good design, nice fit in the space and great material. Well done.

gary Zimmel
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Great looking cabinet Larry.

Jim Kountz
11-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Great job on this, love the panels and tell your wife the design is perfect!!

Steve Bagi
11-26-2009, 1:43 PM
Really nice work Larry. Did you make the crown yourself?

Steve

Paul Greathouse
11-26-2009, 9:58 PM
Great looking cabinet Larry,

Seeing it just re-enforced the belief that I made the right decision in buying 1200bdft of Black Walnut to build my new kitchen cabinets, which is well underway as I write this. Nothing to show yet but I will post some pictures as things start to go togeather.

Roy Wall
11-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Nothing going on with the cabinet.... huh! :) What's going on Larry is you have a well designed cabinet.. you did an excellent job of grain match on the end panels and the finish came out absolutely great.

Other than that... keep up the work on those "nothing going on" projects as there may be much more "going on" than you take credit for. ;)

John is exactly right -- this is very nice cabinet......Fine Woodworking to a "T".