PDA

View Full Version : Another Disston: D8 with "fingerhole" w/pics

Vince Sandy
10-02-2004, 3:36 PM
LOML and I were at the big annual Hillsville, VA Labor Day weekend flea market. Think HUGE. We spent about 7 hours looking over the acres of vendors' stuff. A bunch of tools (as usual) and prices were too high (as usual). But I did run across this D8 hand saw with oversized handle that has the additional finger hole at the top. I couldn't resist at $12.00.

The saw is pre-1917, as dated by the medallion. The handle appears to be apple, but it is lighter in color than most of the other Disston apple handles of the saws that I have. Is this handle made of Beech (I'm not sure what Beech looks like). Anyway, the handle is almost perfect except for a couple of small stress cracks and a couple of worm holes. The etch is in really good condition (one of the best I have). The blade is about full width which indicates minimal use. It is filed rip at 5 PPI which results in big teeth.

Pics show before and after conditions.

Vince

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-02-2004, 8:48 PM
Pretty good gloat there Vince.

I have been lucky enough to pick up a # 7 and a D8. The medalions are different The D8 medalion is Identical to yours but the medalion on the #7 does not have the double ring around the keystone. Would this mean that my D8 is also pre 1917 and the #7 is post 1917?

I haven't finished cleaning them both up, but the handle of the D8 is very light in color - probably birch and has the extra hole, too. When I get them cleaned up, I'll post a picture.

Bruce

Vince Sandy
10-02-2004, 9:07 PM
Hey Bruce, I look forward to the pictures. For Disston information I usually use the information at the Disstionian Institute web site. Here's the address just in case you've never been there:

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medallionpage.html

Can't really make an accurate estimate of the age of the #7 based on the medallion without seeing it first. But, based on what I saw at the site, the #7 is probably pre 1896. The medallion shown in the pics above and on your #8 appears to be the first medallion with the keystone circled.

I'm familiar with the 1896-1917 medallion because most of the Disston saws I come across have that medallion. Must have been good years for Disston, at least for shipments to North Carolina.

Vince

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-03-2004, 8:23 PM
Boy Vince:

You're starting to Make my Day. The #7 still has the starter tic on top and looks like it has NEVER been sharpened.

Thanks for the information. I'm going over there to see what's what. I will definitely post pictures of both, when they're cleaned up.

Take care,

Bruce

Mike King, Sherwood Pk., AB
10-03-2004, 8:45 PM
I've been scoring planes lately and a couple of saws on the side. If they look that good underneath I should get busy. yep. (I only buy Disstons..)

Jerry Palmer
10-04-2004, 1:57 PM
Vince,
The darker color seen on a lot (most) of the older saw totes is a combination of grime and the liberal use of linseed oil on the wood. Linseed oil is photo reactive and combined with the grime from use makes those older saw totes darker in color.

That one is a great find, and a nice job or restoration.

Roger Nixon
10-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi Vince, the handle on your saw looks like apple that is getting dry. Put some linseed oil on it to darken it up and keep the wood in good shape. It's a dandy.

Bruce, please don't use the nib on your #7 as a "starter tic". That is why so many nibs are broken off (like my latest #12 rip).

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-05-2004, 9:31 PM
Thanks for the Comment Roger, but I wasn't thinking of even using the saw, Just clean it up and show it off. hehe

Bruce