PDA

View Full Version : Delta [Invicta] 6 inch jointer

Doug Donnell
11-22-2009, 3:53 PM
Ok, just inspected a 21 YO Delta 6 inch jointer. I think the seller is asking a bit much at $450 but the machine appears to be in good shape. Sadly, the daughter is selling her Dad's equipment after he passed away a year ago. She sold a Delta Unisaw for $550 an hour before I got there, and if in the same shape as the jointer I think she under priced that by a bit, based on what I have read here.

Two issues, she had the machine moved from her father's basement shop up to the garage to facilitate selling it. Unfortunately there is no 220 v in the garage, so no way to test run the machine. How hard are bearings to replace in the event it screams and wails when plugged in? Is it important enough to ask her if I may rewire the motor to 110 for a test run? How hard is that and how long should I expect it to take (having never done it before)?

Second issue, the fence is not flat. It does not appear to be twisted (checked it with a Starrett 6 inch combination square against the tables), but placing the Veritas 36 inch straight edge along the fence face resulted in noticeable rocking of the straight edge, across the high point that appears to be right in the middle of the fence where the mounting points are. The rocking appeared to result in a 1/32" (perhaps a bit more, I only eyeballed it) gap on either end of the straight edge as its rocked.

Is the fence issue a non-starter? It would seem that as long as the fence can be squared to the tables and has no twist, that its lack of flatness in one plane would not necessarily degrade from the accuracy of edge jointing. Am I missing something?

The tables appear extremely flat. I could not get a .0015 feeler under the straight edge on the infeed table at all, and only got it partially under the straight edge on the outfeed table in one spot. The .002 feeler couldn't get under at that same position. It will come with the manual and has an extra set of knives (the ones in the head are pretty nicked).

This is more than I intended to put into a 6 inch jointer, I was thinking more in terms of a Ridgid at $250 to $325. A couple of 8 inchers are available, but one is out of price range and the other seller has not been responsive. That one also has a 3 phase motor and a phase converter. I have questions about that one in another thread.

What is the group's opinion on a fair price for this Delta machine if I elect to make on offer? Not looking to steal it, but I am looking for a good deal and I am willing to be patient for a couple more weeks (although I need to move on something soon).

Thoughts?

Doug

Jeff Willard
11-22-2009, 6:15 PM
A new Grizzly, with warranty, shipped, is only $470.

Simon Dupay
11-22-2009, 6:40 PM
I'd say ask $300-400, also this machine was worth over $1,000 new and it's a much higher quality level then a new Chinese machine, so in the long run it's much better deal even if it needs work. (that's part of the fun anways!:D) Don't be worried about the fence not being flat.

Bob Aquino
11-22-2009, 6:55 PM
I would say both the fence and the price make it a non starter. There are plenty of older deltas, powermatics and the like floating around out there to go with this machine. I've never heard anything bad or good about the Invictas, so for me it would come down to condition and price.

Jack Camillo
11-22-2009, 7:02 PM
I would say both the fence and the price make it a non starter. There are plenty of older deltas, powermatics and the like floating around out there to go with this machine. I've never heard anything bad or good about the Invictas, so for me it would come down to condition and price.

+1
And another thought. If she won't take a hundred bucks, move on. Don't know why you would want to mess with something like that unless it was practically free. And even then, you could be wasting your time. It is, after all, only 6 inches.

Dan Friedrichs
11-22-2009, 8:50 PM
A new Grizzly, with warranty, shipped, is only $470.

+1. It's a jointer. If the tables are flat, it's fine. There really aren't serious things to worry about beyond that.

I'd offer $200.