PDA

View Full Version : One goes out....one comes in....

Scott Shepherd
11-22-2009, 6:59 PM
We always seem to hear to things going out of business, but never of things going into business. Just went to a brand new H.H.Gregg that opened up here. They opened 2 stores in town, I think, both moved into old Circuit City stores. Interesting store. Must have had 500 flat screen tv's in boxes on the floor, anticipating to sell them all. Could have done without the pushy sales staff, but overall, a new store, many 100's of people back to work. Good to see.

Across the street, a new REI opened up. Glad to see that open. Love that store. Saw one on the west coast several years ago. Again, lots more jobs there for people.

Across the parking lot from that, a Home Goods store opened last month. In the same parking lot, there's a Whole Foods that opened up about 6 months ago.

Considering what's on the news every day, there sure seem to be a lot of new stores opening up around here. Either they know something the news doesn't, or they are stupid :)

How about your area? Got anything opening up?

Tim Morton
11-22-2009, 7:35 PM
Can't judge anything by Vermont standards....but i noticed there is a new store opening in a parking lot on the road to my work...they sell gourmet soup...hot ready to eat....i live for the little things in life.

http://www.smokinbowls.com/

i am diggin the "new location"...:cool:

Keith Starosta
11-22-2009, 7:39 PM
H.H. Gregg is moving into the the old Circuit City in the Central Park shopping center, here in Fredericksburg. Looking forward to checking it out.

- Keith

Jude Tuliszewski
11-22-2009, 8:17 PM
HH Gregg here as well. Sales people are 100 % commission so they will be more in your face. That place seems the same as the rest too me.

Keith Outten
11-22-2009, 9:33 PM
Tractor Supply opened a store Saturday November 21st here in Gloucester County.

Mitchell Andrus
11-23-2009, 7:55 AM
Pent-up demand is gonna POP in the spring/summer. rents are down so the big boxes are getting good deals on long term, large SF leases.

Don't listen to the news. Go to a mall and watch. It's turning. My wife and I are in NC working on the house and the mall lots are 75% full. Of course... black Friday is this week.

Sean Troy
11-23-2009, 8:07 AM
Tractor Supply opened a store Saturday November 21st here in Gloucester County.
Now thats good news. Great store and fun to shop at !!

Jim Rimmer
11-23-2009, 1:01 PM
Looking at the locations of the people responding here it seems that Virginia is doing well right now.

Charlie Knauer
11-23-2009, 6:16 PM
Lowes is planning on 2 new stores in my area. One where a Chevy dealer is closing. It will also be Lowes first store in Baltimore City. I hope you are right about pent up demand.

Charlie

Keith Outten
11-23-2009, 9:36 PM
Jim,

Virginia has been very lucky, we are not suffering anywhere near as much as other states. Although I'm not an ecconomist I expect the reason we are being spared the worst of it is because of government jobs and military presence here and the fact that the majority of our large manufacturing businesses sell their products to the government. We still have a fair agricultural base that helps to temper things in the short run as well.

Scott Shepherd
11-24-2009, 8:30 AM
Probably doesn't hurt that our state law says we must have a balanced budget each year. Not sure how much that helps, but you have to think it can be nothing but help to not be in debt at this time.

Rob Robinson VT
11-24-2009, 7:25 PM
Can't judge anything by Vermont standards....but i noticed there is a new store opening in a parking lot on the road to my work...they sell gourmet soup...hot ready to eat....i live for the little things in life.

http://www.smokinbowls.com/

i am diggin the "new location"...:cool:
You must be a neighbor! We pass that corner every time we go down the mountain and saw that little shed weekend before last but they weren't open yet. Have you tried their soups yet and, if so, please to rate as we're always lookin' for new places to eat. :cool:

Rob Robinson VT
11-24-2009, 7:50 PM
With over 700 Circuit City locations and 100+ Tweeter locations closing in the past year there's lots of prime big box real estate on the market these days, making great opportunities for regional retailers looking to expand. Here in metro NY the P.C. Richard chain has taken over a couple of the old CC locations. From what I'm reading in the trades (I'm in the consumer electronics biz), flat-screen TVs, Blu-ray players and GPS systems are gonna be hot items this season and some of the Black Friday deals are pretty amazing!

Scott Shepherd
11-24-2009, 8:49 PM
From what I'm reading in the trades (I'm in the consumer electronics biz), flat-screen TVs, Blu-ray players and GPS systems are gonna be hot items this season and some of the Black Friday deals are pretty amazing!

Yeah, gotta gid rid of all those old 720p sets ;)

Rob Robinson VT
11-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah, gotta gid rid of all those old 720p sets ;)
Don't write off those 720p sets just yet, they're great bargains these days and if you're viewing a set smaller than 42" in an average room it's very unlikely you're going to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.